Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

DirecTiVo question

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-03, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DirecTiVo question

Just had DirecTV installed yesterday with the new Series 2 DirecTivo (although I guess TiVo doesn't appear in the name anymore--DirecTV DVR or something).

Anyway, the question is: How long until my program data is complete? I tried to set-up a season pass to Farscape and the history says "none scheduled".

I'm a little spoiled by the standalone unit I have getting all the data in a phone call and ready to go in a few hours.

Between having digital video, digital audio, two tuners and a 35 hour TiVo, this is a pretty sweet little unit.
Old 01-16-03, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had this installed a couple of month ago and I think it took up to a week of calls to get everything up to speed. But I would think the season pass should be ready quicker than that (?). I tell ya, this Tivo stuff is sweet. I would have such a hard time sitting down and watching non-news/non-sports shows as they air now.
Old 01-16-03, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

One more question: Does DirecTiVo still get the "exclusive content" like a standalone, such as Two Towers interviews, movie trailers, etc?

I know I could just record it myself on Discovery at 3am CST, but...........
Old 01-16-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Hero

• Quoth Chew9 •<HR SIZE=1>One more question: Does DirecTiVo still get the "exclusive content" like a standalone, such as Two Towers interviews, movie trailers, etc?

I know I could just record it myself on Discovery at 3am CST, but...........
<HR SIZE=1>

Mine gets that crap all the time.

das
Old 01-16-03, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I just got mine installed last night too! Actually I upgraded from a regular reciever. One thing that seemed to help pull down a lot of the program data was doing the "Perform daily call now" function. I think its under Setup->Phone. It took a long time but I have just about everything now it seems.

This morning I missed the traffic report on the news and I rewound until I got to it. I felt like God or something. Hmmm, Charles Almighty...I like it!
Old 01-16-03, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by CharlesC
Hmmm, Charles Almighty...I like it!
Is that any relation to Bruce Almighty, the new Jim Carrey movie?
Old 01-16-03, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This board is a great forum for Tivo discussion:

http://www.tivocommunity.com/tivo-vb...php?forumid=29
Old 01-17-03, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quick question for those with DirecTV or DirecTivo. How much do you pay per month for the level of service you get, and how much was the upfront equipment and installation costs?

I've got overpriced crappy cable, but I won't be living at this apartment for much longer. At some point I'd like to upgrade, though.
Old 01-17-03, 06:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sdcrym
Quick question for those with DirecTV or DirecTivo. How much do you pay per month for the level of service you get, and how much was the upfront equipment and installation costs?

I've got overpriced crappy cable, but I won't be living at this apartment for much longer. At some point I'd like to upgrade, though.
Since I just bought all the equipment this week, here's a fairly recent rundown (all bought at CC): DirecTiVo was $199, installation was free (includes the dish and set-up), I got a $50 mail-in rebate for only having a single room installed (even though the DirecTivo has two tuners). I signed up for Total Choice, which is $31.99/month, plus the DVR/TiVo service is $4.99/month. Also getting 3 free months of HBO/Cinemax. Locals will be coming to my area in a few months at $6/month.

Considering I'm currently paying $17/month to my cable company just for local channels, this is a good deal.

If you just go for a two room install with no Tivo: It's free install after rebate, no charge for any equipment. Then $31.99/month for the Total Choice package. That's it.

But, with all the TV I watch, having a two tuner DirecTiVo at $149 (after the rebate) with $5/month is a steal .
Old 01-17-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew9
Since I just bought all the equipment this week, here's a fairly recent rundown (all bought at CC): DirecTiVo was $199, installation was free (includes the dish and set-up), I got a $50 mail-in rebate for only having a single room installed (even though the DirecTivo has two tuners). I signed up for Total Choice, which is $31.99/month, plus the DVR/TiVo service is $4.99/month. Also getting 3 free months of HBO/Cinemax. Locals will be coming to my area in a few months at $6/month.

Considering I'm currently paying $17/month to my cable company just for local channels, this is a good deal.

If you just go for a two room install with no Tivo: It's free install after rebate, no charge for any equipment. Then $31.99/month for the Total Choice package. That's it.

But, with all the TV I watch, having a two tuner DirecTiVo at $149 (after the rebate) with $5/month is a steal .
I'm jealous
Old 01-17-03, 03:19 PM

I am an old-timer with DirecTV and DirecTV Tivo. I am paying $95.66 for the Total Choice Premier with locals, distant networks, and an additional receiver. I purchased a lifetime subscription with I bought my first DTivo two years ago and added an additional DTivo a month later.

If you subscribe to the Total Choice Premier package for $81.99, your DirecTV Tivo (DVR) service is free as long as you keep the package. If you downgrade, the cost is $4.99 per month for the service.

Ian