Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

I want to buy some HK Bruce Lee DVDs here

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 01-21-03, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will use the links.. but what I need to know is..... is the HK version DVD like HkFlick of all the Bruce Lee DVDs as good quality as the US Region 1 version of "Enter the Dragon". Are the HK version DVD good quality ?? Help advise is appreciated.
Old 01-21-03, 12:47 PM

Enter the Dragon r1 is the very best Bruce Lee DVD. HK Media Asia versions are the decent, but surpased by HKL DVDs. The remaster job is incredible.
Old 01-21-03, 12:57 PM

HK Media Asia versions are the decent, but surpased by HKL DVDs. The remaster job is incredible.
True, but the Universe releases (I don't think Media Asia was involved?) have the original Mandarin soundtracks while the HKL uses Cantonese dubs that were done several years later.

I'd get both versions just for completist reasons, because I do love Bey Logan's commentary. Plus, the Universe versions are only about $6.

Jeff

Last edited by Truffaut Fan; 01-21-03 at 01:01 PM.
Old 01-21-03, 03:49 PM

What is this

"but surpased by HKL DVDs"

HKL /....you mean the Hong Kong versions ? Note sure what HKL means. The region 1 seems nice as I have got maybe 1-2 before but the quality was not good. Is the game of death and fist of fury nice in quality ?
Old 01-21-03, 03:53 PM

Where can I get HKL DVDs ???
Old 01-21-03, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Universe/MegaStar have decent pictures but stay away from the Universe "Way of the Dragon" DVD it has a really bad sync problem.

Personally I prefer the R2 HKL(Hong Kong Legend) versions. The Game of Death platinum edition is the best one (weird that the worst movie has the best supplements) because it contains the re-edited footage of Game of Death. It is a direct port of the Japanese version and blows away "The Warrior's Journey" version on picture quality alone. The rest of the HKL discs have the best picture quality and supplementary materials on all of Bruce's films except for ETD.
Old 01-21-03, 06:52 PM

Universe/MegaStar have decent pictures but stay away from the Universe "Way of the Dragon" DVD it has a really bad sync problem.
Really? Is this on both the Cantonese and Mandarin tracks? I just read some reviews which said that all the foley and f/x sounds were new and weren't from the original mix. If that's true, then there's no real reason for me to keep this one. I bought it long ago but never watched it. I may have to put it on tonight just to see how bad it is. The only reason I was keeping it was for the original Mandarin soundtrack but if it's not even really original, then I guess there's no point in keeping it.

While we're on the subject, which of the Bruce Lee films were Mandarin, and which one were English? I think Enter The Dragon and Game Of Death were actually English. Is this correct? Are there any others?? I always prefer to own the original language versions.

Thanks!
Jeff
Old 01-22-03, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Jeff,

I had a chance to check the Universe WoD DVD today and it is bad. At around 83:12 into the disc both Mandarin and Cantonese tracks go out of sync. The Mandarin track is even worse because there are is no voice audio when Bruce does his yells; only foley sounds. The Cantonese track has them but like I said it is totally out of sync, too. The HKflix site also says that it has a sync problem.

http://www.hkflix.com/xq/asp/filmID.696/qx/details.htm

click on additional notes on the bottom of their page.

As for original tracks the only two that were filmed in english were ETD and GoD. Only ETD has Bruce's voice, though. As for the rest of them they all used voice actors. Bruce did dub the Russian in FoF and one of the gang members in WoD. I don't know why he just didn't dub himself.