Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

Chuck Barris on The Gong Show: OR Please give me the name of your dealer !

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am sitting here watching THE GONG SHOW for the very first time in my life. It is a special touting the wide release of Confessions of A Dangerous Mind.

All I have to say is that Chuck Barris is funny as hell...at his own expense. He is such a bad game show host (in that he seems so unprepared and I get from this show that he could have had 10,000 reasons as to why he was unprepared), that it makes him come off as suave and hilarious.

Maybe he meant that? (My mother just told me that she thought he was pretty sexy when he hosted the Gong Show. "O-kay....?" I said back.)

(The Gong Show is considered a game show right? The best "act" does get around $500 bucks.)

It does irks me that "Chucky Baby" claps once or twice before every act and constantly stares at the ground. And that Jay P. Morgan (sp) woman needs to settle down; the horny broad.

But I find this show (only by watching for a couple of hours) has constantly had me laughing.

I do wish I would have gotten to share the wealth of the free flowing 70s and those wonderful times these people had with some of the most wonderful of drugs. In a more PC century, it seems that would never happen.

Barris: We'll be right back with more...stuff.

Last edited by conscience; 01-05-03 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-06-03, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Where are you seeing the Gong Show? On the Game Show Network?
Old 01-06-03, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I loved watching the Gong Show in the 70's. I had the hots for Jaye P. Morgan. In the Gong Show Movie she flashed her little breasts and I thought I was in heaven.

The whole point of the show was to get a bunch of bad acts perform and then pick the best of the worst. Chuck Barris was equally bad on purpose. Whenever there were dog acts on the show, he would hide meat in his pants so the dogs would go for his crotch.

Other than Jaye P. Morgan, my favorite characters on the show were the Unknown Comic and Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine.

Favorite Unknown Comic jokes:

UC: Chuck, do you have sex in the shower with your wife.
CB: No.
UC: Well, you should 'cause she really likes it.

UC: Chuck, is my zipper down.
UC: Well, it should be 'cause I'm taking a piss.
Old 01-06-03, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by joefrog91
I loved watching the Gong Show in the 70's. I had the hots for Jaye P. Morgan. In the Gong Show Movie she flashed her little breasts and I thought I was in heaven.

The whole point of the show was to get a bunch of bad acts perform and then pick the best of the worst. Chuck Barris was equally bad on purpose. Whenever there were dog acts on the show, he would hide meat in his pants so the dogs would go for his crotch.

Other than Jaye P. Morgan, my favorite characters on the show were the Unknown Comic and Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine.

Favorite Unknown Comic jokes:

UC: Chuck, do you have sex in the shower with your wife.
UC: Well, you should 'cause she really likes it.

UC: Chuck, is my zipper down.
UC: Well, it should be 'cause I'm taking a piss.
I saw the episode with the dude playing the harmonica (?) with his dog by his side. I was wondering why the dog kept going for the crotch area of Barris.

I think this show would be great on dvd.

I loved Gene, Gene the Dancing Machine.

Barris sure can dance.

Last edited by conscience; 01-06-03 at 10:15 AM.
Old 01-06-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by big whoppa
Where are you seeing the Gong Show? On the Game Show Network?
I think it was a one night thing on the Game Show Network.

I have no idea if it is coming back on a regular schedule.

I wish it would.

Barris is hilarious.
Old 01-09-03, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by conscience
Barris is hilarious.

I think you mean Special Agent Barris is hilarious.
Old 01-09-03, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Kromax
I think you mean Special Agent Barris is hilarious.

I just picked up the book Confessions of a Dangerous Mind but haven't read it yet. (I just got back to my dorm from winter vacation and have to settle in for classes soon. So it will probably have to wait until I have time.)

But over the winter break, I did read THE GAME SHOW KING and after reading the stories he tells, it seems that he bends the truth a whole lot.

Some of the stories are just too fake sounding.

But the man is still cool as hell.

:sighs: I just don't know what to believe.
Old 01-09-03, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Barris is scheduled to be on Letterman Thursday FWIW.....
Old 01-09-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by djbrown
Barris is scheduled to be on Letterman Thursday FWIW.....

Thanks for letting me know. I will set the recorder.
Old 01-09-03, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
I've wished for years that someone would start showing this again....nick-at-night or game show network or someone....I'm really bummed i missed the GSN marathon
Old 01-09-03, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

brizz,

I read somewhere that Game Show Network aired the show earlier in 2001, but that was before GSN was available in my area.

