Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Am I the only person on earth who thinks Dave Matthews Band is boring?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-28-02, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to disrespect those who like the guy's music, or anything, but I've *tried* to like this band. I wound up with a couple of CDs, quite by accident and listened to them a few times. I even went to see them live (I won free tickets). But I just feel they are the best cure for insomnia I've ever encountered. I would have fallen asleep during the concert but my husband nudged me and we left early.

So tell me truthfully. Am I the only person on Earth who thinks the Dave Matthews Band is utterly dull? Go on, I can take the truth.
Old 12-28-02, 01:58 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont like them one bit, but I would never knock them as a band or anyone who happens to like them.
Old 12-28-02, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

You are most definitely not alone. Not only is the music boring, but Dave's vocals make me want to vomit.
Old 12-28-02, 05:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree. They seem like a great band but the music does not interest me at all.
Old 12-28-02, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I cannot tell you my honest opinion because I don't want to anger those who like him.
Old 12-28-02, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,856 Likes on 1,227 Posts
I'm not a girl and I'm not in a frat, so I'm not allowed to like him.
Old 12-28-02, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never even heard them and I hate 'em. It's the image, and the fanaticism. It's like why I hated Rush in high school... very talented guys for sure, but in order to like them, it was mandatory that you smoked large amounts of pot and ceaselessy proselytize how great, how awesome, how God sent they are.

But then, maybe I'm just jealous.
Old 12-28-02, 09:03 AM

IMHO, they are very good musicians. I have "Under the Table and Dreaming" and think it was a good album, but I haven't bought anything else by them. Now, I hate his voice and I think their lyrics are pretty lame.

So you are definately not alone.
Old 12-28-02, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts
They bore the living **** out of me.
Old 12-28-02, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It is a time for frat boys to rejoice because now there are Dave Matthews clones (i.e. John Mayer) popping up Seriously though I just don't get it.
Old 12-28-02, 10:23 AM

I also think he sucks. I really hate the song "Crash" in particular.

John Mayer is even worse.
Old 12-28-02, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't think he sucks, but I also don't own anything besides "Under the Table and Dreaming." I'm not really sure how anyone could classify John Mayer as a Dave Matthews Band clone? I do own the Mayer cd (along with Jack Johnson, Jason Mraz, and Howie Day) all of those bands are far from being a DMB sort of sound. Perhaps you're confused on what they sound like?
Old 12-28-02, 11:36 AM
Banned

Yes, you are the only person on earth who thinks Dave Matthews Band is boring.
Old 12-28-02, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
I have the first three albums and got to see DMB live back in '94 in my frat boy days. I liked the music for a while, but the whole lockjawed-dope mumbling vocal schtick has gotten old for me. Obviously, may people love DMB, and I wish them well. IMO, that band has gotten repetitious and old.
Old 12-28-02, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Mutley Hyde
I've never even heard them and I hate 'em. It's the image, and the fanaticism. It's like why I hated Rush in high school... very talented guys for sure, but in order to like them, it was mandatory that you smoked large amounts of pot and ceaselessy proselytize how great, how awesome, how God sent they are.

But then, maybe I'm just jealous.
It is funny how a person, or a group of people can cause someone to dislike a band. I can not stand Phish, or the Grateful Dead, because an old girlfriend played them constantly and would declare that band God. I think I also hated them because she would rag on Pink Floyd if I played one song in the car by them. I swear my whole family could have died in a car wreck, and if I played Floyd to ease the pain, she would have piped up to tell me how much they suck. Yet she would always play the Dead.

With Phish she would play nothing but that band for I think a solid year in her car, drove me nuts.

Also a friend of mine caused me to nearly ditch all Metallica. He lived Metallica, would call me up on the phone while playing Metallica on his guitar, talking about...Metallica.

I mean good Christ I love Rush but they are not my life, love the band, but there is other music out there, and I try not to pump it down anyones neck, if they don't like it, I will turn it off.
Old 12-28-02, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's good to know I'm not alone. I really *did* try to like them. Honestly, I did. I will usually give just about any music a decent chance if people recommend them to me, but I just couldn't figure out the appeal of the Dave Matthews Band. Maybe it's just a band that grows on you? I have no idea. I don't dislike the band because of the fans. Heck, bands deserve to have rabid fans (like the Dead and Rush, et al), but sometimes I just don't understand why they do.

By the way, I had no idea DMB had any kind of image or fanaticism. I just figured they got played incessantly on the radio whether people like them or not. Just like most other songs that get overplayed.
Old 12-28-02, 12:51 PM

Originally posted by mllefoo
It's good to know I'm not alone. I really *did* try to like them. Honestly, I did. I will usually give just about any music a decent chance if people recommend them to me, but I just couldn't figure out the appeal of the Dave Matthews Band. Maybe it's just a band that grows on you? I have no idea. I don't dislike the band because of the fans. Heck, bands deserve to have rabid fans (like the Dead and Rush, et al), but sometimes I just don't understand why they do.

By the way, I had no idea DMB had any kind of image or fanaticism. I just figured they got played incessantly on the radio whether people like them or not. Just like most other songs that get overplayed.
Just out of curiosity what albums did you listen to. And I will say that most of the DMB singles are some of their worst songs in my opinion. I'm a fan, and I usually don't like the singles that much.
Old 12-28-02, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sebastianv50
Just out of curiosity what albums did you listen to. And I will say that most of the DMB singles are some of their worst songs in my opinion. I'm a fan, and I usually don't like the singles that much.
I dunno. Crash, and the one before it. The music all kind of sounded the same. And I did see them in concert. Same deal. Nearly fell asleep if not for the hubby nudging me so we could leave.
Old 12-28-02, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mllefoo
I dunno. Crash, and the one before it. The music all kind of sounded the same. And I did see them in concert. Same deal. Nearly fell asleep if not for the hubby nudging me so we could leave.
Interesting, musically speaking it is actually fairly complex. They clearly have taken some music theory courses and understand it well. I tend to find music that relies on playing three chords the same trite ways much more boring and the same sounding. Blink 182, Good Charlotte, and music like that is what I find boring.

I don't really enjoy DMB but I certainly wouldn't classify it as boring musically. His vocals aren't the best in the world, the lyrics are better than average, but musically it's often very complex.
Old 12-28-02, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DMB is one of the few where I don't think the music is greater than the sum of its parts. Each band member is a talented and competent musician in his own right with Dave even being a pretty good songwriter. There are a handful of songs which I enjoy, just never enough to actually put on one of their albums.

Alyoshka's right. They do manage a lot of technically interesting material (relative to pop) with clever chord voicings, "difficult" melodies, but when they start jamming I just can't take it. The song invariably turns into riffy, unfocused nonsense.
Old 12-28-02, 04:16 PM

I hated the song "Too Much" (I eat too much, I drink to much...etc)

I hate "so much to say" (repeat forever - not that he has much to say; just has those 4 words to say over and over)

And the worst: "I did it..."

Ugh.
Old 12-28-02, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, they don't interest me a whole lot either.
Old 12-28-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think they are OK at best.
Old 12-28-02, 09:32 PM
Retired

Of course your not alone.

I love them, but different strokes for different folks.

Music is entirely subjective, one person's favorite band or song, will be another's most hated.
Old 12-28-02, 10:21 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Of course your not alone.

I love them, but different strokes for different folks.

Music is entirely subjective, one person's favorite band or song, will be another's most hated.
That's exactly the way I feel. I love them, but I'm sure a lot of other people don't.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.