Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Bourne Identity

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-03, 08:24 PM
WaD

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bourne Identity

Comments please on the '88 & '02 versions please.

Which did you like better or dislike both?

buy, rent or forget?

thanks
Old 01-25-03, 06:32 AM

Re: Bourne Identity

Originally posted by WaD
Comments please on the '88 & '02 versions please.
I really wanted to like the '02 version... The problem is that only a few days ago I watched the '88 version, and when the '02 version ended, I sat there shaking my head. It was very loosely based upon the book and never addressed the meaning of the title. The '88 version, while not as slick as the '02 (it was a made-for-TV movie after all), had me guessing the whole way and was truer to the book.
Old 01-25-03, 10:10 AM

Heh, I heard the '88 version sucked.
Old 01-25-03, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Halofan1
Heh, I heard the '88 version sucked.
I have heard alot of movies sucked....especially from top reviewers of movies. If I listened to them....I probably would miss out on alot of good stuff.
Old 01-25-03, 12:05 PM
JLB
DVD Talk Special Edition

Never saw the '88 version, so I cannot comment on that one. And I read the book so long ago I cannot compare the story line of the new DVD to the book.

I can say that I thoroughly enjoyed the movie. I really liked the European feel of everything. The DVD was very nice. Video was excellent and the DTS soundtrack was quite nice. Nice deep low end, especially during fight sequences and excellent use of surrounds, especially for ambient exterior sounds....
Old 01-25-03, 02:36 PM

I have to agree on the DTS track, one of the best I have heard in a while. The storm scene at the beginning is very well done and sounds incredible!
Old 01-26-03, 06:32 PM
WaD

From what I have heard, the '88 version had a more complex plot which made it truer to the book, which I have not read.

The '02 version was more action-oriented.

In other words, a case could be made for both.
Old 01-27-03, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the book about 2 months ago and watched the 02 version tonight. The 02 version would be good if you hadn't read the book, but I felt very frustrated at the movie....
Old 01-27-03, 10:25 AM
Suspended

I really liked the '02 version, havent seen the 88 version.

Matt Damon is perfect for this part - go ahead and name a better actor for the part. I dare you............and if you say Colin Farrell I'm gonna scream

P.S. I loooove Colin Farrell as an actor, but this was Damons vehicle
Old 01-27-03, 01:05 PM

I've read the book and seen the made for TV version, so I purchased the 2002 Bourne Identity with high hopes of it being close to the plot of the book. Well its not anything like the book or the TV version. The only part of the book which is used in the 2002 movie is the character's name and the situation that he has lost his memory. The rest has been left out, especially a huge piece of the plot which involved Jason Bourne up against a villian named Carlos.

If I hadn't read the book, I'd probably find the movie somewhat entertaining. Its more of a modern action movie with fast paced Matrix-like fighting scenes. Even if I hadn't read the book, there are some huge plot holes which may leave some viewers wondering what Jason Bourne is, man or machine. The problem with adapting this book to film is that the plot is enormous, and it contains numerous vital subplots. The Bourne Identity really is an original concept for a spy movie, and its unfortunate that a studio didn't see the franchise value that this series of books could have been if done correctly, like a Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter.

As for the DVD, which is what most of you really want to hear about, its a decent presentation. The video is very clear, and both the DD 5.1 and DTS tracks use the surrounds and sub well throughout the film. I think most action fans will enjoy this as a mindless action movie, hopefully enticing them to pick up the novel which is a complex spy thriller filled with twists and turns.
Old 01-28-03, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I thought the '02 movie was excellent. I thought Matt Damon was great in the part.

I can't remember the '88 version of the same movie although I vaguely remember seeing it.
Old 01-28-03, 04:18 PM
Cool New Member

i would definately say that the original version of the movie was better. read the books years ago and then watched the movie. was actually pleased from what i remember.

when the new release came out, i was sadly disappointed how loose it was too the book. it wasnt a bad movie, just nothing like the book.
Old 02-01-03, 03:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the 2002 version was action packed and fun to watch.
Old 02-07-03, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Worth buying in my opinion. I really loved the 2002 version...better than the 88 version too.
Old 02-07-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PhYbEr
I have to agree on the DTS track, one of the best I have heard in a while. The storm scene at the beginning is very well done and sounds incredible!
I would agree as well. Very impressive audio on the disc. The movie is good too.
Old 02-09-03, 12:40 PM
Suspended

This is a fast moving and well made spy thriller. Kudos to Doug Liman, Matt Damon and the awesome Franka Portente. Nice dvd too. Available for a reasonable price too.
Old 02-10-03, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
02' version was a great popcorn flick.

-k
###