Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Has anyone heard anything by Loose Fur (Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche, Jim O'Rourke) yet?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Has anyone heard anything by Loose Fur (Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche, Jim O'Rourke) yet?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I knew that Jeff Tweedy, Glenn Kotche and Jim O'Rourke have been collaborating for a while now, but I had no idea that they had a band name or were releasing an album (on Jan. 28). Has anyone heard it yet? How is it?
Old 01-23-03, 12:58 AM
drc
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've only heard one song. You can download it at their record company's website: Drag City Records. It's on the left side in the new music preview section.

FWIW, I think there is a review up at rollingstone.com.
Old 01-26-03, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've only heard the song at the Drag City Records site. It sounds like... well, it sounds like Wilco with Jim O'Rourke. Seriously. I tried to get the dude at Best Buy to put the cd out a few days early, but alas, he was unrelenting. Guess we'll have to wait till Tuesday.
Old 02-02-03, 01:16 AM

Has anyone else picked this up yet? I grabbed it Monday night, and I've been trying to make my mind up about it ever since.

One thing I can say is that it's really growing on me. I've never been a big fan of skronk or noise pop, and Jim O'Rourke sometimes takes things too far. Somehow, the songs work holistically, and all three members have their trademarks therein. Tweedy's brooding, Kotche's experimental whimsicality, and O'Rourke's well... noise. I hated "So Long" at first, but now I'm completely into it, maybe because I can somewhat see what's being done musically.

I wouldn't say it's YHF quality, because few things are, but I still think it's a smart album.
Old 02-02-03, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://pitchforkmedia.com/record-rev...oose-fur.shtml

I don't know if that will help or not, but there it is.
Old 02-03-03, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Let me first say, I'm a HUGE Wilco fan.

This CD is good and worth owning but I'm afraid it suffers from the "we"re so good, we can improvise" rut that musicians fall into. The noise of "So Long" is irritating but you can hear something through the noise. I suppose that is the point. But at least bands like Zappa and Captain Beefheart wrote down their noise on paper. It seems like Loose Fur was just an experiment in the studio. The songs are too long and too repetitive. Again, the repetition of a groove is great for the people playing it but usually not so good for the listener.

All that being said, I think the CD is good especially "Chinese Apple." Tweedy can stand alone and some of the best stuff I ever heard from him is his solo stuff where its Jeff and his guitar.