Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Buy GC get 1 free game (Metroid Prime, RE 0, Mario Party 4, or Star Fox)

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 09:09 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://cube.ign.com/articles/383/383076p1.html

Starts February 9th at "participating retailers."

Sweet deal. Finally a "bundle" with a good game. I can't remember a system that included a game I wanted since the SNES and Super Mario World.

Should sell a few more GCs to some people on the fence.
Old 01-17-03, 09:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, that's a great deal. Nintendo's finally trying to compete with MS.

Old 01-18-03, 01:35 AM

do you think it would be at all possible (although unscrupulous) to buy a gamecube, get the free game, and return the gamecube? i suppose it must be a mail-in offer.
Old 01-18-03, 01:58 AM

And you'll probably need the UPC cut from the box, and then you can't return the system. Wonk, wonk, wooooonk.

Or if you return the system without the game, they'll deduct the games price from the refund.
Old 01-18-03, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 238 Likes on 150 Posts
dammit, I just bought a GC last week!

oh well. I'll get a lot of use out of it between now at Feb. 9 anyhow.
Old 01-18-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Why not just return the GC now, and get it again on Feb9th?
Old 01-18-03, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank for the NEWs

I try to get GC today for my little sis......but i think i am going to wait for another 3 weeks for FREE Games

Metroid Prime
Mario Party,
Resdident Evil 0

Which games is the BEST to PICKUP w/ the System ????
Old 01-18-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
For your little sister. My guess would be Mario Party 4. If the game is for you I would get Metroid Prime.
Old 01-18-03, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,365 Likes on 927 Posts
how long will this promo last? I want to pick up a gamecube before Zelda. I was thinking of buying the cube and zelda all in one shot. Now, I might have to pick it up early so I can play RE0,

Edit: I just read the article. It says through May 2003. Cool.
Old 01-18-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"consumers who buy a GameCube for $149.99 at participating retailers will get a free game with the system courtesy of the company."

Now my question is can you (as a consumer) purchase the SMS Bundle for $189.99 and still qualify for the "free" game? Heck, two (2) games for $40 over the cost of the unit isnt bad.
Old 01-18-03, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Will SMS Bundle is Plantium GC w/ Mario Sunshine Rite??

The FREE Game Deal is Mail in Rebate or U pickup FREE in store whenever u buy the GC ??

Thanks

PS. I hate Mail In Rebate........is take forever & never is gone forever!
Old 01-18-03, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally posted by retihsuhnt
Now my question is can you (as a consumer) purchase the SMS Bundle for $189.99 and still qualify for the "free" game? Heck, two (2) games for $40 over the cost of the unit isnt bad.
A better question would be does the version of the GC that comes with a free copy of Super Smash Bros. qualify for this deal? My target still has a bunch of those...
Old 01-18-03, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Will SMS Bundle is Plantium GC w/ Mario Sunshine Rite??

The FREE Game Deal is Mail in Rebate or U pickup FREE in store whenever u buy the GC ??

Thanks

PS. I hate Mail In Rebate........is take forever & never is gone forever!
I'm assuming english is not your first language?
Old 01-18-03, 07:42 PM
Retired

From the article, it sounds like you get the game right then, as opposed to being a rebate. But it's not clear so we'll have to wait for more info.

As for the Mario Sunshine bundle, I haven't been able to find any word on that. If I had to guess, I'd say it will work to. It worked with the rebate deal they had last month, so I'd be surprised if they'd disallow it for this deal. But again that's just a guess.
Old 01-22-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Bumped for squidget and others ...
Old 01-23-03, 11:59 AM

Mario bundle is only for the purple cube. If the "participating retailer" has it in stock you should be able to pick that up plus this free game deal.

It's obvious that Nintendo wants to take advantage of the Zelda release. At last a sign they are trying to seriously compete.
Old 02-01-03, 10:55 AM

So this thing still happening on the 9th? Time to get gc + Metroid. All those games I picked up from eb and bb are dying t to come out.
Old 02-06-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Borrowed the following from FW: "Starting Sunday, Feb 9 at all retailers. It's a $30 drop from the previous bundle price, so a welcome change."

I havent found confirmation of this, but would this bundle still qualify for the freebie offer beginning on Sunday?

