Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

GBA SP Poll - Will you buy it or not?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games
View Poll Results: Will you buy a GBA SP?
Yes (I already have a GBA)
36.70%
No (I already have a GBA, no need for an extra)
24.77%
Yes (I don't have a GBA)
16.51%
No (I dont have a GBA and wont be buying an SP)
11.01%
Undecided
11.01%
Voters: 109. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-03, 06:43 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Please vote above...alose any questions/discussions
Old 01-08-03, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
I'm waiting for Service Pack 2.

Seriously though, I don't have a need for a handheld system.
Old 01-08-03, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dunno yet, I have to try one out to see if it feels as weird as it looks first.
Old 01-08-03, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i got one of them lynx systems sitting in the closet... in other words, i quickly tire of portable systems.

i may get some for my niece/nephews...
Old 01-08-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by young
i got one of them lynx systems sitting in the closet... in other words, i quickly tire of portable systems.

i may get some for my niece/nephews...
You do know the Gameboy platform has over ten years worth of software right?

I've got a Gamegear collecting dust myself, but I'm buying this badboy. The lighting has always been the thing to piss me off the most about Gameboys, so I've sorta gotten out of gaming. But this is the thing to pull me back in.
Old 01-08-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I think I will get one. I'm kind of ticked there is no Black one in the US, but the Platinum looks pretty good. I like protecting the screen when its closed, but I will have to sell my current Game Boy with the afterburner in it.
Old 01-08-03, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

For those people really wanting black you can import it. It will play all games no problem.
Old 01-08-03, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No. I don't like the rechargeable battery pack and the lack of a headphone jack.
Old 01-08-03, 07:47 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
More than likely I'll get one... probably the Platinum one. Then I'll give my GBA to my son to play when ever he wants.

However, the rechargable pack sounds like a nuesense... especially on international flights.
Old 01-08-03, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Originally posted by jeffdsmith

For those people really wanting black you can import it. It will play all games no problem.
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln! This thing just looks cooler and cooler the more I look at it.
Old 01-08-03, 07:55 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nope.

I play my GBA at home 99% of the time, so the GCN adapter coming out this spring is the obvious purchase for me.

For the rare occasions I play outside of the home, I've never had any problems seeing the plain GBA with a Pelican Light Shield.
Old 01-08-03, 07:58 PM

Already have 1 GBC, 2 GBA, but I don't mind buying GBA SP.
Old 01-08-03, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
Sweet mother of Abraham Lincoln! This thing just looks cooler and cooler the more I look at it.
It reminds me of an old style cigerette case.
Old 01-08-03, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What I'm saying now: No.
What I'll be doing when it comes out, probably: Buying one.
Old 01-08-03, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have a GB, GBC, and 2 GBAs. Will definitely buy one of these, I plan to trade off and play them where it works best. In bed the new one will be good since I don't have a good light source. On a plane the old GBA will be fine with the overhead light and I won't have to worry about my battery dying. I'll probably buy the GCN adapter as well but that's just because I'm a hardware junky with too much money to burn

I'm also going to get a second link cable, 3 GBA with 2 link cables (one more to go...)
Old 01-08-03, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I put down a vote for undecided. I almost exclusively use my GBA in my home so Iv'e got my eye on that new Cube adapter. I'll wait until I get a chance to demo the new model in a store though. If it feels great and looks great I might be tempted to buy one.
Old 01-08-03, 10:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
I really don't do portable gaming that often, so I think the GC adaptor is the option for me.
Old 01-09-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by milo bloom
You do know the Gameboy platform has over ten years worth of software right?

I've got a Gamegear collecting dust myself, but I'm buying this badboy. The lighting has always been the thing to piss me off the most about Gameboys, so I've sorta gotten out of gaming. But this is the thing to pull me back in.

the software's not the big problem for me. more that a situation where i say something like, "i wish i had a portable game system right now" never really happens. usually, i'm the one driving. or on a plane, i'd rather watch a movie. that kind of stuff.

i do like the way the new gameboy looks.
Old 01-09-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've decided I'll get one. If I don't like it, I'm sure I'll get my coin back on eBay.
Old 01-09-03, 11:53 AM

There's simply not enough improvements over a GBA with an Afterburner installed to warrant a new purchase IMO.

I already have rechargable batteries...I like the fact that I can carry some spares with me if I know I'm not going to have access to a power outlet for long periods of time. Also I can be charging one set of batteries while I'm playing with the other.

Plus I hate the headphones adapter thing...what a pain in the arse.

Now if Nintendo had put a second set of L and R buttons on the front like many people wanted, I'd buy it. It could be useful in several games, particularly fighting games like SF2:Revival. Just for kicks I photoshopped a pic to see how it would look:

If only they'd have listened...
Old 01-09-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by vd0man
There's simply not enough improvements over a GBA with an Afterburner installed to warrant a new purchase IMO.

I already have rechargable batteries...I like the fact that I can carry some spares with me if I know I'm not going to have access to a power outlet for long periods of time. Also I can be charging one set of batteries while I'm playing with the other.

Plus I hate the headphones adapter thing...what a pain in the arse.

Now if Nintendo had put a second set of L and R buttons on the front like many people wanted, I'd buy it. It could be useful in several games, particularly fighting games like SF2:Revival. Just for kicks I photoshopped a pic to see how it would look:

If only they'd have listened...

You DO know that that pic will be ALL OVER the Internet

"Say is that the special edition GBASP that is only sold in Japanese massage parlors for one weekend only"

Last edited by tanman; 01-09-03 at 12:51 PM.
Old 01-09-03, 12:52 PM

Are you a little confused on the whole Game Boy Advance SP situation? Wondering what the new added features are? Well be lost no more, for Nintendo of Europe has given us a solution. They came up with this nice little flash movie that clears everything up.

http://www.nintendo-europe.com/NOE/e...gba_sp_EN.html

I got this from game2extreme.
Old 01-09-03, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm buying a GBA SP, already have a GBA, selling it on eBay to recoup some dough.
Old 01-09-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

After thinking this over, I think I'm just going to get a afterburner installed on my current GBA. The battery issue is killing me. I mostly play my GBA on the subway going to and from work. I can't count how many times I've had to change the batteries while riding the subway. It appears you have to screw in the battery on the SP? Why can't it clip in? If it clipped in I would have hope that a 3rd party AA adapter would make it's way to the SP, if there's enough room. I've seen no pics of the bottom of the thing, so I don't know. I'll wait until it comes out and see how it holds and such (I've waited this long for the announcement), but right now I'm leaning toward a Afterburner mod
Old 01-09-03, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I already pre-ordered it at EB. They made me pre-purchase a game with it, but I buy enough games anyway that it didn't really matter.

Cobalt baby!

I needed the flipscreen design to make it smaller and more convenient, plus to protect the screen. I hate carrying around the system and my light, and changing the batteries once a week.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.