Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Photo printer question,USB vs. Parallel(speed)

tommy28
12-21-02, 11:32 AM
In printing photos 8x11 im way over the recomended time of 2.00 min per photo,

my hook-up is Parallel(IEEE 1284) and slow,

would USB 1.1 print-um faster??

thanks-

tommy

shaun3000
12-21-02, 06:53 PM
I think that parallel is faster for printing purposes.

tommy28
12-21-02, 07:29 PM
thanks Shaun,

ill pick a cable(usb)and test them,

tommy

danw
12-23-02, 08:37 AM
I saw a noticeable speed improvement using USB over Parallel.

However, I doubt the cable/connection is the reason for your photos taking so long to print. Unless you can find some specifics on how the manufacturer printed their test, I'd bet they did it a a low resolution with the "high speed" option checked.

If memory serves, my Epson 1270 is supposed to do an 8x10 in about 4 minutes. It takes me about 11 to print one with the high-quality settings.

The Bus
12-23-02, 09:04 AM
USB is much much quicker than Parallel. FireWire, however, is faster.

TheMadMonk
12-23-02, 09:54 AM
But, if the printer is just really slow to print, that might be where the bottleneck is, and any theoretically faster cable type may not make a difference.

Either way, I'd still go with USB, for the hot-swap ability.

tommy28
12-23-02, 12:29 PM
Thanks Guys,

iv done the test and Yes USB blows away Parallel,

Now for the next question:)

do those USB hubs work,iv only got 4 usb ports and 2 are in the front(id rather not use them)

so if i plug a 4 USB hub in the rear i can plug right into that to double my USB`s back there????

thanks-

tommy

tommy28
12-23-02, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by danw
I saw a noticeable speed improvement using USB over Parallel.

However, I doubt the cable/connection is the reason for your photos taking so long to print. Unless you can find some specifics on how the manufacturer printed their test, I'd bet they did it a a low resolution with the "high speed" option checked.

If memory serves, my Epson 1270 is supposed to do an 8x10 in about 4 minutes. It takes me about 11 to print one with the high-quality settings.

thanks,

with the USB at high quility setting im in about 2 min.8x10:)

45 sec.4x6,

tommy

zuffy
12-23-02, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by tommy28
so if i plug a 4 USB hub in the rear i can plug right into that to double my USB`s back there????

yes

wmunn
12-25-02, 04:57 AM
If you are interested in getting a usb hub, there are a few details you might like to know before you go shopping. Beware of un-powered hubs. Some devices wont work properly unless your usb hub is powered on its own. just check the documentation on your current usb devices to see if there are any cautions regarding non-powered hubs. or for peace of mind, just get a powered hub.

D.Pham4GLTE (>60GB)
12-26-02, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by wmunn
If you are interested in getting a usb hub, there are a few details you might like to know before you go shopping. Beware of un-powered hubs. Some devices wont work properly unless your usb hub is powered on its own. just check the documentation on your current usb devices to see if there are any cautions regarding non-powered hubs. or for peace of mind, just get a powered hub.

yeah...powered hubs are the way to go, and they're not really all that much more than non-powered ones. i got one at costco and it works great.