Bastards.

I think I have seen every episode of the Newlywed Game ever, so why don't they give that a rest and put the Gong Show on...

Don't get me started on that new crap they show.

Lingo? WTF?

I found a rental copy of the GONG SHOW MOVIE at a local Blockbuster. I am picking it up tomorrow and a couple of us will be watching it in my dorm.

I heard it was a total dud, but I don't care. I will still probably laugh my ass off.
Old 01-10-03, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah that ticked me off too when I got the Game Show Network. I wanna see The Gong Show and Make Me Laugh. I think those shows were on back to back on USA when I was a kid.
Old 01-10-03, 02:02 PM
Banned

Homer: We got more gongs than the break dancing robot who caught on fire.
Old 01-10-03, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,879 Likes on 1,237 Posts
Originally posted by conscience
Don't get me started on that new crap they show.

Lingo? WTF?
Awww...I like Lingo. It's the only one of the original series -- Russian Roulette, Whammy, and Friend or Foe (is that all of 'em?) -- that I can tolerate. I used to watch Bumper Stumpers on USA back in the day, though, so what do I know?
Old 01-10-03, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by ctyner
Awww...I like Lingo. It's the only one of the original series -- Russian Roulette, Whammy, and Friend or Foe (is that all of 'em?) -- that I can tolerate. I used to watch Bumper Stumpers on USA back in the day, though, so what do I know?
Sorry.

But I don't see any fun in watching people try to spell 5 letter words to get Lingo. and those parting gifts are crap-o-rama.

Borders gift card? WTF?

And those two new shows:

Cram and Win Tuition. Please. Make the pain stop!

I always thought the Game Show Network should show all of the classic shows. Leave Pax-TV and the Family Channel to the new ones.

They still show some of the classic shows, but mostly mid-day and I either don't get up early enough to watch or am in class when they are on.
Old 01-23-03, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Guess what!

Tonight January 23rd

They are rerunning the same episodes from earlier this month.

9PM-12Midnight

Confessions of a Gong Show Marathon

On Game Show Network

They may rerun them again starting at 12 Midnight, but I am not sure. They did last time.

The film goes wide tomorrow.
Old 01-23-03, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

sweet!! Of course i didn't see this message until 11:30, so they better reshow them starting at midnight dammit!!
Old 01-23-03, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

fyi: they are replaying them as of midnight
Old 01-24-03, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by joefrog91
The whole point of the show was to get a bunch of bad acts perform and then pick the best of the worst. Chuck Barris was equally bad on purpose...
...and coked up from what I understood from folks who watched it when it originally aired. Also the really, really AWFUL acts were staged by out-of-work L.A. actors and not real people.

Does anyone remember the Carol Burnett "Momma's Family" skit where Unice goes on The Gong Show to sing "Feelings"?
Old 01-24-03, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well I have read his biography, The Game Show King, and he says he did drugs twice in his life. Once, he states that he smoked a joint with friends at a party and felt nothing. The other time he was on drugs was when Mama Cass (from the Mamas and the Papas) made him a cake spiked with hashish (he didn't know about the hashish) and he ate this big piece and had to get someone to take him home. When he got home he freaked out. He had to call some guy to come over and sit with him all night long. The next day he went to the beach and slept for hours.

I am reading Confessions of A Dangerous Mind right now and so far he hasn't said anything about drugs.

But in the former biography, he states that the reason he was like that on The Gong Show was that he was both shy and he was going through a mid-life crisis. He didn't know what to be. So he went with the goofy persona and it worked.

In his books, he makes himself out to be this boring guy who doesn't even like to have people talking to him. He says that he likes to be alone a lot.
Old 01-24-03, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts
Given the state of prime time TV these days, I think the Gong Show is ready for revival as a new reality series! Chuck Barris could even return as host.
Old 01-24-03, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'd settle for reruns of the original. In fact I'd prefer reruns than a remake.

Last week I saw the E! True Hollywood Story of The Gong Show. The people they talked to all said that Chuck was very quiet and shy off camera, so he at least didn't make that part up.
Old 01-24-03, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Does anyone know any more Unknown comic jokes. The ones posted above had me laughing my arse off.

Can't wait to see this movie. Looks great.
Old 01-24-03, 11:43 PM

I read an interview with him at IGN filmforce.

He said he wasn't into the drug scence cause he knew had has an addictive personality..and knew if he stared doing drugs he would kiss his tv carrer goodbye