Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Anybody have an RCA Scenium HDTV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-02, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a search and came up with a few hits--the majority of the comments given pretty much relayed the opinion that RCA products are crap. One gentleman posted in 11/02 stated he worked at a store that had two Sceniums returned, and even worse, the floor units were failing as well.

Honestly, I have only had one RCA product in the past, a 19" tube TV many years ago, which served me quite well. After about four years, I remember selling it to a buddy who used it as his main tv for a few years after that. To me, a tv should last close to ten years; if you are able to squeeze more, consider your investment a good one.

Here's my dilemna: I was in Circuit City a few days ago, and ran across the RCA Scenium 52" 16:9 HDTV w/built-in DVD player (the built-in DVD player is not a consideration at all in my buying decision).... Let me tell you this, (if you havn't already seen it in person) THE PICTURE QUALITY IS UNBELIEVABLE. The other brands didn't even compare. The DVD demo disc they had playing on all TVs in the store made the Scenium HDTVs look sooooo good. I couldn't believe I was actually hooked on the RCA product...

I currently own a 35" Sony Trinitron "flatscreen" Vseries tube, which I've had for about seven years now. When I bought it new back in '96, I paid $1500 for it. It has never given me any problems at all, and the picture is still great.

However, after seeing the 52" Scenium, I am ready to shoot my wad and spend the $2200 on the RCA.

I realize the Scenium line just came out, but does anybody have any real-life, in-home experience with any Scenium product? If so:

1) How long have you had it?
2) Do you regret making the purchase?
3) Any problems?

Sorry for the rant, folks. Thanks for ANY and ALL responses!
Old 12-27-02, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Anybody have an RCA Scenium HDTV?

Originally posted by Concorde
Here's my dilemna: I was in Circuit City a few days ago, and ran across the RCA Scenium 52" 16:9 HDTV w/built-in DVD player (the built-in DVD player is not a consideration at all in my buying decision).... Let me tell you this, (if you havn't already seen it in person) THE PICTURE QUALITY IS UNBELIEVABLE. The other brands didn't even compare. The DVD demo disc they had playing on all TVs in the store made the Scenium HDTVs look sooooo good. I couldn't believe I was actually hooked on the RCA product...

I don't have a Scenium (or any other RCA products for that matter, I bought an RCA TV a few years ago and it died within 2 weeks ) but you have to consider the sources on the other TVs. If your Circuit City is anything like mine they don't have any of their sets hooked up with component cables - and don't even think about a progressive scan DVD player. The RCA is, I assume, a progressive DVD player and the fact that it's built in would lead me to believe that it's using the best possible connection. If you look at pretty much any HD set playing a DVD connected with the best possible connection on a progressive player it will look better than almost any other one connected via s-video on an interlaced player.
Old 12-27-02, 11:21 AM

If you havent' already found it,

check out the rca forum at hometheaterspot.com
Here the link

you might find your answers there.
Old 12-27-02, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by Darthkim
If you havent' already found it,

check out the rca forum at hometheaterspot.com
Here the link

you might find your answers there.
Thanks for the responses, I really appreciate it. Darthkim, thanks for the link...I never knew it existed!
Old 12-27-02, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 46 Likes on 28 Posts
I have two Proscans Tv's and have had good luck with both.