Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What's the pros and cons over a DVD and VCR combo?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-02, 10:42 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My older brother got a DVD and VCR combo for his family as a gift(no I did not buy it) this holiday season. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about these DVD players and VCR combos?
Old 12-26-02, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: What's the pros and cons over a DVD and VCR combo?

Originally posted by Aaron Amos
My older brother got a DVD and VCR combo for his family as a gift(no I did not buy it) this holiday season. Can anyone tell me the pros and cons about these DVD players and VCR combos?
Typically you will have better overall quality from seperate units. Usually when you get a combo unit, they cut corners somewhere. I would stick with seperates.

-pedagogue
Old 12-26-02, 11:50 PM

I own a Panasonic DVD/VCR combo, and I like the combo because it fits better in my entertainment center than two separate devices. Most people feel that the cons are price (buying separates can be cheaper in most instances) and that if one part of the combo breaks you're without both while it's being worked on. Neither con bothered me because I got a good deal on mine plus I have other players to substitute in the possibility of mine being serviced.
Old 12-27-02, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For some solid advice and good pro/con arguments, go here:

http://www.greengart.com/Columns/column026.htm
Old 12-27-02, 05:58 PM

For the most part, the article mentioned by Joshic is good. However, it's a little dated. It states that there is no combo that has a progressive DVD. Well, my Panasonic does, and it has been out for quite awhile. Just like everything else, things are improved over time. Even though I have a combo, I would suggest getting separates if you have the room. My situation made a combo better, but there was no way I was going to sacrifice quality - and I don't think I did with my Panasonic.
Old 01-03-03, 04:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Separates are almost always better than combo units. You can get better quality for the same price and not have to worry about the unit being out of operation while being repaired when one part of it breaks down. I even saw on the news last year that Consumer Reports was recommending people not buy combo units, but separate components.

The only advantage to these units is they conserve space. However, many people also mistakenly believe they will be able to copy DVDs to tapes, which is not the case due to the joys of macrovision.
Old 01-03-03, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
in at least some cases you'll be able to connect it to a tv that only has a coax input and be able to use the vcr and dvd player without the need for an RF modulator