Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : PC Monitor resolution...72 or 96dpi?

DarthMarklar
01-19-03, 08:07 PM
I always thought monitors were 72 dpi. What is a PC monitors real resolution? I saw something in the display panel that says 96dpi, Microsoft PowerPoints screen resolution is 96dpi, but JPG's are always 72dpi. What's the deal?

I.Like.It
01-19-03, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by DarthMarklar
I always thought monitors were 72 dpi. What is a PC monitors real resolution? I saw something in the display panel that says 96dpi, Microsoft PowerPoints screen resolution is 96dpi, but JPG's are always 72dpi. What's the deal?

Generally, Windows uses 96dpi and Macs use 72dpi.

This is seperate from your JPG file which can be any resolution. Yours just happens to be 72 and it has nothing to do with screen resolution.

As a comparison, many LCD panels (including notebooks) actually have higher resolutions than 96/72 dpi.

DarthMarklar
01-19-03, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by I.Like.It
This is seperate from your JPG file which can be any resolution. Yours just happens to be 72 and it has nothing to do with screen resolution.Actually, this might be more of a Photoshop question. I have 2 images, one is 72dpi and the other is 96dpi. When I save them both as JPEGS (the 'Save as..' method) they both retain thier respective resolutions, but when I save them as JPEGS (the 'Save for Web' method) they both become 72 dpi.

?????

I.Like.It
01-20-03, 07:49 AM
Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Actually, this might be more of a Photoshop question. I have 2 images, one is 72dpi and the other is 96dpi. When I save them both as JPEGS (the 'Save as..' method) they both retain thier respective resolutions, but when I save them as JPEGS (the 'Save for Web' method) they both become 72 dpi.

?????

Photoshop must be scaling that image down. 72 dpi use to be the standard for the web. You probably aren't seeing much of difference between the 2 images, right? Perhaps the 72 dpi is a little smaller. Colorwise they should both be about the same. If you want to keep the image the same, just use the 'Save As' option instead of 'Save for Web'. Your file will be larger but not enough to make a difference.

DarthMarklar
01-20-03, 09:37 AM
Originally posted by I.Like.It
Photoshop must be scaling that image down. 72 dpi use to be the standard for the web. You probably aren't seeing much of difference between the 2 images, right? Perhaps the 72 dpi is a little smaller. Colorwise they should both be about the same. If you want to keep the image the same, just use the 'Save As' option instead of 'Save for Web'. Your file will be larger but not enough to make a difference. Actually, the only difference it makes is when I print them from Photoshop, other than that, the difference between the 96dpi and the converted 72dpi are exactly the same. I was just curious as to why the 96dpi's kept changing. You're explanation about web images being 72dpi as a standard makes sense though.