Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

INteresting KISS interview...plus New Paul S. Guitar ad pic

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 12-24-02, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

From blabbermouth.net

Sometimes Paul, Gene, and "the rest" are so full of S#it it's funny. Talk talk talk, Bs Bs Bs, blah blah balh, lie lie lie!!! So now they're "unretired"

But don't get me wrong...I still luv 'em. Like like an abusive relationship....I just can't leave 'em.

KISS 2003: There Are Five Sides To Every Story - Dec. 23, 2002

"New Old style Costume guitar ad"

KISS fans got a special treat over the weekend when several current and former members of the group appeared live on the "Merry KISSmass Special" hosted by WNEW radio personality Eddie Trunk.

Paul Stanley, Peter Criss, Ace Frehley, Bruce Kulick and Eric Singer were all interviewed during the Dec. 21 show, which included several revelations about the group's present status and upcoming activities.

The following are the highlights of each interview as compiled by Trunk via his official web site (www.eddietrunk.com):

"Paul: Paul simply stated that KISS is now unretired. He's not sure what the future will bring, and rules nothing out. He said as much as everybody would like the original lineup, he's going to move forward with people that want to play and have fun. He also mentioned the old style costume he wears in the new guitar ad, is a direction the band will take for their next tour, etc. He said the band has made every attempt to get Ace back in and make a deal. As to why replacement members don't get their own makeup design, he claims that the mass audience that comes to KISS shows just wants the KISS experience, and in some cases don't even know every band member's name. It's about putting on what people expect a KISS show to be. Paul stated the only confirmed dates at this point are Australia and Japan."

"Peter: Peter was in our studio for about an hour. He took many calls, we joked around, and he said it was one of his best ever birthdays. Peter was just thrilled to be healthy and working with the band. He to wishes Ace were in, but will play with who is there. He holds no ill will toward Eric Singer, but claims 'there's only one Catman.' He appeared not to be a fan of 'Psycho Circus', which was the source of many questions, and kind of dodged inquiries as to weather he plays drums on it, he simply said he does appear on the record. Knowing Ace was listening, he wished him well over the air. Peter was very humble, and in great spirits. For being 57 he looked to be very healthy and said his physical ailments are over. He also was unaware of some of the KISS items that have been released, but chalked it up to Gene & Paul running the show. We really had fun, and Peter was a blast and so cool to everybody. Just very grateful about everything."

"Ace: Ace was suffering from bronchitis all week, and was a last-minute addition to the show. He was listening at home to both Paul & Peter. He wished Peter well over the air, and said he took notes during Paul's interview. He then proceeded to correct many of the statements Paul made, claiming Paul tends to leave big parts of the story out. In a nutshell, Ace hates the merchandising of the band and is sickened by things like a KISS coffin. He claims the band owes him money, and also claims he is kept completely out of the loop. Simply, he is not a member of the band and has no contract. He also claims that he was contacted about a tour, but only once, and was not 'wooed,' as Paul put it. That contact had nothing to do with Australia or Japan, and was about US dates. He claims to learn more about what KISS are doing through talking to me, or seeing it on TV. He said he was never told about an Australian show until AFTER the press conference to announce it, then he had a phone message from Gene saying they were doing it with or without him, if he was interested to have his lawyer call. Ace just feels this is not the way a band should operate, and is happy working on his own album. He did not rule out ever working with KISS again, but said it would take a lot of communication and changing of policy. Ace then asked to talk about positive things, and joked around as he always does with us."

"Bruce: He's working on a new solo CD and has had very little contact with KISS. He said he would have to think very much if asked to play the role of Ace in KISS, He said he has a tremendous amount of respect for the original lineup. Bruce proposed a tour of the non-makeup 'Revenge'-era KISS, stating that many grew up with that version of the band.

"Eric: Clearly unhappy not to be in the band again, Eric has some other stuff going and will continue to work with ALICE COOPER. For him, it was a great highlight to play with Ace on the last tour, something he always wanted to do. He was up in the air if he would ever work with KISS again, and was told with a phone call he was out."

Last edited by Giantrobo; 12-24-02 at 06:00 PM.
Old 12-25-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts
Re: INteresting KISS interview...plus New Paul S. Guitar ad pic

Originally posted by Giantrobo

Bruce proposed a tour of the non-makeup 'Revenge'-era KISS, stating that many grew up with that version of the band.

I would enjoy this immensely. My first KISS tape was Lick It Up. The reunion tour was a cool thing to do, but they need to stop living in the past.

I agree with Ace about the marketing overload. How many 12 inch high figures of Gene Simmons do the fans need?
Old 12-25-02, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Actually, IMHO the action figures are the ONLY thing KISS should be marketing. They work well and there's many different "KISS COSTUMES" that fans would like to have.

It's the Kiss Kondoms, KISS Koffins, KISS TONGUE SCRAPERS*, and KISS TAMPONS* that make people hate KISS.

*I made that up
Old 12-25-02, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts
Ahhh, you've gotta love Gene, the money whore that he is.

Someone should slap him upside his fat head.

The funny thing is, Bruce's suggestion of a Revenge reunion is a great idea. The band was all about music at that point, and Gene was as down to earth as he's ever been.

Eric Singer is a phenomenal drummer, and Bruce Kulick is a great guitarist. That line-up was magic!

Ace has the right attitude about band business and musical direction, but his lack of work ethic makes him a liability. Peter can't play as well as me - and I haven't played drums in over a decade!

They've got more than enough money to be able to record and tour with the Revenge line-up, regardless of album or ticket sales. Paul & Gene are now set for life, so they can afford to do stuff just for themselves. The fact that Gene keeps pushing them in the direction of whoring themselves out for money is kind of sad.

I do like the earlier costume design, though. I was actually suggesting that they should do that prior to their announcement of the "Farewell" (yeah, right) Tour. I love those early costumes - great stuff!