Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Does anyone still watch John Doe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-03, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Does anyone still watch John Doe?

The reason I ask is that I finally watched last week's episode (1/10) and it was so awful. I looked and I did not find a thread about the episode, so I wonder if anyone here is still watching.

This show started out strong but has declined so much I am thinking of dropping it.

Last week's episode was so god-awful. The last 15 minutes had such a major plothole. They faked John Doe's death so they could catch the serial killer? Okay, great, but why didn't they catch the serial killer when he was standing 5 feet away while John Doe got shot? It just seemed like they ended the episode 10 minutes too early, so they had to tack on another ending. There was no reason why that guy should have gotten away the first time. They showed him just run out of the room while the Detective looked shocked. Dumb.
Old 01-17-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I still watch it, but I missed last week's ep, but I noticed there wasn't a thread either, so I figured it wasn't that great to begin with. I like the show, and I think they could go places w/ it, too, but I do agree it has gotten worse over the course of the season (maybe that's why I wasn't that upset about missing it - Firefly was getting better and this seems to get worse).
Old 01-17-03, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I watched & kinda enjoyed the first couple of episodes but thought they were going too heavily in the conspiracy direction. That and the guy who plays Doe is just not an actor with much range. So in answer to your question, no I don't. I've been wondering if time slots had been reversed would Firefly still be around and John Doe be off the air. Oh well.
Old 01-17-03, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I got around to watching it on Sunday or Monday of this week, and it was weak. His Mr. Smarty-Pants nemesis was just annoying.

They need to move the macro-story along.

So, what's up with Digger, he's totally a plant in the scheme of things, but what's his angle?

The burgeoning romance angle with Doe and Avery just seems really forced. They don't riff well together.

Where's Doe's little assistant been?
Old 01-17-03, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Patman
I got around to watching it on Sunday or Monday of this week, and it was weak. His Mr. Smarty-Pants nemesis was just annoying.
Patman, were you also scratching your head at why they didn't arrest the guy when he was standing right there? Seemed like a lot of trouble to fake JD's death when they could have just nabbed him.

I really like Jayne Brook as Avery. The only good part of the episode was we got to see more of her. I think she's really tough.

I'm not sure of a romance with John Doe would be cool, but I really like her as a strong female lead.

I do not miss the annoying assistant at all. She's no Bitty Schram (Sharona on "Monk"). John Doe has actually reminded me of "Monk" from the beginning, only that show has done a better job and keeping the concept going week to week.

John Doe hasn't been as "smart" in recent episodes.
Old 01-17-03, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I can't remember why they didn't cuff Mr. Smart-Pants, but the way it played out in the confusion, I guess they were just slow in reaction time (plus maybe they were concerned more about Avery's well-being than the bad guy who made use of the confusion and ran away).
Old 01-17-03, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still really enjoy this show and haven't missed an episode yet.

Regarding the comments about arresting him when they had the chance - what chance are you referring to? I don't recall a time when they could have just taken him and still protected Avery. When Doe got shot the guy still had a knife to Avery's throat and then made a quick getaway out the back right afterwards. While technically the cop could have given chase, that was risky and Doe knew that he would come to them to see the body (at least that was the intent).
Old 01-17-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After Joe was shot, the murderer yelled "No!" and started to run out of the back. At that point Avery was safe and the Detective guy ran towards Doe. The murderer was only 5 feet away the detective could have arrested him. The scene didn't show him getting away and then suddenly after the commercial break they were at Doe's "funeral". It just seemed rather strange because they didn't really explain why they didn't catch him before. I doubt this guy is a track star and it seems like the detective could have caught up with him since he only hade about a 5 foot lead when he started running away.

I had to run the scene back a second time because I was so confused by it. Maybe they should have the guy making a slyer getaway but it just seemed like they let him get away after Doe was shot and then they had to do the big ruse with the funeral and all.
Old 01-17-03, 02:49 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 256 Likes on 193 Posts
I thought it was great when it first started but it has gone down hill as of late. I agree they need to get back to the big storyline of him trying to figure out who he is. Those were the best episodes of the series so far.
Old 01-17-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sure, I watch it. It's decent Friday night fluff.

das
Old 01-17-03, 04:28 PM
Banned

I lost interest after the first few episodes. I watch past farscape and babylon 5 episodes.
Old 01-17-03, 05:02 PM

This was the first episode I ever watched. It wasn't good enough to grab me as a committed viewer, but I might check it out every once in a while. One thing though, didn't the bad guy remind you of Kevin Spacey. Everything about him seemed like it.
Old 01-17-03, 05:47 PM
Banned

John Who?
Old 01-17-03, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by cooper2000
I lost interest after the first few episodes.
The first few episodes were pretty good with room for improvement. It didn't improve.
Old 01-17-03, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
It's weird...

People want the mystery of his orgin, yet, in the past they've complaned about the show potentially "blowing its wad" prematurely. Can't have it both ways people.

Personally, I think Doug Hutchinson's second appearance was too soon. Also, I wouldn't mind an epilogue with a little clue about his past [similar to what they did for the first few episodes...]
Old 01-17-03, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Two soon? It was a two part episode. How could they not have him back to back? (spaced out due to the holidays).

I'm still watching. I'm not as into it as I was at first, but I'm still watching because frankly, there isn't anything else on friday night I give even a slight damn about heh
Old 01-17-03, 10:44 PM

Received 804 Likes on 523 Posts
I miss The Pretender...
Old 01-17-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I don't think it was a two parter. Unless it wasn't a "traditional" two part episode [part 1 ends in a cliff hanger...].

As for the Pretender, aren't they going to have anymore TV movies?
Old 01-17-03, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno, on a show where no two episodes have really connected much from one to the other, when two in a sequence have the same plot in two halves, I generally think two part episode.