Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Champagne for Caesar DVD Quality Review and Question

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please note that there is what some may call "minor" spoilers in this thread. I have chosen not to use spoiler tags as I'm posting this warning and they are (as I have noted) quite minor.

I just watched Champagne for Caesar (1950) and feel it necessary to post this review on the DVDs quality. I'm also very interested to know if the information I have posted here coincides with the experiences of others who have already viewed this little known gem.

When I first started watching this film I was initially quite pleased with both the picture and sound quality of the disc. However, shortly after Ronald Colman visits Vincent price in his office, I noticed a distinct diminishment in sound quality. This drop-off in sound quality lasted too long for it not to have taken away from the presentation, and although it improved later, it never was quite as good as it was at the start of the film.

The picture quality began very nicely, with a clear and crisp transfer. However, there were two distinct points in the film when a major flaw was evident. The first occurred when Ronald Colman calls Flame concerning their date. At this point the picture looks as if a film was caught in the projector and was about to burn or have some other problem. This only lasted a few moments but seems as if it could have been easily made to look more presentable if time was taken to do so when creating the disc.

The second point of what I would call a "noticeable" or "distracting" flaw in the print was a bit later on, when for about 5-10 seconds there was quite a bit of "snow" obscuring the picture. I don't exactly remember the point at which this happens, but I think it was during one of the quiz show sequences.

I'd appreciate knowing if others have experienced the same with his / her discs,. It seems to me that the problems I've seen would not be due to a specific problem with my individual disc, but rather, a general problem with the manufacture of all those produced.

BTW: If you are considering this as a purchase, please don't let my comments dissuade you in any way. The vast majority of the presentation is fine and the movie itself is exceptional.