Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamecube Third Party Games Question

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-09-03, 09:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I heard that Gamecube is losing alot of the 3rd party games. Is this true. If so, does this mean all the EA Sports and Sega Sports games will not be on Gamecube. I just bought a GC and this would be a stupid purchase for me now. I saw all the price drops on the EA sports titles and noticed that they don't even sell some of the SEga sports games like NCAA Basketball 2K3 anymore. if anyone can tell me what's going on, what titles will be lost, what companies or what would be left, i would be greatly appreciative. Thanks for any help.
Old 01-09-03, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There's been a rumor that Sega will not put the 2k4 games on the Cube. I think this would be stupid on Sega's part. There are still plenty of other Sega games on the way for the Cube though. EA's games are still coming for sure too.
Old 01-09-03, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Nintendo peeved off alot of 3rd parties going way back to the NES days... as their dominance started to wear off, more and more publishers started to happily walk away from them. Their last system had pretty weak 3rd party support, but they're starting to improve on 3rd party relations. I wouldn't worry about it too much. They're at the point (as everyone is) where they just throw piles of money at 3rd parties so they'll make games for them.
Old 01-09-03, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Kellehair
There's been a rumor that Sega will not put the 2k4 games on the Cube. I think this would be stupid on Sega's part. There are still plenty of other Sega games on the way for the Cube though. EA's games are still coming for sure too.
Sega's sports games sell very poorly on the Cube, so yeah - they're thinking of just not bothering.
Old 01-09-03, 09:22 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There was a rumor in this month's EGM mag that has been discussed to death in another thread. Bottom line: the EGM guy has shown himself to be less than credible in the past, and no official announcement has been made.

The Gamecube currently has much much more 3rd party support than the N64 ever did. Now Nintendo owners can too share in the pleasures of having to rifle through stacks of crappy games to find the ones they want.
Old 01-09-03, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sega's sports games sell very poorly on the Cube, so yeah - they're thinking of just not bothering.
Yeah, Sega's sports games have sold terribly on the Cube. But they haven't sold well any system. Madden 2003 outsold NFL 2k3 8 to 1. NBA 2k3, probably Sega's best sports game, had a close battle with this year's entry in the the long maligned NBA Live series. I assume NHL 2k3 got beat soundly by NHL 2003 too. Sega's games are too good for sales to stay down so I think their sales will be up on all consoles. I think it would be worth their while to put their sports games on the Cube too. It might help if they did a decent job of it for once as well.
Old 01-09-03, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
To be honest, so far there are VERY FEW 3rd party games on the Cube I want. The good thing is that Nintendo's 1st/2nd party games are so freaking amazing that they're worth owning the system for.

It seems Sega's strategy for system exclusives is putting kid themed games on the Cube (Monkey Ball, Sonic), thier original titles on Xbox (JSRF, Panzer Dragoon) and their crap goes to the PS2 (Shinobi). Though in Japan, the PS2 will be getting remakes of classic Sega titles, which makes me jealous.
Old 01-09-03, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Considering you can load up on EA 2003 sports titles dirt cheap on the GameCube right now I think its great to have a Cube for sports. I've already picked up Madden, Live, and Tigger. I will be adding Knockout Kings, NHL and the college games soon as well.

Will their be 2004 sports games? Don't know, but EA has always supported Nintendo pretty well and I'm sure there will at least be the major titles like Madden which sells pretty well on every console. Stuff like boxing and golf or the college games might get dropped though. Its hard to know for sure.
Old 01-09-03, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ugh.

I can guarantee you EA will have their sports games on the cube. If Sega does leave it just means EA will have a monopoly on the sports arena. No one will walk away from that.