Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Reviews and Recommendations
Reload this Page >

Is Angel: Season 1 a good blind buy?

Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-03, 01:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't get into Buffy till 2 yrs ago (In The 5th Season)
so I haven't ever seen a single ep of Angel, I have seen a couple but it is alot more confusing to me than Buffy. Would it be a good blind buy?
Old 01-18-03, 02:03 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I'd say yes.

If your watching the Buffy dvds it might be a good idea since their are crossovers btwn Angel season 1 and season 3 of Buffy. It'll give you a good introduction to everything so you can get ready for season 3 where the show became great.
Old 01-18-03, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Actually, the crossovers are between season 1 of Angel, and season 4 of Buffy.

I've never seen Angel, but I'd never seen Buffy either until I bought season 1 on DVD, and as soon as I started watching it, I was hooked. I just finished watching season 3 tonight, after a five-episode marathon. I can't wait to watch Angel!

Rob

Last edited by RobCA; 01-18-03 at 02:14 AM.
Old 01-18-03, 02:35 AM
Suspended

Random Person B: 'I would rather gargle sulphuric acid than have that DVD in my house.'

Old 01-18-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Who knows? I'm still buying it.
Old 01-18-03, 08:29 AM

Yep, I plan on buying it blind as well. The only Angel episodes I've seen were about 3 episodes from last season
Spoiler:
(The Darla/baby arc)
, and the way I understand it,
Spoiler:
Darla returns in season 1
, so I'm looking forward to seeing that. The only thing that annoys me is that we'll have to wait until June (Buffy season 4) to watch the other half of the crossovers.
Old 01-18-03, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by areacode212
The only thing that annoys me is that we'll have to wait until June (Buffy season 4) to watch the other half of the crossovers.
What?! I have been buying Buffy seasons blind but have little interest in Angel. I enjoy Buffy for the humor and quips but the Angel character seems entirely devoid of humor. If certain episodes will not be complete in season 4 I'll stop with season 3.
Old 01-18-03, 09:54 AM

Originally posted by Easy
What?! I have been buying Buffy seasons blind but have little interest in Angel. I enjoy Buffy for the humor and quips but the Angel character seems entirely devoid of humor. If certain episodes will not be complete in season 4 I'll stop with season 3.
You do not need to watch Angel for season 4 of Buffy to work. There are only a few episodes that reference the other series, and the Buffy and Angel cross over between shows a few times. But in no way is watching Angel required for season 4 of Buffy.
Old 01-18-03, 11:22 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by RobCA
Actually, the crossovers are between season 1 of Angel, and season 4 of Buffy.
D'oh. Thanks for correcting me. Thats what happens when you post something at 2 in the morning I guess.
Old 01-18-03, 12:13 PM
Cool New Member

Uhh...been blind buying Buffy sets!
Seriously, bought all day and date...and am waiting to have time..which looks to be..June!
Since Buffy 4 hits in June, I have already decided to try Angel, and why not?
Box Sets area GOOD, GOOD, thing!

Newbie Out.
Old 01-18-03, 10:52 PM

I started watching buffy around season 4 and I never really watched Angel until the first season was almost over. I'm really looking forward to it now on dvd since that’s the only season I’ve missed of Angel. I find that some of the Angel episodes are funnier then Buffy and they can be a lot Darker too. Nowadays I like Angel better as a show then Buffy and Overall I think if you like Buffy you can't go wrong with the Angel DVD’s.
Old 01-29-03, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd say get it! http://dvd.ign.com/articles/384/384227p1.html
City Of
Lonely Hearts
In the Dark
I Fall to Pieces
Rm W/ A Vu
Sense and Sensitivity
The Bachelor Party
I Will Remember You
Hero
Parting Gifts
Somnambulist
Expecting
She
I've Got You Under My Skin
The Prodigal
The Ring
Eternity
Five By Five
Sanctuary
War Zone
Blind Date
To Shanshu in LA
Old 01-29-03, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hated the character of Angel on buffy, he was whiney and more than slightly annoying...but on ANGEL, he rules.

ANGEL is a better show than Buffy (at least now) and any fan of Buffy is sure to love ANGEL, it is very dark, very funny and just a hellova lot of fun. I'm buying this without hesitation, it's a great show...

