Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

My best video game deal ever ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-02, 11:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
My best video game deal ever ?

EB is having a great deal until 12/31, where you can trade in 2 used games and get one of a list of 20 or so hot pre-orders for free. The list includes Zelda, Brute Force, SW Knights of the Old Republic, etc

Blockbuster is having their buy two get one free deal on used games. So I scouted my local BBVs, found one with a good selection of preowned games for good prices, and bought 6 used games for $40 total. I then turned these games into the above 3 games. I had also bought gift cards at BBV last week, getting 10% off in effect, so my grand total for those 3 games is $36.

As always, YMMV, as the selection and prices are random at BBV, and you have to buy more current games, not old titles that are excluded from this EB deal. But even if you only find eligible games at the 19.99 price at EB (I found them at 9.99), you can get 3 of the hot titles of next year for $80.
Old 12-21-02, 11:26 PM

Wow, no props?

Maybe I'm blinded by Christmas buying frenzy, but isn't this a great deal?
Old 12-21-02, 11:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eh, is this a YMMV thing in regard to EB or no? I've found that these trade in deals can definitely be a YMMV. Maybe I'll call my nearest EB and see what they say. Thanks for the heads up though.
Old 12-21-02, 11:36 PM

I don't think its YMMV at EB. The deals are printed on a couple of their latest flyers. So I would imagine they have to honor them. I had no problem with it or the trade-in 3 games for Nightfire or Two Towers deal.

Possibly, they would force you to have the coupons off these flyers, but they have been at all 3 EBs in my area. Also, there is an exclusion list for all of their trade in deals, mainly of the older games and 2002 sports titles.
Old 12-21-02, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Does anyone have this exclusion list handy?
Old 12-21-02, 11:48 PM

I've asked, they won't give it to me. But I've tried to trade in about 25 games and here are the ones that have been excluded:

all 2002 sports titles
GCN Smashing Drive
GCN Resident Evil
PS2 MIB2
Old 12-22-02, 02:29 AM

Curious what games you were able to get for 9.99? I wish my blockbuster sold them that cheap. Sweet deal.
Old 12-22-02, 03:39 AM
Mod Emeritus

Could you list the rest of the preorders?
Old 12-22-02, 11:20 AM

Originally posted by happyday
Curious what games you were able to get for 9.99? I wish my blockbuster sold them that cheap. Sweet deal.
9.99 games I found at various BBVs were PS2 No One Lives Forever, All-Star Baseball 2003 for all 3 systems, Resident Evil, Smashing Drive GCN, Circus Maximus, and MIB2 PS2. Only some of those worked at EB for the pre-order deals.

But you're right, YMMV at BBV. I have been to about 8 local BBVs in the past week and only 2 of them had a good selection of games and cheap prices.
Old 12-22-02, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Could you list the rest of the preorders?
For Xbox: Brute Force, Malice, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Batman Dark Tomoorw, and Star Wars Knights of Old Republic

For GameCube: Zelda and Batman

For PS2: Batman and about 6 others that I can't remember since I don't have a PS2
Old 12-24-02, 12:54 AM

HELP!
I called all four Houston area EB and none of them have any idea about this promotion! Is there somewhere on the website I can show the stores, maybe a flyer scan... I really want to get this deal for zelda.

Also, what is the condition requirements for the trade-ins
Case? Manual? no BBV stickers? etc

Thanks.
Old 12-24-02, 12:57 AM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by mixalot007
HELP!
I called all four Houston area EB and none of them have any idea about this promotion! Is there somewhere on the website I can show the stores, maybe a flyer scan... I really want to get this deal for zelda.

Also, what is the condition requirements for the trade-ins
Case? Manual? no BBV stickers? etc

Thanks.
I still haven't called mine yet, but this is sounding more and more YMMV. Sorry Trevor, but I think we'd hear a lot more about this if it was going on all over the place. Sounds like your EBs are owned by some cool and generous dude.
Old 12-24-02, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

your deal gets even sweeter if you add to your score the 2 bonus disks that come with Zelda pre-order
Old 12-24-02, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Its getting tough to actually get instructions at Blockbuster anymore. Without those EB won't take the game. You also have to get all the blockbuster junk off the case. My local one won't take Blockbuster cases. You have to have it in the original game case. They said they are tired of taking junk from Blockbuster.
Old 12-24-02, 12:37 PM

Originally posted by Trevor
For Xbox: Brute Force, Malice, Panzer Dragoon Orta, Batman Dark Tomoorw, and Star Wars Knights of Old Republic

For GameCube: Zelda and Batman

For PS2: Batman and about 6 others that I can't remember since I don't have a PS2
These are the PS2 games you can get at EB with this trade-in offer:

Devil May Cry 2
The Getaway
Primal
Malice
Batman: Dark Tomorrow
Midnight Club 2
Pride FC
The Sims
Dragonball Z Budokai

I traded in 4 old games a couple of weeks ago, and i preordered Devil May Cry 2 and Panzer Dragoon Orta. Good deal.
Old 12-24-02, 04:36 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
I still haven't called mine yet, but this is sounding more and more YMMV. Sorry Trevor, but I think we'd hear a lot more about this if it was going on all over the place. Sounds like your EBs are owned by some cool and generous dude.
All four of the EBs near me had the flyers, starting around Thanksgiving I think. At least one of the stores still has the flyers, and the coupon does not expire until 12/31/02. Also, the promo is in their computer, if they take the time to look. However, they may force you to show the coupon. And it was a professionally done 4 page flyer, so I'm pretty sure it was a national thing.
Old 12-24-02, 04:41 PM

Originally posted by darkside
Its getting tough to actually get instructions at Blockbuster anymore. Without those EB won't take the game. You also have to get all the blockbuster junk off the case. My local one won't take Blockbuster cases. You have to have it in the original game case. They said they are tired of taking junk from Blockbuster.
I have found that Blockbusters will let you look through there huge box of instructions, if the game you buy is missing them. In fact, I have been able to go to different Blockbusters and snag the missing instructions.

All mine took my BBV games, although one of them said, 'we'll do it this time'.
Old 12-25-02, 12:23 AM

Could somebody post a scan of the ad. When I called they looked in the computer and didn't find the deal. If I could print it out and then bring it in I think that would help.

Thanks.