Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Tough Enough III: The Final Four (01/09/03)

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 10:31 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Who did they get rid of, I missed it?

John - Jamie - Eric - Jonah - Matt

It was cool to see the return of the season 1 and 2 winners do a 5 on 5 with the season 3 folks... the tag match between the guys was great too... but Matt got the short end of the boot... ouch!

Did you see the bruising on Jonah's chest... wasn't half as painful as Matt's face... that's the last thing I saw.

Last edited by Goldberg74; 01-09-03 at 10:39 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No one, they are still there..
Old 01-09-03, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Bob Holly is a freakin punk, taking advantage of the kid like that. He can spout all the "doing it for his own good" crap he wants, but I know a bully when I see one.

Did you notice how they didn't show any footage of Jackie Gayda and Linda Miles in the ring against the TE3 contestants? How much are they regretting the decision to bring in those two?

How many more episodes left? When is the live special announcing the winners?

Honk!
Old 01-10-03, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Has anyone seen Bob Holly in a WWE match lately? It has been a long time since I have seen him in the ring. I wonder if he got in trouble for what he did to Matt? I agree that what he did was comlplete bullsh*t. He didn't do that to his own "kids" last season so why do it to Matt. I felt sorry for him because that "beating" messed him up there for awhile. I hope he can learn from this and win one of the contracts. I still think it will be Matt and John in the end.

I have to say that this season has to be the best season of Tough Enough yet. This cast is a closer group and as much as I didn't like the idea of Bill De Mott as a trainer in the beginning, I have begun to respect more and more each episode.
Old 01-10-03, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Great episode last night, you couldn't have planned more drama. Just as Bill truly connects with the kids as their mentor, he gets a call that his mentor died. EERIE!!!!!!

The Bob/Matt thing is just ridiculous

Last edited by GuessWho; 01-10-03 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-10-03, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally posted by WWE Jedi
Has anyone seen Bob Holly in a WWE match lately? It has been a long time since I have seen him in the ring. I wonder if he got in trouble for what he did to Matt? I agree that what he did was comlplete bullsh*t. He didn't do that to his own "kids" last season so why do it to Matt. I felt sorry for him because that "beating" messed him up there for awhile. I hope he can learn from this and win one of the contracts. I still think it will be Matt and John in the end.

I have to say that this season has to be the best season of Tough Enough yet. This cast is a closer group and as much as I didn't like the idea of Bill De Mott as a trainer in the beginning, I have begun to respect more and more each episode.
I think Bob Holly is out with another serious injury. Last I heard, it will be at least another 8 months to a year before he's able to come back.

This is my favorite season of TE too. It was a good group of contestants, even though Scott stuck around too long. Bill DeMott really elevated himself in his role as trainer.

Honk!
Old 01-10-03, 12:44 PM

Thanks for the update guys.
Old 01-10-03, 02:29 PM

Right on, C. Goose. Bob Holly is a bully and a punk. I do miss his character circa 2 years ago, the vaguely moronic tough guy. I can see teaching the guys a lesson that they can get hurt, and that people will resent them for their 'easy' path to the top, but Matt didn't deserve all that punishment.

I really like this season as well. At this point, while John is a lock and Matt is a strong contender, I like the five that are left. Jaime is a goof but is fun to watch. She had a nice top rope body press, too.

I thought DeMott showed a lot last night. Given how he's been yanked around his career, his words were powerful. Only possible negative-- it goes against his new bad ass gimmick on Smackdown.

For what it's worth-- I was more excited to see the 5 x 5 and 4 x4 matches than I have been to see *any* match on Raw recently.

Don't know how many episodes are left, but they said at dinner there's only a week left of the training. My guess is there will be no more cuts until the finale.
Old 01-10-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep ... I haven't watched wrestling in almost 2 years now, yet I watch Tough Enough religiously.

das
Old 01-10-03, 03:18 PM

Originally posted by das Monkey
Yep ... I haven't watched wrestling in almost 2 years now, yet I watch Tough Enough religiously.
You wanna know something das, my wife and I were discussing this just last night... I haven't watched wrestling since Goldberg hurt his arm punching out that car window. But I can't get enough of TE(III). This is first of the seasons that I'm actually considering getting the DVDs.

However, I was surprised to see Chris walk in 'cause I had no clue that he was even on TV!? But the shots of him in that letterman's jacket were funny.
Old 01-10-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 172 Posts
Originally posted by Goldberg74
However, I was surprised to see Chris walk in 'cause I had no clue that he was even on TV!? But the shots of him in that letterman's jacket were funny.
Yep... he's a great character on Raw. The know-it-all better-than-you Harvard guy.
Old 01-10-03, 04:10 PM

And funny rnough, Chris is more over than Maven, who won the show.

But Chris is a heel, and Maven's been hurt.
Old 01-10-03, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by das Monkey

das
I don't watch it religiously but I find it 10x more entertaining than RAW and Smackdown. I usually catch when they rerun the previous 2-4 weeks of TE.
Old 01-11-03, 12:56 AM

Here is a portion of an interview that Bob Holly did this morning with WWE.com. This portion has to do with last night's episode of Tough Enough.

"As far as Tough Enough III goes," Holly said, "I've never seen a bigger bunch of crybabies in all my life. I'm serious. Matt gets on there and says I disrespected him? I don't have to respect somebody I don't know (and have never been in the ring with).

