Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Jerry Cantrell Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-03, 03:48 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd been wanting Degradation Trip for sometime, but had never gotten around to picking it up for whatever reason.

To my surprise, when I find it on the shelf in Best Buy there is a new version (that I didn't know existed) called "Degradation Trip Volumes 1 & 2." It's is a 25 song double album, with 11 unreleased songs mixed in with the original 14.

According to the liner notes this is the way Cantrell wanted the album released, but the label balked at putting out a double album, so he compromised and agreed to cut it down to a single album as long as they promised to release the whole thing in the future.

So basically, this is the full album as he made it, so if you like Degradation Trip, sell it and pick up Volumes 1 & 2. The extra songs are awesome, right up there with the 14 on Degradation Trip.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 01-23-03 at 10:43 AM.
Old 01-23-03, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yeah, it is an awsome set.

i played it for a week straight!
Old 01-23-03, 11:34 AM

re:

I love his new album, and was planning on picking up the double CD, but you are the first person I've seen who has given the extra tracks a good review. Every review I've seen says stick with the single album and that the rest is dead weight. Maybe I'll pick it up if it comes to BMG.
Old 01-23-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,076 Likes on 651 Posts
Might have to check this out. I like Degradation Trip so it may be worth it.

Since ya'll are fans...give me your opinion. Do you feel that Cantrell's solo stuff is as strong as his Alice in Chains songs? It just seems to me like the solo albums miss the bite of the Alice songs even though the same guy is doing most of the writing. Is Staley to Cantrell as Lennon was to McCartney? (or vice versa)

Both Lennon and McCartney solo music was never as strong as their Beatles tunes. Not to compare these guys to the Fab "Two" but just a thought.
Old 01-23-03, 11:39 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think this album is fairly close to being AIC quality. The first one wasn't at all though. It was decent, but not in the same league as anything by AIC.
Old 01-24-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's hard to compare them, because you do not have the "layne factor" which creates a HUGE dynamic for AIC and adds so much.

Degradation Trip 1,2 are so damn good, and easily as good as AIC minus Layne. But as I said in an earlier thread, at times I'm creeped out because it sounds like Layne is on this record.

Buy it, you won't be dissappointed.
Old 01-24-03, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I don't think his solo offerings are anywhere near as awesome as AIC was. I mean, I realize he wrote the majority of the songs, but without Layne, it just doesn't work. At least he isn't using the AIC name though. He's kind of a dick too from what I hear.
Old 01-27-03, 11:19 AM

What's different about Jerry's solo stuff, is 1) his voice is smoother and doesn't stand out above the music as much and 2) some of the songs take on a little more of a bluegrass/country feel...but just a tinge. I think AIC was a heavier band, and Layne's voice had a lot to do with that.