MATT
(ANGEL really gets going halfway through the first season, but since then, they've never looked back!)
Old 01-30-03, 12:15 AM

Been watch Buffy Season 3 this week. Just finished disc 4.
Season 3 is great. Wasn't going to get Angel Season 1 since I've watched a few episodes and couldn't get into it. But maybe I'll get it. Nice thing about boxsets is that you can watch all the episodes within a week or so and catch the story thread or continuity without forgetting.
Old 01-30-03, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

ok, I've never watched Buffy on TV and have only been watching it with the DVD's, I just finished Season 3. I've been avoiding all the spoilers (which is hard) so I have no idea what happens in later Buffy Seasons. I can't wait for Season 4 of Buffy! I love this show!

I've been debating with myself if I should get the Angel Season 1 set... Angel was my least favorite character on Buffy. He was great when he was evil at the end of Season 2, but kind of annoying the other times. My favorite characters were Willow and Zander.

I still don't know if I want to buy the whole Angel Set... I might, just to have something to hold me over until Buffy Season 4 comes out. Until then I'll be watching the new Highlander and Doctor Who DVDs.
Old 01-30-03, 08:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I bought Buffy blind about 6 months ago and have been hooked ever since. I'm definitely willing to give Angel and Dark Angel the same shot now.
Old 01-30-03, 03:58 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd say definitely buy Angel. Angel and Wesley were 2 of my least favorite characters on Buffy, but I've grown to love them on Angel. Also, the rest of the supporting cast is great. If you don't buy Angel, you'll never meet Lorne. The most important reason to buy Angel, though, is the fact that Angel and The Shield are by far the best dramas on TV right now. I didn't start watching Buffy until season 5, so I've only seen about half of season 1 and 2 of Angel, but I can vouch for season 3 and 4 as TV at it's best.
Old 01-30-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 257 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by matome
I bought Buffy blind about 6 months ago and have been hooked ever since. I'm definitely willing to give Angel and Dark Angel the same shot now.
Dark Angel is not even remotely in the same league as those other two shows. It's got a girl who's kind of cute and there is some butt-kicking involved, but that is where the similarities end.

If you just want a fix from the "Girls Kick Butt" genre, I recommend you hold out for the Alias Season One box set due in September.

My $.02.
Old 01-31-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Josh Z
Dark Angel is not even remotely in the same league as those other two shows. It's got a girl who's kind of cute and there is some butt-kicking involved, but that is where the similarities end.

My $.02.
Thanks for the input. I'm one of those people who never watch regular TV/cable and after coming to realize that Buffy was the best thing since sliced bread, I'm willing to go with anything in the same arena (Angel being an obvious shoo-in). I guess I'll have to investigate Dark Angel a little further then. Is it still running on TV? Maybe I'll try to catch an episode.
Old 01-31-03, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by matome
Thanks for the input. I'm one of those people who never watch regular TV/cable and after coming to realize that Buffy was the best thing since sliced bread, I'm willing to go with anything in the same arena (Angel being an obvious shoo-in). I guess I'll have to investigate Dark Angel a little further then. Is it still running on TV? Maybe I'll try to catch an episode.
It was cancelled last year after two seasons (after first being announced it would be renewed). It was a mercy killing.
Old 01-31-03, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

OK guess I won't be catching it on TV then. Leaning towards canceling my DA preorder...
Old 01-31-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The first season of Angel is the best no doubt, however I think Angel now has turned into a horrible show and would not think about continuing collecting it when they get into the later seasons. So probably wouldnt even start..
Old 01-31-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The first season of Angel is the best no doubt, however I think Angel now has turned into a horrible show and would not think about continuing collecting it when they get into the later seasons. So probably wouldnt even start..
I can't disagree more. The first season of Angel is definitely the worst. That's not to say it isn't worth buying if you're a Buffy fan. Season 1 introduces several key supporting characters and lays the groundwork for the (mostly) brilliant Season 2. And once you hit Seasons 3 and 4, the show really gets going. This year has easily surpassed Buffy in excellence and is arguably the best drama on TV at the moment(with 24 and Alias close behind).
Old 02-01-03, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I'm buying it blind. I love Buffy, so this is a given for me.

Everyone knows Wesley marries Willow in real life, right? (Allison Hannigan and what'shisname )
Old 02-01-03, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Everyone knows Wesley marries Willow in real life, right? (Allison Hannigan and what'shisname
I knew they were dating as boyfriend and girlsfriend, but I didn't hear about marrage, are you sure?

::sigh::: Alyson Hannigan is so cute and sexy, she should date me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.