Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Zelda: Four Swords is AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Zelda: Four Swords is AWESOME

Wow.. I mean.. wow. This is probably one of the most fun multiplayer Gameboy games I have ever played. It's just brilliant. I thought that it was going to be something small and stupid like the Mario "extra" on the Mario games, but this is a totally new game and a LOT went into it's making. It's really a genius game that forces you to be coropative to advance the levels, but still fighting to get the most rupees!! I really want to try this out with FOUR players!!

Also.. what can one say about Link to the Past? Easily one of the best games ever made. Times like this when I realize just HOW crappy most of the newer games are.. and I realize that I just didn't outgrow them, they really did become retarded!

Anybody else get a chance to try multiplayer Zelda? They should really make a full-out Gamecube version of something like this, I would totally buy a Cube if they did.
Old 12-23-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

On a side note.. Before I played I went to www.lamerfaqs.com to check what differences there were between the GBA and the SNES Link to the Past, and one FAQ I looked at mentioned a bonus dungeon if you beat both games and then "Please send hate mail to Nintendo for the diffucult conditions needed to play Four Swords."

Since when was it diffucult to have a friend?
Old 12-23-02, 10:32 AM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the 4 swords thing like? What are you doing exactly?
Old 12-23-02, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well.. first of all it plays mostly like Link to the Past. Except you can only carry one sub-item. Be it a sheild, boomerang, dash boots, etc..

Now the object is to collect keys to defeat a Wizard who kidnapped Zelda (duh). So anyway, it's 2-4 players. I'll tell you what I know frmo what I've played of 2 player mode (hopefully I'll be getting a 4 player session this weekend). The main objective is to collect the most Rupees. Which is what makes it a competitive game. However, to advnace you are forced to use teamwork. There are rocks that only 2 people can push, or pick up. Sometimes you'll have to throw another player across a gap so he can press a switch to form a bridge across. One player will have to use a magnet to carry another over a chasm to get to a switch, chest, key, etc. You have to clash sword to create sparks to light torches. You have to push buttons or pull levers or even shoot object in unison to open doors etc. When both players have full life, all Rupees gathered are doubled. The one boss we fought, you had to attack the head of the boss that matched your characters color. Then you would both hae to pull it vines to make it's shell comes off, and you have to attack it together to damage it, each player striking the heart that matches the color of thier player. The fun part is trying to get more Rupees than the others. You can push others out of the way or pick them up and throw them when they are going for a chest and open it yourself. You can push them off cliffs or into monsters to kill them (you have to pay a fine of Rupees to be revived.) A Rupee Wraith will hover over a player and continue to steal Rupees and the only way to get rid of it is to finish the level, or touch another player who the wraith will now possess. The levels are randomly generated. At the end of a dungeon, the person with the most Rupees gets a token. After so many tokens, you unlock new things in "Link to the Past".. okay, okay.. more.. in the levels you can find seeds hidden in pots and bushes. There are 3, attack, defense, and speed. You can get 2 of each to power your guy up. There are I think 8 or 9 types of Rupees including black ones which take away from your total. You do not know how many Rupees you have individually until the end of the dungeon, but a total of all players is listed. The faster you clear levels, you get a nice bonus. We got through the training level and the first dungeon last night. My friend who I was playing with has cleared I think 3 dengeons with another friend, and he told me when we played the first level it was totally different (except the boss).

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. Needless to say, THIS is the game a link cable was created for. This game is SO much fun. Seriously, I've been itching all morning at work wanting to play. I got to wait until 8 pm until my friend gets off of work. Though I know this who may come over tonight who has a GBA.. I'm going to convince her to buy Zelda!! We have a 4 player game get together in the works. And the game is different depending on the number of players. Like certain things that need all 4 people to push, etc.. while some are still only 2 people.. so.. ARGH.. too much.. fun..
Old 12-23-02, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Also.. certain ablities you get in "Link to the Past" will carry over to "Four Swrods".. like.. when you get the Master Sword in LttP, your character can shoot beams with full health in 4S. That's the only one I've discovered so far. (Which is fun, cause if the other players has not gotten that far in LttP you have the ability and he doesn't!)
Old 12-23-02, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

is it still 20 bucks at target... if so i want it
Old 12-23-02, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by SpacemanSpiff
is it still 20 bucks at target... if so i want it
I don't think so, but Thursday and beyond Best Buy will have it for $26.99.. worth every penny if ya got a friend who will play it with you. If not, I would still say it's worth it simply because LttP is in itself a wonderful game.

