Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Xbox crashes - MS wants me to pay - Any suggestions?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-03, 10:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read from people on here that they've called MS about problems with their Xbox and said that MS waived the fee ... Well every message board I go to people are having their first generation Boxes crashing when they play Dead or Alive Xtreme Beach Volleyball. After the fights it gets to the Now Loading screen and then it hangs and the music skips and nothing happens.

Yes, I do have a Tompson drive. Isn't that reason enough to have it replaced? I called and told the rep that it happens on both of my friends 'Boxes that are first gen and not on my friends with the new 'Box. He took note of it and didn't say anything. They want to charge $100.

Any suggestions to help me out? It crashes about 3 out of 5 rounds of volleyball played.
Old 01-27-03, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Call back until you get a CSR that says they'll do it for free.
Old 01-28-03, 02:13 AM

But they put all this information down on file - they'll see that I just keep calling, right? I'm not about to pay $100
Old 01-28-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does your X-Box crash when playing other games or just DOAX?
Old 01-28-03, 03:02 AM

It's only started happening with DOAX - but it's the first game I've ever used custom soundtracks on... Hm.
Old 01-28-03, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know you wrote that it works on your friend's new X-Box but try out your other games to see if they work on your Box. There was a batch of Serious Sam cds that were defective that caused the Box to have the DDE problem, this might be a similar type of problem.

Also try not using the custom soundtrack.

If it still fails, do as "juiio" and keep calling back until you get a freebie. I'll try to think of something else you can try and respond in the future.
Old 01-28-03, 05:24 AM

100 dollars to fix it? thats messed up seriously they ought to do it for free.
Old 01-28-03, 07:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

100 dollars to fix it? thats messed up seriously they ought to do it for free.
I don't know about doing it for free, but... charging $100 for a repair is a lot considering it costs $200 for a brand-new one.
Old 01-28-03, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
My Xbox had problems when I had it with the green screen of death popping up and they fixed it for free out of warranty. I guess you need to talk to the right person in customer service.
Old 01-28-03, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Keep calling them. Be polite but at the same time be firm. And keep saying how disappointed you are and that you'd reconsider buying any other XBox products in the future. Something like this;

you; "I'm really disappointed by these turn of events. I fully expect that when I purchase a product that it would do what it's supposed to. I know it's personally not your fault Mr./Ms. Customer Support Person."

CSR: "well we're very sorry but there's nothing we can do."

You; " Well I just didn't expect this to happen. I'd hate to say it but this experience is forcing me to reconsider purchasing another XBox in the future."

If that doesn't do it, then wiegh the cost of getting it fixed against purchasing a new one.
Old 01-28-03, 10:26 AM

Well, you're problem actually sounds different than the "Dirty Disc Error" porblems that most people have been complaining about. I know that they sre fixing those for free but yours may be different. I agree with the other guys that said you should just call back. Other people have had good luck with that although it may take 4-5 calls. Can't hurt to try.
Old 01-28-03, 10:41 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You're probably out of luck there. I'd just keep calling and hope you luck out. If not you either pay the $100 or say screw it.

I had a Tivo break on my a month after warranty. Lightning got the crappy modem even though the phone line and power were surge protected. It was (and maybe still is) a common problem with Tivo's. They wanted $90 to fix it, so I just threw it in the trash and will never by another Tivo product. If you can't make better products than that (or at least stand by them when the cheap parts you put in them crap out) then your not getting money from me ever again. Luckily I had won that one in a contest, so I wasn't out anything. It was just the principle of the matter. As well as the fact that I didn't think the Tivo was worth $90 on top of the $9.95 a month fee as I don't watch much TV.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-28-03 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-28-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

How can one tell if their Xbox has a Tompson drive?
Old 01-28-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts
Take it to Costco - they'll take back anything without a reciept, as long as they have it in stock.
Old 01-28-03, 05:54 PM

Originally posted by CreatureX
How can one tell if their Xbox has a Tompson drive?
Check this site. It has pictures that show the difference between the Thomson and Phillips drives.

http://www.precisionmods.com/xbox-dvdrom.htm
Old 01-28-03, 09:15 PM

There is also a Samsung drive in some of them as well. My cousin bought one a few weeks ago (Sega bundle) and it has the Samsung in it.

The Samsung tray has holes around the edge.