TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Garber Says Future 'Alias' Episodes Will Be More Accessible

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Garber Says Future 'Alias' Episodes Will Be More Accessible

This is from zap2it.com.

LOS ANGELES (Zap2it.com) - Victor Garber isn't quite sure why "Alias" isn't doing better in the ratings than it is.

"I think it's a difficult show. It's not an easy show for people to follow," says Garber, who plays double agent Jack Bristow, the brooding father of lead character Sydney Bristow (Jennifer Garner) on ABC's spy drama.

He's also not sure the show's Nielsen numbers -- it's averaging about 9.3 million viewers a week -- are fully representative of its audience. Based on his own experience, anyway, he thinks there might be some uncounted fans out there.

"Everywhere I go, someone walks up to me and says 'I never miss your show,' every town I'm in," he says. "That, to me, is indicative of something."

Whatever the reasons for "Alias' " viewership not meeting its buzz level, Garber thinks that may change following the show's post-Super Bowl episode Sunday, Jan. 26. The game typically delivers a big audience to whatever airs immediately after it, and Garber says the episode will be accessible to people who haven't followed every episode.

"Because there are some big changes coming up in the next few weeks, the Super Bowl episode is like starting over. It's almost like a pilot episode," he says.

In the episode,
Spoiler:
Jack and Sydney are taken aback when nefarious spy organization SD-6 brings in a new director (guest star Rutger Hauer) to replace Arvin Sloane (Ron Rifkin), who's gone AWOL to be with his presumed-dead-but-really-alive wife (Amy Irving).

(ABC originally scheduled an episode featuring
Spoiler:
Ethan Hawke
as a guest star but decided to hold that hour for the February sweeps period.)

Garber also says that future episodes will be somewhat more self-contained, as opposed to the cliffhanger-a-week form of the show's first season.

"It was a very conscious choice on the producers' part, and I think it will possibly help" the show's ratings, Garber says. "You can start at the beginning and get to the end without feeling like you've missed anything."

The post-Super Bowl "Alias" will go on the air at roughly 10:15 p.m. ET Sunday, Jan. 26.

Edited to add spoilers - Agent Cling, Security Section
Old 01-16-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh God here we go

"Garber also says that future episodes will be somewhat more self-contained, as opposed to the cliffhanger-a-week form of the show's first season. "

Not that the show has been dumbed down enough, now comes this crap. Soon there will be one less show to watch on Sunday nights.
Old 01-16-03, 05:13 PM

ugh....the cliffhangers are one of the reasons this show is so great.
Old 01-16-03, 06:59 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I like continuing story arcs, but I don't necessarily like the cliffhangers. It almost seemed like a cheap trick for a while... "Oh, look, another cliffhanger. I'm shocked." After a while, they lose their charm. At least, they did on me.
Old 01-16-03, 07:12 PM
Banned

Of course you have to dum it down for the crowds that are making Reality Programing so damn popular. I hope this isnt the beginning of the end of a great show.
Old 01-16-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Re: Garber Says Future 'Alias' Episodes Will Be More Accessible

Originally posted by Static Cling
Edited to add spoilers - Agent Cling, Security Section
Thank GOD you got to this thread before I read it...

[Though I had to train my eyes NOT to read the info when I "quoted" the original post...]
Old 01-17-03, 05:10 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whats next? Are they going to bring in Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch with flash cards to explain the premise each week? They wont wont be satisfied till they completely ruin this show.
Old 01-17-03, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
I honestly wouldn't mind not having a cliffhanger every week, they do get a little old. Sometimes its good to end some stories and move on to others. I am kind of excited about some of the upcoming guest stars though.
Old 01-17-03, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
I still don't understand people saying that the show is "dumbed down" this season over last season. I know the producers talked about that, but this season seems just as "difficult to follow" as last season.

It's not difficult for me, mind you, but everyone saying it's been "dumbed down" this year makes no sense to me.

Unless I got dumber too
Old 01-17-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry about not "spoilering" it. It didn't occur to me that there were spoilers in it, but reading it now, it is obvious that there are.

I think that cliffhangers are ok, but not every week. If there is a cliffhanger every week, it is obvious that Sidney is going to escape, so it reduces the effect of it. A lot of the past cliffhangers were resolved in less than stellar ways, IMO, and felt like a cheap ploy to get viewers back.
Old 01-17-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Maybe I chose the wrong phrase, but when someone stumbles across a new series (ie; Alias) already through a couple of episodes it should make them want to investigate what they missed and try and catch up rather than simply watching one episode at a time and not having to worry about character development or continuum.

I agree during the first season something like 20 cliffhangers got a bit old, but there is something to say for a show ala "Murder One" where for the entire season you are one heck of a roller coaster.
Old 01-17-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Thrush
Whats next? Are they going to bring in Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch with flash cards to explain the premise each week? They wont wont be satisfied till they completely ruin this show.
Tonight's episode of Alias was brought to you by the letter G, and the number 4!
Old 01-17-03, 12:36 PM

Originally posted by Draven
I still don't understand people saying that the show is "dumbed down" this season over last season. I know the producers talked about that, but this season seems just as "difficult to follow" as last season.

It's not difficult for me, mind you, but everyone saying it's been "dumbed down" this year makes no sense to me.

Unless I got dumber too
I agree. I never read any comments about the show being "dumbed down" this season, and so I watched without any expectations for such a change. And I certainly never noticed any. This season seems just as complex and intricate as the previous one. If anything, I find that the storylines have added even more twists and possibilities to keep our minds occupied as we watch.
Old 01-17-03, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth C00Ki3 •<HR SIZE=1>I agree. I never read any comments about the show being "dumbed down" this season, and so I watched without any expectations for such a change. And I certainly never noticed any. This season seems just as complex and intricate as the previous one. If anything, I find that the storylines have added even more twists and possibilities to keep our minds occupied as we watch. <HR SIZE=1>

Yeah, this has pleasantly surprised me. They announced the show would be dumbed down for this season, and I had fears, but aside from some formatting changes, the show still packs a heavy punch.

Obvious changes are significantly more summary at the beginning of the episode in addition to much longer hooks before the opening titles (sometimes the titles don't run until 15 mins into the episode). Also, they've dropped almost all of Sydney's balancing act between her social life (college, friends) and her professional life. Yeah, they have a token scene here and there with Francine, but they've certainly narrowed the focus of the show into predominantly the intricate spy plots.

Luckily, even with these changes, it seems to me that the show is just as interesting and entertaining as it always was. Adding even more, changes, though? That really scares me.

das
Old 01-17-03, 03:25 PM

the whole "episodes will be more self contained" deal doesn't sound very promising and makes me worry that they'll make the show like last years season of Smallville, with a "freak of the week" or in this case more "villain of the week" vibe.

i think the way the show is right now is perfect. and whats wrong with the occasional cliffhanger? 24 seems to be pulling that off nicely so why can't Alias.
Old 01-17-03, 03:53 PM
Banned

I think they are in the Process of dumbing it down and I think the music video montages are the start of this. I dont remember them doing that last season.
Old 01-18-03, 05:17 PM

Originally posted by cooper2000
Of course you have to dum it down for the crowds that are making Reality Programing so damn popular. I hope this isnt the beginning of the end of a great show.
I'm not normally one to pick on spelling, but that is a funny one Misspelling "dumb" is a bit ironic, isn't it?

As for the opinions here that they may lose their edge doing this, I agree. I hope they don't make it just another show. The long range story is what is so interesting. With that gone, it might just become "How Can We Dress Up Sydney".