I see I did not mention how GREAT the graphics in Four Swords are. Wow, I wish they would've applied that new style to LttP.. that would've really been sweet. (Or maybe a choice, Original or Extra Cripsy.. too late now though)
Old 12-28-02, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Update: This game rules.

After you beat the final boss, you play through again except this time's it's harder (much harder) and.. when you beat both games you get a bonus dungeon in LttP which is HARD.

Will report back when I find more..

Still not sure what those tokens do if anything.
Old 12-28-02, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

They may not make a new game for the cube, but you could always get a Cube and the GB/GBA played in May and play it on the big screen.

(I know not quite the same thing, just an idea.)

BTW, the game is indeed awesome. Played it last week. (Four swords) LTP is of course awsome too.
Old 12-28-02, 10:13 PM

Quick question:

Is there more than on game save slot? Also, do you need a copy for each GBA to play the multiplayer?

Thanks.
Old 12-29-02, 10:49 PM

I would absolutely agree with one of your first posts pixyboi :

"Times like this when I realize just HOW crappy most of the newer games are.. and I realize that I just didn't outgrow them, they really did become retarded!"

Just because the systems are getting better, doesnt mean the games are doing the same.. Even though there are some excellent games on all the new systems I played a few old school NES, SNES and N64 games and couldn't remember the last time I had so much fun gaming (anyone remember battletoads, river city ransom, and of course super mario kart?)

But put that aside and I've gotta admit its awesome to see just how good the graphics, sound, etc. on a game can get.. i already cant wait for the next systems
Old 12-30-02, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by I.Like.It
Quick question:

Is there more than on game save slot? Also, do you need a copy for each GBA to play the multiplayer?

Thanks.
3 Save Slots, each one has data for both LttP and Four Swords. And yes you do need a copy for each player. The whole "Multi-Player, One Cartridge" thing really just boils down to very small mini-games..
Old 12-30-02, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Convinced one of my lady friends to buy the game, and we had a great 3 player game!! Again, a lot of differences with one more person. Can't wait to try a full 4 player game!!

And spoiler for thsoe that want to figure this stuff out on thier own:

Spoiler:

Okay after you get 10+ tokens, it opens a riddle quest in LttP.. which is just chase down items in your bug net. When you finish that you get a new whilrwind sword technique where you keep spinning around like a madman plaowing through anything that gets in your path.. and you can also you this new tech in Four Swords. Haven't played the bonus dungeon yet, and yet to beat 2nd time through Four Swords, had to take my other friends through the first quest..
Old 12-30-02, 08:12 AM

"So anyway, it's 2-4 players. "

Can you play a 1 player game?
Old 12-30-02, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by josuff247
"So anyway, it's 2-4 players. "

Can you play a 1 player game?
Link to the Past is 1 player only.

Four Swords is 2-4 players only.
Old 12-30-02, 09:05 AM

OH, OK so there is two games on the cartridge?

Is link to the past cool as well?
Old 12-30-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by josuff247
OH, OK so there is two games on the cartridge?

Is link to the past cool as well?
Yup, two games on one cartridge. Link to the Past was one of the most popular SNES games of all time.

Originally posted by pixyboi
Also.. what can one say about Link to the Past? Easily one of the best games ever made. Times like this when I realize just HOW crappy most of the newer games are.. and I realize that I just didn't outgrow them, they really did become retarded!
Old 12-30-02, 10:02 AM

Ha, I can get killed for saying this here,
but the reason I got a gameboy advance
is because I love the older games.
Most of my GBA games are old school packs,
like atari annversry and namco museum.
And thinks like mario cart and fighting games.

I bought metroid and zelda because everyone raves about them, and I used to own zelda for SNES like ten years ago.

thanks pixyboi