Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-03, 07:06 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

After Christmas, I went out and splurged on a brand new Black GBA. I actually had second thoughts about it, and even tried to return it after I purchased it, but because the box was already open, they wouldn't allow it. Lucky me. I bought Castlevania: COTM and started playing around with it. The GBA is my new favorite video game system. Its the best thing since the SNES. I can't say enough good things about it, but do yourself a favor and get one if you haven't yet. Its definately worth it.
Old 01-05-03, 07:16 AM

Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Originally posted by JDog1892
Its the best thing since the SNES.

Do you own a PS2 ?
Old 01-05-03, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've had mine for a while ... but just picked up Metroid Fusion a couple of weeks ago & the GBA is now my favorite again too ... (with a good lighting solution of course )
Old 01-05-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ive had the white GBA since it came out. Ive been playing Zelda: A link to the past daily. It uses up the batteries in a day, though. Ive tried hooking up my adaptor but it makes noise so I cant use it, and the purple power pak wont charge.
Old 01-05-03, 09:28 AM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Originally posted by Steelers Fan
Do you own a PS2 ?
PS2 and a Gamecube. I've played some games on the XBox too. I can't exactly explain why, but I feel a bit disenfranchised by this latest generation of consoles. I thought maybe its because I feel as though the videogame makers have stopped making games for the gamer, and started making them for the mainstream. I thought maybe I've grown out of them. But now that I have the GBA, I realize that I haven't grown out of them, and that there still is a system out there that just puts out what I've been looking for since the old days.

If you are an old skool (NES, SNES) gamer, do yourself a favor and get a GBA.
Old 01-05-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have one. To me it's a fun time killer, nothing more.....
Old 01-05-03, 11:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally posted by JaxComet
Have one. To me it's a fun time killer, nothing more.....
Shouldn't this be true of all game systems?
Old 01-05-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'd love to get one. I don't know what's stopping me. I had a GBC, but found that after the first couple months, I quit playing it.
Old 01-05-03, 06:39 PM

I love my GBA as well, but I have never completed a game on it. I play them for a bit and then either move on to something else or get stuck. I was playing Mega Man Zero, but then I got Metroid Fusion, which is awesome. I picked up a Gamecube last night, so I probably won't play the GBA for a while.

-CM-
Old 01-05-03, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My GBA easily beats out my Xbox, PS2 and GameCube for love. The little guy is just great and I get absorbed into its games more often than the others (although those have great games to).
Old 01-06-03, 12:11 AM
Mod Emeritus

Does it bug anyone else they sell the games in those horrible cardboard boxes? Those things suck for storage and also shipping. A nice mini sized DVD case would be perfect. For the price of the games, I don't think it's asking too much.
Old 01-06-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

After Christmas, I went out and splurged on a brand new Black GBA. I actually had second thoughts about it, and even tried to return it after I purchased it, but because the box was already open, they wouldn't allow it. Lucky me. I bought Castlevania: COTM and started playing around with it. The GBA is my new favorite video game system. Its the best thing since the SNES. I can't say enough good things about it, but do yourself a favor and get one if you haven't yet. Its definately worth it.
I agree. However, the bad thing about the GBA, which everyone already knows, is the damn lighting issue. As far as battery consumptions goes, I use a NiMH battery pack that was part of the GBA gamer pack (from Pelican), as well as 4 additonal rechargable NiMH AA batteries. By rotating the 3 sets of batteries, I don't have to rely on AC adaptors or alkaline batteries.

I also picked up a GBA this holiday season. BTW, Circle of the Moon and Namco Museum were great bargain games to start out with for the GBA. I'm about 94% done with Castlevania, with only the Battle Arena and Dracula left to tackle; it sure was a damn addictive game.

My next GBA game to be played will either be Metroid Fusion or Link to the Past (got both). Only problem is, I still can't decide which to play first after COTM.

PAL
Old 01-06-03, 11:14 AM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~

...My next GBA game to be played will either be Metroid Fusion or Link to the Past (got both). Only problem is, I still can't decide which to play first ...

