Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Afterburner price drop....

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-03, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Afterburner price drop....

------------------------------------------------ From TritonLabs.com: "My fellow gamers, the Afterburner has been a great success since its release in May of 2003 as a result of the unprecedented level of support it received from customers like you and the gaming press. It has offered gamers around the world an unbeatable value in enhancing their ability to play the Game Boy Advance. As of January 9, 2003, we are proud to announce that the price of the Afterburner kit has been lowered to $25. We intend to remain competitive with our flagship product despite the recent weather change in the portable gaming industry. Indeed at this new price point the Afterburner's value for current GBA owners is even more impressive than before. Keep an eye out for two new product releases (neither light related) in the next three months. We are expecting to roll out our newest creation by the end of January. And the subsequent product is of epic proportions. To all of our customers: we will never forget your support and we hope you enjoy your Afterburners for years to come." -Adam Curtis, President/CEO ------------------------------------------------
I wonder how much this actually had to do with Nintendo's little announcement? Maybe 100% or so

Good deal for those of you who like the style of the GBA. I love mine.
Old 01-09-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oooh.. that's not bad. Decisions, decisions..

Are they hard to install?! I'm pretty good with a soldering iron and all. Have modded PSX's and done many LED mods on almost ALL my systems.
Old 01-09-03, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk God

Nah, just get Ahgama to do it for you j/k

Hard enough that I sent mine off, but I can't solder for crap. If you can mod a system, you can do this. Get a stealth dimmer while you are at it, or just leave the dimmer off the GBA (my opinion).
Old 01-09-03, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When compared to an original GBA outfitted with the Triton Labs Afterburner light, the GBA SP appears to provide an extremely similar experience. It also features a button on the face of the unit that will let you disable the light, should you find yourself in well-lit surroundings.

http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...908372,00.html
Old 01-09-03, 06:37 PM

the soldering's not that tough...it's modding the case that is an absolute BITCH...proper measurements, depth, etc....although I hear now that you can get premodded faceplates to eliminate that worry.

The solder points are massive compared to even PSX modding
Old 01-09-03, 07:31 PM
Retired

Re: Afterburner price drop....

[/i]
From TritonLabs.com: "My fellow gamers, the Afterburner has been a great success since its release in May of 2003 as a result of the unprecedented level of support it received from customers like you and the gaming press.
[/B]
Pretty good that it's been a great success when it doesn't come out for another four months.

Good to know TritronLabs proofreads their PR.
Old 01-09-03, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: Afterburner price drop....

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Pretty good that it's been a great success when it doesn't come out for another four months.

Good to know TritronLabs proofreads their PR.
\

LOL Good catch.
Old 01-10-03, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How much did the afterburner cost before the price drop?

Also, is the afterburner a front-lit system like the GBA-SP?

One more thing . Is the lcd screen just as reflective with the afterburner as without it, so that you can use the GBA with the afterburner brightness turned down if the ambient light is bright enough?
Old 01-10-03, 03:35 PM

How much did the afterburner cost before the price drop?
$35 for the AB only

Also, is the afterburner a front-lit system like the GBA-SP?
yes

Is the lcd screen just as reflective with the afterburner as without it, so that you can use the GBA with the afterburner brightness turned down if the ambient light is bright enough?
a dimmer costs extra, but yes you can play only with ambient light if you wanted to(with dimmer installed)..but once you have the AB you'll not want to tun it off in any lighting condition...

--mike
Old 01-10-03, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk God

It was $35 plus shipping, and it is frontlit as well.

I had a screen "protector" installed which is nothing more than a slightly thicker screen. I think Nintendo sells them for $2 or somethin (probably $5), and I see no glare. If you turn down the afterburner brightness, it is just like before you ever installed it...crappy.
Old 01-10-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

So which is better, the Halo light or the Afterburner?

From what I understand, the only differences are that the Halo is easier to install, but the Afterburner runs off of the same battery as the GBA. I don't want to risk messing the GBA up since I don't have any experience with that kind of thing, so I may get the Halo whenever it comes out. Hopefully its price will drop soon, too.
Old 01-13-03, 05:53 PM

How does the Afterburner work ? Does it use more batteries?
Can I send my GBA somewhere to have it installed?
Does anybody know where and how?
thanks
Old 01-13-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

You can send the GBA to www.yourhappyplace.com I believe. www.portablemonopoly.net is another. Try www.liksang.com and see if they have them.

Now, I had to wait 3 months for mine. You might be well ahead to buy one already installed (if possible) and ebay your other, or give it to you favorite nephew, or something.

I still get about 10 hours or more with my afterburner on. I notice no battery difference. Also, wrt the Halo light...I tend to wonder if it will ever come out, especially in light of (heh, heh) the GBA sp.
Old 01-13-03, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
You can send the GBA to www.yourhappyplace.com I believe. www.portablemonopoly.net is another. Try www.liksang.com and see if they have them.

Now, I had to wait 3 months for mine. You might be well ahead to buy one already installed (if possible) and ebay your other, or give it to you favorite nephew, or something.