And while Im at it a bump for the original offer of this thread.
Old 02-06-03, 06:09 PM

Nintendo to Give Games Away, Cut Prices

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ntendo_hits_dc

Thu Feb 6, 3:19 PM ET Add Technology - Reuters to My Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - Nintendo (news - web sites) Co. Ltd. (7974.OS), the Japanese games company, on Thursday said it would cut prices on some of its top games and give away hit games with its console as it works to boost sales for the struggling GameCube.

Nintendo, which once dominated the U.S. video game market but has fallen to third place behind Sony Corp (news - web sites).'s (6758.T) dominant PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) and Microsoft Corp.'s (NasdaqNM:MSFT - news) upstart Xbox (news - web sites), said it would offer one of four games for free with the $149.95 GameCube.

GameCube buyers will be able to choose from "Metroid Prime," "Star Fox Adventures," "Mario Party 4" or "Resident Evil 0" with purchase of the console.

Nintendo also slashed the price on its bundled offering of the GameCube, "Super Mario Sunshine" and an external memory card to $159.95 from $189.95. Purchased individually, the three components of the pack would cost almost $215.

A number of games from early in the GameCube's history, like "Luigi's Mansion" and "Super Smash Bros. Melee," will be cut in price to $29.95 from $49.95 as part of a "Player's Choice" program, the company said.

"This action by Nintendo does not come as a big surprise to us as holiday GameCube sales were weaker than expected in the face of stiff competition from the PlayStation 2 and Xbox," Gerard Klauer Mattison analyst Edward Williams said in a note on Thursday.

"We believe the weakness of the GameCube (relative to PS2 and Xbox) is indicative of specific problems with GameCube sell-through rather than an indication of weakness in the industry overall," Williams said.

Last month, Nintendo President Satoru Iwata told Reuters the company would miss its sales targets for the GameCube by more than 10 percent in the current fiscal year and also fall short of its software sales goals.

Nintendo's stock has been under pressure in Japan as investors express concerns about the prospects for the GameCube, even as Nintendo prepares to launch an updated version of its market-dominating Game Boy portable device.

Chris
Old 02-07-03, 09:36 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
The deal starts Sunday! I got a big cardboard standup for this deal today at my store, should be interesting. Its nice to see the Bundle Pack is $160, I can imagine how many people will be trying to buy that and get an additional free game with it, hehe.
Old 02-07-03, 09:46 PM
Retired

Doesn't sound like you can get the free game with the bundle. However, if you want Mario, and don't mind the Indigo GC, you're better off to buy the bundle and the other game seperately.

With the deal you get the console, 1 controller and a game for $149.95, add $49.99 for mario and $14.99 for a mem 59 and you've got $214.97 before tax.

If you buy the Mario bundle you pay $159.95 for the console a controller, a mem 59 and mario, and then $49.99 for the game you'd have gotten free in the other deal and you've got $209.94 before tax.

So if you want mario buy the mario bundle and the game you want, if not go for the free game deal.
Old 02-08-03, 03:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Why wouldn't you be able to get the free game if you buy the bundle?

Is that the same as saying the GC would be priced less than $149.95, therefore not valid for the offer?

And what if you get the GC at a discount, say Target 10% off, would you still be able to get the free game?

There might be some upset customers if Nintendo isn't flexible about the offer.

I think the free game is probably a mail-in-rebate. If it was an instant rebate when purchasing the GC, the retailers would need to keep plenty of copies of specific titles for all who may want them.
Old 02-08-03, 01:02 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
You shouldn't get an additional game with the Sunshine bundle. You already are! Your paying the the system, and a mem. card and getting sunshine. If you got a free game with the bundle, then knowone would ever purchase the reg. system, its just that simple. My store has 4 Sunshine bundles left... I can't WAIT for people to try and get an additional free game off of me.
Old 02-08-03, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

who all is diving back into the big N with this?

I haven't owned a Nintendo system since the original NES, and I am excited to play the N64 Zelda for the first time, RE, RE0, Mario, and Metroid. I hope they do a port of Mario 64 as well.
Old 02-08-03, 04:11 PM
Retired

BTW it is not a mail in offer. You get the free game right when you purchase the system. I belive Nintendo reimburses the retailers.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.