Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube version of Splinter Cell delayed till May

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 09:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gamecube version of Splinter Cell delayed till May

http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383072p1.html'

PS2 version still on schedule for March release.

Hopefully they'll take the extra time to get the GC version right. It stands the best chance of coming close to the X-box version, as the GC is more powerful and has shown that it can handle lighting effects pretty well.
Old 01-18-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Gamecube version of Splinter Cell delayed till May

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383072p1.html'

PS2 version still on schedule for March release.

Hopefully they'll take the extra time to get the GC version right. It stands the best chance of coming close to the X-box version, as the GC is more powerful and has shown that it can handle lighting effects pretty well.
I agree.....especially after the Ghost Recon fiasco for the PS2. It is amazing how the PC and Xbox versions were both given excellent reviews but on the PS2 the game fell way short of the previous versions. Anyone know how Ghost Recon is shaping up for the Gamecube?
Old 01-18-03, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I've always been of mindset that I don't mind waiting a little longer as long as they get it right. I would much rather wait than see a rushed product.
Old 01-18-03, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree.....especially after the Ghost Recon fiasco for the PS2. It is amazing how the PC and Xbox versions were both given excellent reviews but on the PS2 the game fell way short of the previous versions.
I think the Xbox version just got overhyped. I've only played the PC version but from what I could tell from the reviews there wasn't that much difference between the Xbox and PS2 versions of the game.
Old 01-18-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From IGN.COM....

PS2 Ghost Recon

http://ps2.ign.com/articles/379/379905p1.html

Xbox Ghost Recon

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/377/377303p1.html

I will look for the EGM review also...

While they gave the Xbox average ratings on the graphics and presentation......the overall score was high.

The PS2 version received very low scores overall. I may just pass on this one and wait for Splinter Cell.
Old 01-18-03, 09:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, the scores are different but both reviews describe the game similarly. I think the Xbox version got a higher score than it deserved. To settle this issue we need a review that directly compares the 2 games.
Old 01-18-03, 10:02 PM
Mod Emeritus

Uhhhh... XBL anyone? PS2 GR doesn't have Internet capabilities, making the XB version 10X better than the PS2 version. Overhyped... right
Old 01-18-03, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So the only reason GR is good on Xbox is because it's online? A bad game is a bad game whether it's online or not. Whether or not GR is a bad game is of course debatable however. It's one of my all-time favorites on the PC but several reviews have led me to believe that it's not that great on consoles.
Old 01-18-03, 10:43 PM
Mod Emeritus

Taking it offline is cutting its balls off. The game rocks online. The voice thing makes it so nice to play with a good team. The Xbox version KILLED (10.0) on lasting appeal on the IGN score while the PS2 version had a lasting appeal of 4.0. The other scores make me think the Xbox version runs smoother and of course sounds better. To me the bulk of the gameplay comes from playing it online as well so maybe that's where they were going with that score there.
Old 01-19-03, 02:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I always thought the online play was lame in comparison to other FPS on the PC, including Tom Clancy's other games.
Old 01-19-03, 02:22 AM
Mod Emeritus

Eh, to each his own. I like it quite it bit more than SOCOM which I also enjoyed. I couldn't play a FPS online without the voice, that would be pretty boring and dumb. Dunno why someone would want to?
Old 01-19-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't play a FPS online without the voice, that would be pretty boring and dumb.
So if Halo 2 doesn't have voice capabilities for some reason you won't play it?

Dunno why someone would want to?
Because it's fun. Ever hear of Quake, Rainbow 6, Unreal, Tribes, or MOH: AA to name a few? Millions of people have found those games to be fun for a reason -- they're fun. The ability to talk to some loser who thinks he's God may or may not improve the experience.
Old 01-19-03, 09:55 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Online gaming sucks IMO. I'm only interested in single player gaming.

Voice is even more discouraging IMO. It's hard enough reading the crap gamers post online. I definitely don't want to have to actually listen to them.
Old 01-19-03, 10:01 PM
Shawn

Voice is even more discouraging IMO. It's hard enough reading the crap gamers post online. I definitely don't want to have to actually listen to them.
There is a mute button...
Old 01-19-03, 10:10 PM

Online gaming sucks IMO. I'm only interested in single player gaming.

Why? Are you scared?