PAL
Me too, I bought those same games and have the same dilema.
any suggestions fellow gamers?
Old 01-06-03, 11:29 AM

Well, Metroid Fusion kicks ass, but I haven't played the Zelda game. I think I will pick it up in a couple of weeks. Right now my GC is keeping me busy... when I have power anyway.

-CM-
Old 01-06-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Metroid Fusion rocks ... haven't played Zelda.

Also, don't forget we should be seeing the attachment to the cube to play Gameboy Advance games mid this year (I thought I read it was scheduled for an April release in Japan, maybe May or so here in the US?)

I was thinking of buying the GC to GBA link cable so I could hook up Prime to Fusion ... Does anyone know if this GameCube/Gameboy player (as they called it here http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/accessories.jsp) will eliminate the need for the cable... so I could get the extras in Fusion and Prime without needing the cable. I only ask as that's probably the only use I would ever have for the cable.

As I understand it the GameCube/Gameboy player is supposed to retail for about $40
Old 01-06-03, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Steelers Fan
Do you own a PS2 ?
Good sir, the GBA is YEARS beyond the PS2.
Old 01-06-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

I thought maybe its because I feel as though the videogame makers have stopped making games for the gamer, and started making them for the mainstream.
Truer words have not been spoken for ages. (at least not by somebody other than me hehehe)..

Do not dismiss the older GBC games. Zelda Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons, these are what we like to call "Perfect Games"..

As far as Metroid is concerned, this is coming from a hardcore Metroid fan, whose favorite game of all-time is Super Metroid.. Metroid Fusion is pretty damn sad. Yeah it's a great game compared to the masses, but in the Metroid universe it fails. It's LINEAR. LINEAR I TELL YOU. Might as well have called it "Super Mario Bros with armor and gun and annoying computer!".. bah. Get it, it's fun. But don't expect anything near Super Metroid.

If you know anybody with a GBA, I INSIST that you buy Zelda Four Swords and make them get it too. That is pure old-skool multi-player chaotic bliss.
Old 01-06-03, 02:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Originally posted by pixyboi
As far as Metroid is concerned, this is coming from a hardcore Metroid fan, whose favorite game of all-time is Super Metroid.. Metroid Fusion is pretty damn sad. Yeah it's a great game compared to the masses, but in the Metroid universe it fails. It's LINEAR. LINEAR I TELL YOU. Might as well have called it "Super Mario Bros with armor and gun and annoying computer!".. bah. Get it, it's fun. But don't expect anything near Super Metroid.
Couldn't the original Metroid be called the same? SMB with armor and guns? It was still a great game. Basically I just see Fusion as an original Metroid with better graphics. It is still a fun game to play. Of course I have never played Super Metroid, so I don't have the comparison that you have. How do you rate Metroid Prime within the Metroid Universe. I think it is prety good as well, but nothing like good 'ol classic Metroid.

-CM-
Old 01-06-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by sniper308
Metroid Fusion rocks ... haven't played Zelda.

Also, don't forget we should be seeing the attachment to the cube to play Gameboy Advance games mid this year (I thought I read it was scheduled for an April release in Japan, maybe May or so here in the US?)

I was thinking of buying the GC to GBA link cable so I could hook up Prime to Fusion ... Does anyone know if this GameCube/Gameboy player (as they called it here http://www.nintendo.com/systems/gcn/accessories.jsp) will eliminate the need for the cable... so I could get the extras in Fusion and Prime without needing the cable. I only ask as that's probably the only use I would ever have for the cable.
From what I understand, that won't work. When the Game Boy Player is being used, some type of boot disc would be used in the Gamecube. Thus, you wouldn't be able to run Metroid Prime and Metroid Fusion at the same time, unless you were able to hot swap it or something. The cable is only about $10. If that's not worth it than just try to borrow somebody's or buy the cable and return it when you're done.
Old 01-06-03, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Originally posted by C-Mart
Couldn't the original Metroid be called the same? SMB with armor and guns? It was still a great game. Basically I just see Fusion as an original Metroid with better graphics. It is still a fun game to play. Of course I have never played Super Metroid, so I don't have the comparison that you have. How do you rate Metroid Prime within the Metroid Universe. I think it is prety good as well, but nothing like good 'ol classic Metroid.

