Old 01-21-03, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Friends Spin-off

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ion_leblanc_dc

NBC Friendly to LeBlanc Spin-Off
Tue Jan 21, 2:53 AM ET
By Josef Adalian and Michael Fleming

HOLLYWOOD (Variety) - Now that NBC Entertainment president Jeff Zucker has closed the door on an 11th season of "Friends," the path is clear for talks to begin about a possible Matt LeBlanc (news)-led spinoff of the smash series.

Last fall, network executives quietly approached "Friends" producer Warner Bros. TV and reps for LeBlanc about the possibility of the actor starring in a spinoff focusing on his character, Joey Tribbiani. All parties agreed, however, that it made no sense to even think about such a plan while there was still a chance that "Friends" might be back for a 10th season in fall 2003.

During a presentation Friday at NBC's portion of the Television Critics Assn. press tour, Zucker finally conceded that next season will be the show's last.

"Even I acknowledge that," he said. "The door is not open after that."

With the final chapter of "Friends" now poised to be written, conversations about a spinoff can take place without it seeming as if NBC or LeBlanc is somehow working against the all-for-one, one-for-all ethos that has guided the "Friends" cast since the show started.

Of course, that talks may now take place doesn't mean a spinoff is a sure thing. The producers and LeBlanc still need to come up with the right concept for a show -- figuring out whether Joey would stay in Gotham or move elsewhere, for example. There's also the question of just how much coin would be needed for LeBlanc and several members of the current "Friends" brain trust to sign on.

With only 17 weeks of original "Friends" episodes planned for next season (including an hourlong finale), it may make sense for NBC to rest "Friends" for a month or two in spring 2004, allowing the LeBlanc spinoff to fill the "Friends" 8 p.m. Thursday slot before "Friends" returns for its final episodes. But NBC insiders said LeBlanc wouldn't want a spinoff show airing while "Friends" was still on the air.

I think we had a thread about this a while back. I guess the "Family" idea someone suggested didn't pan out, but this would be better and could be really good. But i dont know how well the show would work without the whole group thing and how much NBC would be willing to shell out without guaranteed ratings like they get on Friends.

btw, whatever happened to the Seinfeld spin-off we heard about (the one with Jackie Chiles)?
Old 01-21-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Please GOD NO!!!!!

FRIENDS is decent, but let it die.
Old 01-21-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, it worked for Cheers/Frasier, so I suppose I can't blame them for trying.

And Joey is definitely a good character to build a show around (funny, interesting job with plot/comic possibilities). If they make him a little less one-dimensional and surround him with a strong cast, this could work. I would guess that the plot would take him to L.A. for an acting gig... if they were looking for a change of scenery.

But, for the record, I definitely vote for "let it die". 11 years is plenty.
Old 01-21-03, 02:48 PM

Just for the record, I think it's a lame duck of an idea. That's my realistic mind talking, knowing how these things usually end up. However, given the right team maybe it could be another Frasier. Joey is definately the right way to go. With the right writers in place he is dimensional enough to adapt to new surroundings without playing off his same old schtick. Plus, like Cheers, it's a group that would make for a few interesting cameos along the way.

10 to 1 it would be set in LA and surround his acting carreer. I think it would be a fairly predictible premise. You'd have the new roommate, probably the struggling gay fellow actor, the props girl with the crush, the agent, now in full support role, and the bevvy of bombshells that give Joey a run for his money from week to week.... you get the idea.
Old 01-21-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 614 Likes on 493 Posts
If LeBlanc is smart, he will pull the Kelsey Grammar and milk this thing for every penny he can get out of it. He has no movie career so why not.

I can only assume that they would move him out to L.A. since he plays an actor and it would be unrealistic to keep him in NY w/o ever seeing any of the other 'Friends.'
Old 01-21-03, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, I think he could always move to Seattle and host a radio talk show or move to Boston and open a bar, but I'm hoping they'll move him to Hawaii where he'll become a struggling but highly effective PI, and Phoebe will buy and operate a helicopter tour company, and Monica, after leaving Chandler for Richard, will manage a restaurant/nightclub. Richard will buy a big house with lots of dogs and Joey will stay in the guesthouse.
Old 01-21-03, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Well, I think he could always move to Seattle and host a radio talk show or move to Boston and open a bar, but I'm hoping they'll move him to Hawaii where he'll become a struggling but highly effective PI, and Phoebe will buy and operate a helicopter tour company, and Monica, after leaving Chandler for Richard, will manage a restaurant/nightclub. Richard will buy a big house with lots of dogs and Joey will stay in the guesthouse.
That clearly sounds like a ripoff of Chief Wiggum, PI to me

Old 01-21-03, 05:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Gunther finally goes insane and murders Ross and Rachel. Joey is framed for the murder, but escapes from prison and spends the series hunting down the right killer.

Honk!
Old 01-22-03, 12:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: Chicago, only a stone's throw from Chicago (even if you throw like a girl)
Re: Friends Spin-off

Originally posted by Venusian
http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...ion_leblanc_dc

The producers and LeBlanc still need to come up with the right concept for a show -- figuring out whether Joey would stay in Gotham or move elsewhere, for example.
Friends takes place in Gotham???
Old 01-22-03, 01:05 AM
Banned

Oh god. What a horrible idea but they just uped Friends for another season and I am just not finding the show creative anymore.
If Matt LeBlanc does this hes stupid.
Remember the spinoff of Alice, Flo? Or the spinoff from the Jeffersons, Florence?
Dont say I didnt warn ya.
Old 01-22-03, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Charlie Goose
Gunther finally goes insane and murders Ross and Rachel. Joey is framed for the murder, but escapes from prison and spends the series hunting down the right killer.

Originally posted by bothanspy
Friends takes place in Gotham???
Gotham is slang for New York.
Old 01-22-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But he did so well in the Married with Children spin-offs. How could this one possibly fail?
Old 01-22-03, 08:04 AM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
If LeBlanc is smart, he will pull the Kelsey Grammar and milk this thing for every penny he can get out of it. He has no movie career so why not.
Exactly.

IMO, more often than not, Joey's storylines are the only saving grace for this show. I'd more than welcome a Joey spin-off.
Old 01-22-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Red Dog
Well- that's assuming that he even CARES about wringing every cent out of the character. Wasn't the philosophy behind the entire cast's demanding so much per episode that they all kinda figured they'd probably not get much work after being "pigeon-holed" once the show ended (a la "the gang at Cheers")? I mean they all have a huge sum of money from doing the show. If LeBlanc DID do a spin-off and it failed, I doubt he'd be crying about it. With all the money he should still have from Friends, a spin-off would mainly serve to keep him busy (and not turn into some over-weight, has-been former comedy star).
Old 01-22-03, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=249674
Old 01-22-03, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by hotaru_san
But he did so well in the Married with Children spin-offs. How could this one possibly fail?
If they did that show now with the same cast it would probably be a hit. Mmmm...Joey Lauren Adams

I think he'd be stupid not to take it. They would pay him wads of cash. If he was going to get decent film roles he would've gotten a taste of it by now. He has by far had the worst film opportunities of any of them as far as I can remember. If I had to rank how successful I think each of them would be in movies if they left Friends now it would be like this

1. Jennifer Aniston
2. David Schwimmer
3. Lisa Kudrow
4. Matthew Perry
5. Courtney Cox Arquette
6. Matt LeBlanc
Old 01-22-03, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

After M*A*S*H anyone?