Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Is "Do Over" over?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is "Do Over" over?

I noticed the WB is now showin repeats of "High School Reunion" every Thursday night.

Has "Do Over" been cancelled? Or is it on hiatus?

I never heardanything about it going off the air and I figured it was just gone because of the holidays. Is it ever coming back?
Old 01-12-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's cancelled. It's final episode aired in early December.
Old 01-12-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 821 Likes on 606 Posts
Originally posted by Seantn
That bites I really liked the show. I guess Family Affair is canceled too my mom liked to watch it.
Old 01-12-03, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Family Affair sucked, but I thought Do Over was really good. Not sure why it was getting such bad ratings - it was a funny show. Fortunately "What I Like About You" made it through, I really enjoy that show as well.
Old 01-12-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 821 Likes on 606 Posts
Do Over should have replaced Sabrina. Sabrina is getting really bad.
Old 01-13-03, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 623 Likes on 502 Posts
Do Over was my favorite new comedy this season. Heck, it was one of the few comedies that I actually enjoyed.
Old 01-13-03, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Yeah, Do Over was excellent. That really sucks that it couldn't find an audience. I don't really know anyone that watched it. I must admit to also enjoying Family Affair in a strange way. The first few episodes were pretty bad, but once they found their footing, I thought it was good family programming ... something there's precious little of on TV right now.

das
Old 01-13-03, 12:10 PM

Are you sure it is cancelled?

I haven't been able to find anywhere where it says it's cancelled. Here are some recent stories.

http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?29507

A story about 'High School Reunion' says this ""This show is relatable because it is real. Going back in time on a scripted show doesn't feel nearly as real as it does when you reconnect with the people that you did share those years with," he says, referring to the lack of success for two scripted series, "Do Over" and the cancelled "That Was Then," that send thirtysomething guys back to the '80s to relive high school.

It doesn't say that Do Over was cancelled in that story.

Also this story http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?29106

The Thursday repeats of "Reunion" will bump "Family Affair" and "Do Over," which are going on hiatus until spring. Another new series, "The Surreal Life" -- a "Real World" -style series featuring B-list celebrities -- will join "JKX: The Jamie Kennedy Experiment" to create an all-unscripted night.

Also, even though this was dated 10-15-02, it offers some hope
http://tv.zap2it.com/news/tvnewsdaily.html?28476

The WB has picked up new comedies "Do Over" and "Greetings from Tucson," joining "Everwood" as series that will make it at least a year on the network.

The news was not good, however, for second-year comedy "Off Centre." The WB has stopped production of the show, and it will leave the air after November sweeps.

Neither "Tucson" nor "Do Over" has been a ratings smash -- they're averaging 3.8 million and 2.7 million viewers each week, respectively. But network executives like what the shows are doing creatively and are willing to give them a chance.

And finally someone posted this at http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet...-0/moduleid-34

Cancelling Do Over?

The WB is planning to bring this show back in March with
new episodes and broadcast repeats of earlier episodes.
This is the information I got when I called the WB.

So, I don't think they have cancelled 'Do Over', but I could be wrong and I hope I am not wrong, cause this is a very smart and funny show. Not your usual sitcom crap!

Chris
Old 01-13-03, 03:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't been able to find anywhere where it says it's cancelled. Here are some recent stories.
I'm actually friends with one of the cast members. They told me in December that they had just lost their job. It's been cancelled. I'm serious.
Old 01-13-03, 03:35 PM

I'm actually friends with one of the cast members. They told me in December that they had just lost their job. It's been cancelled. I'm serious.
Maybe when they come back with the new shows in March, they will just show those and the repeats and that will be it. What a shame!

Oh well, I find myself watching less and less network television, because they are cancelling all the good shows (i.e. Greg the Bunny, etc.).

Chris

p.s. what cast member are you friends with?
Old 01-16-03, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
what a great show. i hope it does come back.
Old 01-16-03, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't know, there are no "do overs" in real life, so it was difficult for me to regularly watch this flight of fantasy.

However, the episode where the lead character wants to be completely independent (during the US-USSR Olympic game) was pretty good. Of course, I gave the episode a couple of extra points if only because they played "In a Big Country" by one of the eighties' most under-rated groups Big Country.
Old 01-16-03, 12:39 PM

"Do Over" is/was the second funniest show on the six networks. Why the WB had the bright idea to put it up against the funniest show on the six networks ("Scrubbs") is beyond me. I only stumbled onto it after they put it on a Friday night one week. Had I missed that I likely never would have known about it.

If it really is gone, it joins that ever-growing list of shows I dug that died before their time. Undeclared. Grosse Pointe. Freaks and Geeks. Cupid. Now and Again. Square Pegs.

How sad.
Old 01-16-03, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Barings
I don't know, there are no "do overs" in real life, so it was difficult for me to regularly watch this flight of fantasy.
Yeah, fiction sucks!
Old 01-16-03, 07:43 PM

Breakfast with Girls: It's not so much that, as the fact that there's probably a ton of things that I would love to "do over" in my life. Watching a tv show where a character gets to change any aspect of his life just exacerbates the knowledge that I can't do so.

Unlike Star Trek or Run, Lola, Run (which was a good "Do Over" movie), I somehow wasn't willing to suspend disbelief for this series.
Old 01-17-03, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My only problem with the show was all the anachronisms.

It's supposed to be 1980 or 81 and they play music from 84 and 85 and the kids wear parachute pants and have dyed green hair.

They should have just set in 1985 and paid closer attention to the period detail if they wanted to do an "80's" show.

Freaks and Geeks perfectly captured 1980-- and 1980 seeemed a lot more "70's" than "80's".
Old 01-18-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 238 Likes on 142 Posts
Jadzia,

Yup...it seemed the writers just felt the show was this nebulous "80s" timeframe, and didn't keep track at all.

Besides, the music, they kept skipping around plot wise. The Empire Strikes Back was May 1980, the USA/USSR game was February 1980, and yet the opening credits said it was 1981....and just about every episode was all over the decade.

I actually didn't think the show was that funny, but I watched it since it had a spec of originality. I thought "That Was Then" was far more creative, of course it only lasted like 2 weeks.