-CM-
Well not exactly. See in Orignial Metroid you really could go anywhere you wanted in your own order. You could kill Ridley before Kraid even. The only thing was that Tourian and Mother Brain were last. In Super Metroid, you had to do most of the main tasks in order, but everything else was pretty free reign. And if you know how to really work Samus you could get many items WAAAY before they're meant to be gotten. You can get the wave beam very early in the game which opens up ALL kinds of doors. And once you have the ice beam, there's a very elusive power bomb that can be had which is also eons before you're meant to have them. In Fusion, you can't do anything out of the line of plan. And it also insults you by telling you to do the minimal tasks in the game. Like you couldn't figure it out, the levels are all connected to the first level, really poor design. So far Prime kicks ass. I was so expecting it to suck, but so far it's much more of a Metroid game than Fusion is.
Old 01-06-03, 03:17 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The Official I Love My New GBA Thread

Originally posted by pixyboi
Well not exactly. See in Orignial Metroid you really could go anywhere you wanted in your own order. You could kill Ridley before Kraid even. The only thing was that Tourian and Mother Brain were last. In Super Metroid, you had to do most of the main tasks in order, but everything else was pretty free reign. And if you know how to really work Samus you could get many items WAAAY before they're meant to be gotten. You can get the wave beam very early in the game which opens up ALL kinds of doors. And once you have the ice beam, there's a very elusive power bomb that can be had which is also eons before you're meant to have them. In Fusion, you can't do anything out of the line of plan. And it also insults you by telling you to do the minimal tasks in the game. Like you couldn't figure it out, the levels are all connected to the first level, really poor design. So far Prime kicks ass. I was so expecting it to suck, but so far it's much more of a Metroid game than Fusion is.
Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't realized that Fusion was so restrictive as of yet. Of course looking back (I am only on the part with the electrified water as of yet) I realize that doors keep blocking themselves off so you can't go back until you get something. It is still enjoyable.

I just started Prime, and I think it is a great game as well, but one thing kind of bugs me. At the end of the first level you lose all of your special weapons and abilities, but in the next level you get them all back! I kind of thought it would take a while to get each item. Oh well, I guess there are a lot of upgrades to gather throughout the game. One thing that I don't like a lot is the idea that you have to scan everything. Sometimes I feel that if I don't scan every area in a room that I am missing something. I guess it is just a little bit annoying to have to switch over to that scanner every time I enter a room.

-CM-
Old 01-06-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought one of these before the holidays and I'm sorry to say but the screen is horrible! I really don't understand how anyone plays this thing unless you're on the plane where the lighting is somehow perfect. I know you can get an afterburner or some other lighting solution but I fail to see how this horrible screen made it past Nintendo's own hardware testers. Zelda was pretty fun, but my hands started to hurt from the ridiculous angles I had to hold the GBA at just to be able to play the damn game.
Old 01-06-03, 05:00 PM
Retired

I love my GBA as well.

2D gaming rules.

Castlevania: COTM and HoD are 2 of the best games ever. Metroid Fusion is great as well, though I just started it.

Plus you can't beat all the ports from the best system ever, the SNES.
Old 01-06-03, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Mine with the afterburner installed is one of the greatest things ever. I have most of the games, but generally keep coming back to Phantasy Star and Yoshi's Island. But Zelda will start here soon.

Great game system, but before I had the afterburner in, I wouldn't bother playing it...especially an action game.
Old 01-06-03, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by outer-edge
My GBA easily beats out my Xbox, PS2 and GameCube for love. The little guy is just great and I get absorbed into its games more often than the others (although those have great games to).

I think some may be getting a wee bit carried away here. It's just a little hand-held system folks. 10 minutes here, 20 minutes there is about it......

Last edited by JaxComet; 01-06-03 at 07:05 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.