Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Opening your Gamecube

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Opening your Gamecube

I want to do a few mods to my system. However the damn bit to open the cursed thing is $15. $15 for a freaking bit. Is there an alternative to getting a machine open, or can I possible get this bit at a hardware store?
Old 01-14-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
ncsx.com sells them for $5.50. It is listed under N64 hardware.
Old 01-14-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by noonan4224
ncsx.com sells them for $5.50. It is listed under N64 hardware.
Woo!! Thanks so much.. that's so much better. I guess I'll wait until I make my order for Mr Driller Drill Land to get it.

(unless of course they're readily available at a normal store.. i'd much rather walk in and pick one up if possible)
Old 01-14-03, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There is a method of melting a bic pen and letting it form around the bit to screw it off. I believe there are faq's somewhere on the web to do it. Never tried it myself, but was looking into it when I got my GC modded.

Found this on planetgamecube.com import gaming section.

Originally posted by Ecrofirt:

Here's a secret little tip i bet you didn't know. You don't need a gamebit to open your GameCube.

Go to Sears.com, and look up part 41866. Print out the results and bring it to your local sears. It's only $3, and works like a charm.

Sounds like a better alternative.

Last edited by alexkat; 01-14-03 at 01:30 PM.
Old 01-14-03, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by alexkat
There is a method of melting a bic pen and letting it form around the bit to screw it off. I believe there are faq's somewhere on the web to do it. Never tried it myself, but was looking into it when I got my GC modded.
Hmm.. sounds risky. I also read somewhere about using a 2mm flathead but no method of usage. It just said you could so it with one.

btw.. I probably already said this before but.. GREAT SIG!!
Old 01-14-03, 01:32 PM

Found this on planetgamecube.com import gaming section.

Originally posted by Ecrofirt:

Here's a secret little tip i bet you didn't know. You don't need a gamebit to open your GameCube.

Go to Sears.com, and look up part 41866. Print out the results and bring it to your local sears. It's only $3, and works like a charm.

Sounds like a better alternative.
Edited my above post.
Old 01-14-03, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Edited my above post.
*sings* Did you ever know that you're my herooo?

Sweet damn. Blue LED here I come.

I should post pics of my Blue LED Saturn. It's just SOOO cool looking. I'm hoping to get a similar result with my Black GC. The DC did not look good at all. The 8-Bit Nintendo I did, well, that's cool just because it throws people off.
Old 01-14-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody happen to know if the LED is just a standard 5mm LED or is it something else. I can check when I get home, but I'd like to pick up the goods on the way home from work and not have to haul off back to Radio Shack after I've settled.
Old 01-15-03, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just to let anybody curious know, this tool DOES work and works well. I opened and put back together the Gamecube twice without any problems. However, the LED in the machine is freaking small. It's like a freak LED. The standard 5mm looks like it *may* fit.. but I'm asking around to see what info I can find.
Old 01-15-03, 08:25 AM

Dont go to radio shack to find odd sized LED's. Your local electronics store should carry some really tiny ones.
Old 01-15-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by menaz
Dont go to radio shack to find odd sized LED's. Your local electronics store should carry some really tiny ones.
Yeah no kidding. I'm going to try Frye's this weekend, or look around elsewhere, though I did email a couple of sites that do LED mods and asked what they recommend. The 5mm appears to fit under the clear plastic on the lid fine, it's just a matter of will it fit there when attached to the circuit board.
Old 01-15-03, 08:40 AM

hmmm

Can I ask why you want to open your gamecubes and modify them? What are you trying to accomplish? Are they broken?
just curious....
Old 01-15-03, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by hallospaceboy
Can I ask why you want to open your gamecubes and modify them? What are you trying to accomplish? Are they broken?
just curious....
It's call "customization". Did you even read the thread?
Old 01-15-03, 09:57 AM

Re: Re: hmmm

Originally posted by pixyboi
It's call "customization". Did you even read the thread?
thanks I read the thread.

But what are you customizing? what changes are you making?
what is the purpose of 'customizing' ?
geez.

I was only asking.
Old 01-15-03, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Opening your Gamecube

Press the eject button. HAHAHAHA. Anyway, keep us posted I wouldn't mind a blue LED if it is an easy operation.
_
Old 01-15-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
http://www.rice-console.com

j/k
Old 01-15-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Opening your Gamecube

Press the eject button. HAHAHAHA. Anyway, keep us posted I wouldn't mind a blue LED if it is an easy operation.
_
Can you handle a soldering iron?

If your answer is yes, it *should* be an easy operation. However, it looks a little more diffucult then say a Saturn or DC LED mod (both VERY simple).. The circuit board with the controller ports where the LED stands is vertical, so the LED is soldered on the board and then bent 90 degrees to point upward. Tonight I will check on if that board is easily removable and report here. I'll probably take the orange LED out to check if the 5mm LED will fit well. If it doesn't I'll try to find a smaller Blue LED. (However, I'm really in love with the ones I've been using at Radio Shack, thier color is SOOO nice).

Edit: The 90 degree thing isn't hard, I had to do it for the NES mod. The problem with that was not soldering or bending the LED, it was taking the damn machine apart. To get to the board that had the LED on it, I must've unscrewed 10 sepearte pieces. And the spring holder for the carts was a pain in the ass to get back in PROPERLY. Still.. an NES with a Blue LED is just freaking cool. We're thinking of spray painting it black and standing it on it's side next.
Old 01-15-03, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: hmmm

Originally posted by hallospaceboy
thanks I read the thread.

But what are you customizing? what changes are you making?
what is the purpose of 'customizing' ?
geez.

I was only asking.
Well if ya read the thread ya'd see that this was for an LED mod.

I may also be adding a mod swtich to the machine, since it appears that the Free Loader disc will never come out, (and the cost is cheaper if I do it myself).. I can't think of anything else really except case coloring but I like it black, so..

The "purpose" is 1. Practice electrical work. 2. Showing off. Nothing better than showing off how individual your toys aer, even if it's just a freaking Blue LED and everybody is doing it now (Dammit.. I've been obsessed with Blue LEDs since like 1998.. why the hell is it so popular now?!)

I'm sure there are other mod possibilities, I once saw a DC that had some shapes cut out of the lid, which looked damn cool. But I don't think I'd do it to a new system.
Old 01-15-03, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts
I'm really surprised how easy it is to mod the GC. I've had a Freeloader on pre-order since like Sept of last year. I'm starting to lose patience. I think I may be pulling out the old soldering iron pretty soon.