Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Just Played the Zelda Wind Waker Demo! (merged)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Just Played the Zelda Wind Waker Demo! (merged)

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-03, 12:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Just Played the Zelda Wind Waker Demo!

Yeah Yeah I know a lot of you are big time people in the Biz and have already played through this one but for the rest of us this is exciting news.

Apparently Nintendo has a new demo disk out with Zelda on it. I played it at my local Best Buy and wow I can't wait till I get this one. It really is more of an evolution than a revolution of the series but I think that people will definately not be disappointed. It really is a great game that lives up to all its hype....so far.

The demo has three different scenarios:
A dungeon
A stealth mission
A Boss

I played the dungeon and the Boss but could not figure out how to beat it before I decided to leave it for when I get the actual game.

The game really does play like a cartoon.

The only downside is that the game is very similar to the N64 incarnations of our favorite green suited Hyrulian. It really isn't a fault but it might not be as revolutionary as Metroid Prime. Other than that it looks like another first rate title from the big N.

March can't come soon enough.
Old 01-28-03, 05:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I played this at a Cube Club a few months ago and I think the game might be more revolutionary than you say. First off, the graphics are revolutionary. I never talk much about graphics but these graphics really do make the game better. All the little touches really make this game look realistic even though the graphics themselves are anything but. It's an amazing combination that may never be seen again. Then there's the function of the wind. I have no idea how it works but I'm assuming it will have an impact similar to time in Zelda: MM or traveling between the light and dark worlds in Zelda: ALTTP.

The basic gameplay does seem to be pretty much the same as previous Zelda games but that shouldn't come as a surprise. One of the reasons that Metroid Prime was so widely loved was because it kept the same great elements of gameplay from the previous Metroid games. Wind Waker does have new additions however like hiding in barrels, difference between light and dark (thanks to some fabulous lighting), and who knows what else.
Old 01-28-03, 05:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I also played it at a Cube Club and was very impressed as well. Hopefully, people who aren't fans of the new style will at least give the game a chance.

The combat is supposed to be significantly more enjoyable than in the N64 incarnations.

Can't wait for this one.
Old 01-28-03, 05:22 AM

glad I've paid off my whole pre order for this. All I gotta do is pick it up. I cant wait
Old 01-28-03, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I don't have a GameCube, but I saw a segment recently on Extended Play where they showed the Japanese version. I don't understand why people were getting so upset about this game. It looked great.

This and Metroid are making me consider having 3 consoles.
Old 01-28-03, 07:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
When I first played this at Cube Club I was blown away. A few minutes in I'm thinking Zelda should always be done with cell animation. I've never seen a game that looked better. Its like playing a classic Disney cartoon with the quality of the animation.

I haven't liked every animated game I've seen, but Zelda looks like a masterpiece.
Old 01-28-03, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i totally like the way zelda looks.
Old 01-28-03, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I played this yesterday at EB and I have to agree! I preordered through Amazon a week or two ago, and I can't wait for March to come. I am also looking forward to the bonus disk because I never got the chance to finish the game, and perhaps I will be able to work through it before WW comes.

One thought that I had was that the controls were a little confusing, but it will just take time, and a proper diagram of the controls, for me to get used to it.

-CM-
Old 01-28-03, 11:27 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The look is growing on me. I've always hated cel-shaded graphics, but I've never even considered writing off zelda because of them. Maybe I'm just biased because the games I've played with cel-shaded graphics (the jet set series namely) sucked ass.
Old 01-28-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I might not be into the graphics ( yet )...it's just been too long since I played a Zelda game. The first Gameboy Zelda was the last one I ever got to play. I've missed out and look forward to playing this one. If the story and gameplay are as good as I hear then I'm sure the graphics will grow on me.
Old 01-28-03, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Just Played the Zelda Wind Waker Demo!

Originally posted by tanman
The only downside is that the game is very similar to the N64 incarnations of our favorite green suited Hyrulian.
What may I ask is so bad about that? btw, when is the pre-order disc of zelda (Ocarina of time / master quest) being shipped?
Old 01-28-03, 01:17 PM
Retired

The bonus disc ships Feb. 16.
Old 01-28-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

sweet!!
Old 01-28-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Re: Just Played the Zelda Wind Waker Demo!

Originally posted by SuprVgeta
What may I ask is so bad about that? btw, when is the pre-order disc of zelda (Ocarina of time / master quest) being shipped?
That's why if you would just keep reading I state that it is really not a fault just that it won't be as revolutionary as Metroid Prime.
Old 01-29-03, 02:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes Link, I too am excited
Old 02-07-03, 06:28 PM

Zelda GC demo at BestBuy

Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Played some Zelda at Best Buy this afternoon, looks and runs great...can't wait until I get it. The controls were a bit sluggish and strange, hopefully they fix it, or I get used to it.
Old 02-08-03, 01:12 AM

Sounds cool, I was at Best Buy today too in the afternoon. I checked the demo booth but no Zelda demo , but then again my local best buy is kinda slow about these things, took them forever to get the Metroid PRIME demo. I had an extra half hour to spare so i thought I'd check Gamestop, but they didn't have it either. Ah well...hope it will be next week.
Old 02-08-03, 03:50 AM
IIG
DVD Talk Special Edition

When I played it, it played just fine... Identical to the N64 Zeldas, actually. Did you play those?
Old 02-08-03, 05:19 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Sounds cool, I was at Best Buy today too in the afternoon. I checked the demo booth but no Zelda demo , but then again my local best buy is kinda slow about these things, took them forever to get the Metroid PRIME demo. I had an extra half hour to spare so i thought I'd check Gamestop, but they didn't have it either. Ah well...hope it will be next week.
When the new Nintendo Demo Discs are out has more to do with the local Nintendo rep, and less to do with the individual store.
Old 02-09-03, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just played it today at my BB. All I can say is "OH. MY. GOD."
I really expected to hate it because it looked so cartoony from the pics. But the pics don't do the game any kind of justice whatsoever because the beauty in the game is the fluidity of movement. Any everything just seems so REAL. Link never slides along walls or touches anything without his fingers ACCURATELY gripping it, unlike so many other "3D" games. Discostu, I don't know why you thought the controls were sluggish or strange. To me they were smooth and instinctive. Took me less than a minute to master everything. I will be picking it up the minute it hits the stores. I can't WAIT!!!
Old 02-09-03, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Virex
When the new Nintendo Demo Discs are out has more to do with the local Nintendo rep, and less to do with the individual store.
Thats what I figured. My town is pretty big, but I guess the reps don't consider it a major gaming metropolis like other larger cities and don't visit as often.
Old 02-09-03, 10:52 PM

thanks for the teaser hahn... yeah i love the attention nintendo pays to details when it comes to the games they know we love like Zelda.. (so it was that good huh? =) got a big grin just reading your mini review)

im counting the days to release
Old 02-10-03, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Zelda GC demo at BestBuy

Originally posted by discostu1337
Didn't see this posted anywhere yet. Played some Zelda at Best Buy this afternoon, looks and runs great...can't wait until I get it. The controls were a bit sluggish and strange, hopefully they fix it, or I get used to it.
apparently didn't do a search.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=266901
Old 02-11-03, 08:25 AM

Deleted. That was totally unnecessary.

Just another reason why it's better to just use the RTPTAM link instead of posting in the thread when you think something needs moderator attention. Merging threads. - Static