Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Hopefully, this is the beginning of the end for The Vines...

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 01-01-03, 12:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Vines sent home...

Not only do I hate Craig Nicholls, but I also dislike the rest of the band and their music. Maybe this internal trouble will cause them to break up.
Old 01-01-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

good riddance. I hate that band. I bought the cd because of all the hype, along with all the other recent garage esque bands and they by far are the worste. I can't stand the lead singer either and his attitude about himself and music. Ranting eheh...
Old 01-01-03, 06:19 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

All I know about the Vines is that I would MUCH rather have music like this flooding the airwaves/MTV than just about anything else I've heard this year.
Old 01-01-03, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

One can only hope! They really do suck and the fact that some of the media are calling them the "best of the garage bands" and comparing them to Nirvana is a joke. Even though I like the Strokes, the garage band hype is way out of hand IMO.
Old 01-01-03, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Only if the White Stripes are right behind them.
Old 01-01-03, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GOOD
Old 01-01-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Originally posted by atlantamoi
All I know about the Vines is that I would MUCH rather have music like this flooding the airwaves/MTV than just about anything else I've heard this year.
Very true.

And it speaks volumes about the wretched state of the music industry.
Old 01-01-03, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Da Thrilla
GOOD
umm, you haven't even listened to them...

I LOVE THE VINES.... THERE I SAID IT!
Old 01-02-03, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SnoopDogg
umm, you haven't even listened to them...
Yes I have. They just don't interest me...
Old 01-02-03, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There is no doubt that the "THE" bands are hyped quite a bit. I was listening to the Hives the other day and was thinking that I've heard some bands very similar that didn't even get name recognition outside of this city (Atlanta). I don't know why certain bands become media darlings. I'm almost never interested in music because of it's popularity. It doesn't bother me when a good band becomes popular, though.

The state of radio and music television is just so desperately awful today. I mean just so totally and thoroughly disgustingly BAD that when a band comes out and is just different from what else is going on it's really great. The "THE" bands, IMO, put some kick and FUN back into the main point of rock-n-roll. Are there better bands?... sure. But I have absolutely no problem with these guys getting a lot of press. More power to 'em.

I find it funny that Sum 41 creates a video making fun of the Strokes and these other bands. While there might not be a lot of originality in most bands these days, I find nothing sillier than a 3rd rate Green Day making fun of other bands. That is just beyond reason. What's more bizarre is that Sum 41's music isn't even that far removed from what the "THE" bands sound like.
Old 01-02-03, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

THE VINES hit song sounded to me like a STONE TEMPLE PILOTS song. But then again STP songs sound like PEARL JAM or LED ZEPPLIN songs... it's a vicious circle.
Old 01-02-03, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Strokes are the only band of the type that I enjoy. I also don't like the Vines or the guys in the band. I've heard them in interviews and they sound like morons.
Old 01-02-03, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
I love The White Stripes and the Strokes, but the Vines are just stoner Nirvana rip-offs. There's really no similarity at all between those three bands besides them all being lumped in the "garage" wave, IMHO. Anyway, I finally caught one of the Vines videos on MTV2 recently and couldn't believe how BAD it was. The lead singer needs to be punched in the face repeatedly again and again.
Old 01-02-03, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
The Sums
Old 01-03-03, 02:22 AM

I bet the majority of these bands have just wanted to make music, but a cool video or different look have made them popular as hell. Now the studios are trying to make as much money off of them as possible, while the mass culture buys the album because it's "in". Then once people get tired of all the overplayed hits, all the good bands crunched into this "garage" persona will be snubbed off, and sales will go down. Then, when I tell people about the new White Stripes album, they'll act like the band's a sell-out.
Old 01-03-03, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Actually - have people listened to the whole Vines album?

Only the single could really be classified as "Nirvana-esque." Much of the rest of the album rips through various Brit-pop stylings of recent years (yes, I know they're from Australia - but nevertheless . . .).

Out of the "THE" bands, I've probably played The Vines album more than any other. I especially love the languid, wispy "Mary Jane" song.
Old 01-03-03, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Fightin' each other onstage...that's Oasis' job!
Old 01-03-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by grunter
Actually - have people listened to the whole Vines album?

Whole album? No.. but I've heard more than one song. They play like 4-5 of them on my local radio station.