Community
Search
DVD Reviews and Recommendations Read, Post and Request DVD Reviews.

X-Men 1.5 DVD Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X-Men 1.5 DVD Review

Here is our review of X-Men 1.5:

http://www.upcomingdiscs.com/dvd_rev..._where=studios
Old 01-18-03, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I'm confused. In the first parragraph you state "this new version has allowed for the film to be viewed with a number of deleted scenes to be seamlessly branched into the film" but then make no further mention of this feature.

How well is the branching handled? Is it extended branching (as the first release) or seemless branching (as was used in Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition)?
Old 01-18-03, 02:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by RocShemp
I'm confused. In the first parragraph you state "this new version has allowed for the film to be viewed with a number of deleted scenes to be seamlessly branched into the film" but then make no further mention of this feature.

How well is the branching handled? Is it extended branching (as the first release) or seemless branching (as was used in Terminator 2: Ultimate Edition)?
The branching is not seamless... a symbol is displayed, and if you click the enter button on your remote, you are taken to the deleted scene that whould have been inserted there. The deleted scenes are the same as on the initial SE release.

I have updated the review to include this info.
Old 01-18-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

jfrost,
Thanks for the answer. Well based on your review and the fact that I have the previous release I'm not going to get this new edition. I was really hoping the studio had decided to release the proposed re-edited version of the film that was to feature a new John Ottoman score. Thanks again.
Old 01-19-03, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I would of picked this up, if it would of been faithful to the original idea of X-Men 1.5, which was an extended 'Directors Cut', with DTS audio... See'ing as it strayed from this idea and is just now a cash in for X-Men 2, I'll pass on it.

Oh well!
Old 01-20-03, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How does the video transfer compare to the original release? I recommend comparing for future releases. This is helpful to many consumers.
Old 01-20-03, 08:31 AM

I was wondering, on the original release 2 easter eggs were added: the hilarious appearance of Spiderman and some artwork of two non-featured characters. are these also added on the new version?
Old 01-21-03, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

LivingINClip,

That is my exact reason for passing up on this release. Too bad as I was really looking forward to picking this up.

Anyone know why the original purpose of this DVD (a brand new cut featuring a new score by John Ottoman) was abandoned? Was it some sort of rights issue?
Old 01-23-03, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 289 Likes on 214 Posts
I'm passing on this one as well. I guarantee you will see another release of the original and it will probably be the director's cut, only this time, "seamlessly" edited.
Old 01-25-03, 02:55 PM

I always thought this movie would be 10 times better if it had the enire x-men theme song in it somewhere, they kind of hint at it throughout the film.. or am I the only one who thinks the cartoon theme song IS the x-men theme.. mabey its just me..
Old 01-25-03, 11:04 PM
Cool New Member

Another X-Men 1.5 review

I don't know how likely it is that the film will be recut into a Director's Cut when these branching scenes give you the idea of what was left out. It's not like the other scenes will make the film that much better. Those of you waiting on a director's cut better consider your source for that info, it doesn't make much business sense.

Now if it were Anchor Bay releasing it, you could look forward to 4 or 5 releases...

Anyway, here's another review, slightly different take, with higher marks from Told You So Productions.

Full review