DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : DVDs wont playback correctly

Frankie Weindel
01-02-03, 06:16 PM
I have had a few problems with my DVD-ROM lately. I think its my DVD-ROM because I have these problems on any DVD software.

I got the Back To the Future Trilogy recently and when I went to certain menus the DVD Program would freeze (with the music still playing) and it would be really hard to select an option, but everything did work.

But recently any Menu Selection art does not load when I move the mouse over an option, and I subtitles no longer show up.

I have tried the same DVDs PowerDVD, ATI DVD Player, and Windows Media Player. I also tried loading up the same DVDs on my Windows 98 OS, but it still had the same problems.

Does anyone know what is wrong and how to fix it? Thanks in advance.

zuffy
01-02-03, 09:49 PM
May be you have dust on the laser beam. Get a dust blower and shoot inside of the DVD-ROM drive. Try not to shoot too hard or you might knock something loose inside.

Frankie Weindel
01-02-03, 10:02 PM
everything works fine except for the Menus and Subtitles. I can still watch. It seems its just the overvideo graphics. I dont see how dust can just mess up that one thing.

Ranger
01-02-03, 10:07 PM
Try reinstalling all the DVD software and just use your favorite one. Also, try reinstall the video and sound card drivers. What model is the DVD drive? How old is it? I think that dust could be a problem. Instead of a dust blower, I'd use a can of compressed air or a CD?DVD cleaner kit.

Frankie Weindel
01-02-03, 10:09 PM
its a SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616.

It came with my dell computer two years ago.

Frankie Weindel
01-02-03, 10:38 PM
I tried reinstalling the driver and the Dvd program... it didnt work. Can someone explain to me how dust could cause this problem?

Ranger
01-02-03, 10:46 PM
Well, dust could easily distort the lens. It happens. Try this: unplug both the IDE & Power cable and start up, then shut down and plug them back in, and start up again, this would reinstall the DVD drive driver. Could help. If all else fails, if this happens with all other DVDs, maybe its time for a new drive. Does it play music & data cds fine?

zuffy
01-02-03, 10:58 PM
If the DVD-ROM is 2 years old, I wouldn't be surprise if the laser is a little misalign or damaged from dust.

Frankie Weindel
01-02-03, 11:09 PM
yes, data CDs work fine.