"He was crying over a black eye and bruises on his chest from when I chopped him. This isn't ballet. People are going to get black eyes and busted lips. I don't know how many times I've had those in my career. But you don't cry about it. (As a trainer) on Tough Enough II, I put Jake through the ringer, I put Hawk through the ringer (and) I put Kenny though the ringer. Because I wanted to test those guys. None of them complained about it."

He continued: "They made a mockery about what I did on Tough Enough III. They should be embarrassed. I'm not sorry for what I did. I don't regret what I did. (When) Bob Holly is coming; I'm coming to be Bob Holly. I'm not going to change for anybody. They said they didn't know what to expect when I got in there. If they were a fan of Tough Enough I or II, or wrestling in general, they would have known what they had in store for them when I got in there."

Holly also said he warned them when he got there. He said he filmed the show just a few weeks before he had the operation on his neck.

"I didn't have to do it; I wanted to do it," he said. "And he's going to sit there and cry over what I did? He doesn't need to be in the business. The only thing I do is hurt people's pride. I don't hurt people physically. I just hurt their pride. That's all part of learning. If you can't take what I dish out, don't get in there with me. What I dish out, I expect back. There are no bones about that at all. That's just the way it is -- tit-for-tat."

I don't care how tough this guy is or thinks he is, but he is still an as*hole in my book. And from what they showed us last season he never treated last years group the way he treated Matt.
Old 01-11-03, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Honestly, I thought what Bob Holly did was show him an extreme. In the ring you have to admit, their is some very stiff hitters. He atleast showed the extreme of a match and saw if Matt could finish it. I am all for matt winning, he has the look and the attitude, but if this broke him.. I don't know. I'm glad he didn't walk away though
Old 01-11-03, 10:43 AM

"I miss the old Sparky Plug."
Old 01-11-03, 10:55 AM

Now here is Droz's take on what happened. Droz was paralized during a match with D-Lo Brown back in 1999.

On Tough Enough Thursday night, for all of you that missed it, the show started off with a multi-person tag match. There were people in from all the other Tough Enough shows, and one of those people was Hardcore Holly. When he entered the ring against Matt it went from bad to worse in a hurry. Up until this point, things were flowing very smoothly and then Hardcore delivered a savage beating to this cast member. I've known Holly for a long time, and he is probably one of the most intense people that I know when it comes to in-ring fire, but in my eyes he definitely went overboard in his "assault." He put a beating on this kid that was totally unwarranted. I understand his mindset of trying to teach toughness, but he took advantage of the situation that he was in. When it was all over, this poor kid was battered and bloody, wondering what he did to deserve this and he had a good point. We are taught to protect each other in the ring and to work with each other, and he was wondering why this had happened. Bill DeMott tried to explain to him afterwards that you are going to run into people like this sometimes in the wrestling world, and the best thing to do is exactly what he did, deal with it and go on. He definitely gained respect from not only his fellow cast mates, but all the trainers as well. Still, it is a bitter pill to swallow when it's going on.

I've been through this situation before in a live match when I first started out and thoughts definitely go through your mind about just laying your opponent out. That's where professionalism comes in and you learn that there is a time and a place for everything. My hat goes off to this kid for dealing with it in the manner that he did, and I wish him the best of luck.
Old 01-11-03, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts
What Bob Holly did probably was on the extreme side but from what I have read this kind of thing happens to everyone that enters the business. Even a guy like Hulk Hogan got beat up by Andre the Giant on a regular basis when he was starting out. Matt better get used to this because there are going to be a lot of jealous people when he goes to the WWE.
Old 01-11-03, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Holly's such a ****in' punk. There's a difference between teaching someone respect and abusing their trust. If his head weren't so far up his ass, he'd realize that Matt wasn't upset because he took a beating; he was upset because he didn't understand. Months of being taught to respect the industry and trust his ringmate, he puts his trust in Holly's hands, and he pisses all over it to placate his ego.

Yeah, this is going to happen to Matt again if he wins this thing, so it's an excellent lesson to learn, but Holly's not fooling anyone with his self-important preaching that he has the right to teach that lesson in that manner. My take was the same as Droz's. Who cares about what Matt did after the match ... he had legitimate questions and concerns and deserved some answers. But in the ring, he took the beating like a man; he did exactly what he should do; he showed Holly respect in the face of the opposite. He didn't go whining to the trainers. He kept his mouth shut, but he was understandably confused, and Holly's a bitch for mocking him in his interview.

das
Old 01-11-03, 06:31 PM

I would love to know what Good Ol' J.R.'s (Jim Ross) opinion is on this incident. But he stopped doing his weekly "Ross Report" last week. Seems kind of convenient that he ended it the week before something as big as this happened. He probably knew that the WWE was going to get bombarded with emails over this.
Old 01-11-03, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That would be great to get J.R.'s opinion on it...be interesting to hear what he would say...
Old 01-11-03, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Goldberg74
"I miss the old Sparky Plug."
Me too...
Old 01-12-03, 12:04 AM

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
Me too...
Does anyone remember that character's first name? ( ________ "Sparky" Plug)

The answer:

Spoiler:
Thurman

... don't ask me how I know.