I still get about 10 hours or more with my afterburner on. I notice no battery difference. Also, wrt the Halo light...I tend to wonder if it will ever come out, especially in light of (heh, heh) the GBA sp.
I've heard that www.portablemonopoly.net is getting bad reviews for turnaround time, etc.

I have heard good reviews about www.yourhappyplace.com
Old 01-14-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
I installed my Afterburner with no problems. The case only case modes required are 2 cuts to the top part of the case. If you install the included dimmer in the recommended location, 4 tiny holes need be drilled. Pretty easy, esecially if you have a Dremel tool, I used a metal file.
Old 01-14-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anybody have pics of what a SOLID COLOR Gameboy looks like with the light installed? All the pics I saw were of one of the clear colors, and I don't like how the light kinda bleeds through it.
Old 01-14-03, 09:52 AM

Mine is solid indigo (matches my Gamecube) with an afterburner in it. I got it installed at yourhappyplace.com. It's a very professional and friendly site, plus Greg was an all around cool guy and super fast about it. I'm on campus right now and won't be home until late evening though, i have posted a picture of it a few months ago on this forum, if you do a search for "afterburner" on this forum you might find the thread where i put it, otherwise i'll post it after I get home (unless someone else does it). It looks really nice btw .
Old 01-14-03, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Outlaw
Mine is solid indigo (matches my Gamecube) with an afterburner in it. I got it installed at yourhappyplace.com. It's a very professional and friendly site, plus Greg was an all around cool guy and super fast about it. I'm on campus right now and won't be home until late evening though, i have posted a picture of it a few months ago on this forum, if you do a search for "afterburner" on this forum you might find the thread where i put it, otherwise i'll post it after I get home (unless someone else does it). It looks really nice btw .
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=248355
Old 01-14-03, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk God

I have the white one. I will try to post a pic sometime soon. I went through portablemonopoly and the turn around time was awful, but the installation was fantastic.
Old 01-14-03, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BTW if you order the GBA Afterburner Pack SP^2 from LikSang it seems a lot easier to install...

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=2420&

Comes with

-The Afterburner light
-A full color manual
-A brightness dial
-Wire
-Anti-reflective film
-Special tri-wing screw-driver
-Afterburner Case (I'm getting a Platinum one!!!)
-Afterburner Dimmer Chip V2 a new faceplate

Sounds like a decent deal... now all I have to do is remember how to solder!
Old 01-14-03, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah.. the picture looks great except that those little light lines.. x.x; I'm quite happy with my Light Shield for now, so I'll just wait to see how the new SP looks and feels. Besides, even getting the import SP is cheaper than getting a new regular GBA with AB installed. Paitence is a virtue I need to practice on..
Old 01-14-03, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by rfduncan
BTW if you order the GBA Afterburner Pack SP^2 from LikSang it seems a lot easier to install...

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...ducts_id=2420&

Comes with

-The Afterburner light
-A full color manual
-A brightness dial
-Wire
-Anti-reflective film
-Special tri-wing screw-driver
-Afterburner Case (I'm getting a Platinum one!!!)
-Afterburner Dimmer Chip V2 a new faceplate

Sounds like a decent deal... now all I have to do is remember how to solder!
Hmm.. is that tri=wing screwdriver that same you need to open a Gamecube?
Old 01-14-03, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by pixyboi
I'm quite happy with my Light Shield for now, so I'll just wait to see how the new SP looks and feels. Besides, even getting the import SP is cheaper than getting a new regular GBA with AB installed. Paitence is a virtue I need to practice on..
exactly my stance on the subject as well...
Old 01-15-03, 12:40 AM

Originally posted by sniper308
exactly my stance on the subject as well...
man i had a reply all typed out but when i hit submit i got an error and then the whole dvdtalk site didn't work for awhile , i hope i didn't break it, but it seems to be working now, anyway i'll briefly talk about it here.

thanks for finding that link btw sniper308, as far as the lines on the screen i'm not sure where they came from because they aren't visible when playing. I have gotten them by angling the gba in abnormal positions but those are unsuitable for playing, plus the camera i used for that shot was pretty awful (actually was a camcorder, hence the red light reflected in the screen). It actually looks much brighter than that in person but you can see that the lighting is even across the whole screen. I'd probably wait it out and see if you can import an SP if you can or until March for the US version, though the AB is good if it gets installed correctly. A little factoid, i read that the AB uses 2 lights, one on each side of the screen, and the GBA SP uses 1 light on each side of the screen for a total of four lights.
Old 01-15-03, 10:47 AM

Ah.. the picture looks great except that those little light lines
I recently got the AB installed and never having seen an AB modded GBA before I can say that I was a little taken aback by the light lines too... i didn't expect it. You don't really notice them while looking directly on and playing but when you tilt the GBA enough you do kinda notice them... I got used to my AB GBA and the light really helps the eye fatigue factor but I kinda wished I waited for the GBASP

--mike

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.