DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : LOTR:TTT Clapping moments-spoilers within

hugo1000faces
12-19-02, 12:22 PM
When I saw The Two Towers the audience clapped three times...

1. When the movie started.

2. When Legolas (the elf) flipped up onto his horse.

3. When the end credits rolled.

And there was quite a bit of laughter throughout the movie.

When did the audience clap when YOU saw it?

chanster
12-19-02, 12:23 PM
Probably belongs in the Two Towers Forum..check at the top.

hugo1000faces
12-19-02, 12:27 PM
Oops. Didn't see the other forum.
(I wondered why there weren't many Two Towers threads)
I trust a moderator will intervene.

Josh H
12-19-02, 02:05 PM
Start of movie.

Gandalf hacking the Balrog up while falling

Gandalf revealing himself to Aragorn, Legalos and Gimli

Legalos flipping onto the horse

The start of the Helms Deep Battle

Legalos riding the shield

When Legolas shot the rope and the ladder fell onto the Urukai

Gimly being tossed (laughter and applause)

Tree beard stomping the orc when he first meets merry and pippin.

The ents stomping and kicking orcs at isengard.

Ent that was on fire putting itself out in the water

Gandalf and Eomer leading the calvary chage.

start of credits

antennaball
12-19-02, 02:08 PM
besides at the end, the only clapping moment at the theater i went to was when Gandalf showed his face to Aragorn, Legolas, and Gimli.

The Bus
12-19-02, 02:20 PM
Legolas on the horse
Ent dousing himself
Gimli being tossed

Dr. DVD
12-19-02, 02:21 PM
Legoals' stunts, both the horse and the shield.

CROM1
12-19-02, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Start of movie.

Gandalf hacking the Balrog up while falling

Gandalf revealing himself to Aragorn, Legalos and Gimli

Legalos flipping onto the horse

The start of the Helms Deep Battle

Legalos riding the shield

Gimly being tossed (laughter and applause)

Tree beard stomping the orc when he first meets merry and pippin.

The ents stomping and kicking orcs at isengard.

Ent that was on fire putting itself out in the water

Gandalf and Eomer leading the calvary chage.

start of credits

All the above plus when Aragorn marches into the halls of Rohan

Kal-El
12-19-02, 03:52 PM
Horse and shield

Ent dousing himself

End credits

Teremei
12-19-02, 04:49 PM
WARNING UNHIDDEN SPOILERS BELOW. I figure if you come in here you KNOW there are spoilers. . . I went at Midnight try to beat this lively audience. Trying to do it Chronilogically. .

When the lights started to dim for the previews. Loud noise.

When the teaser trailer for Pirates of the Carribian listed Orlando Bloom as being in the movie.

When the Movie first started.

When Legolas first appeared on screen

When Gandalf First reappeared

When Gandalf litterly kicked Sauroman's *** and removed the curse of the King

When the King's face began to look younger

When Legolas did his move onto the horse

When Legolas shot the rope and the ladder fell onto the Urukai

When Aragorn Tossed Ghimli into the Urukai and it continued all throughout their fight on the bridge

When the Company of Horses came to the aid at Helm's Deep lead by Gandalf

When the Ents started started to March toward Isengard (is that the place?)

When the Ents started Tearing some **** up!

End credits.

I've probably missed about 4 or 5 locations. And there were even more laughing moments. Too many to remember.

Ghimli having a hard time keeping up tracking the Urukai

Ghimli saying you could have found a better spot

When Gandalf said you wouldn't keep an old man from his walking stick

When Gandalf winked at Aragorn right after that part

When Smeagol first started breaking down talking to Gollum. Followed by more laughter then seriousness.

All in all it was a FABULOUS mighnight crowd. Lots of young fans. But they only made noise when something funny or cool was happening. Took about 2 minutes for them to quite down after the opening credits started though.

JM
12-19-02, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by hugo1000faces
When did the audience clap when YOU saw it?

Never.

RoboDad
12-19-02, 06:24 PM
A couple more that have been missed:

When Eomer and company attacked the orc band

When Treebeard stepped on the orc who was chasing Merry and Pippin.

When Treebeard announced "The Ents are marching to war!"

evenflow
12-19-02, 09:44 PM
I actually find it lame when the audience claps. I don't know, I think it's just stupid. Thankfully, the audience didn't clap during the showing I went to.

Josh H
12-19-02, 09:54 PM
I think it's dumb too, I never clap. It's not like Legalos can here you applauding his horse-mounting maneuver. And chances are no one that was involved in the making of the film is in the theater with you.

Toad
12-19-02, 10:41 PM
I don't think the only reason people clap is for the benefit of the "recipient"; someone made that comment next to me when the movie started ("Why clap? Jackson can't hear you!") and it irritated me.

People clap when they're excited sometimes, too -- let's not forget that. ;)

People in my theater clapped when:
movie started
movie ended

People laughed here and there, especially when the burning Ent dipped into the water and when Gimli said "Toss me...".

fumanstan
12-19-02, 10:45 PM
saw it this morning with only about 1/3 of the theater... no claps. I also dislike clapping during a movie. Seems pointless to me.

Kudama
12-20-02, 04:37 AM
I agree that reacting is great. I always saw clapping as a voluntary acknowledgement to the artist. If they’re not present, laughter is the involuntary acknowledgement.

I got weird looks (from the person sitting next to me) when I laughed at two scenes in particular.

The one, where after Gandalf gets his white horse and they’re riding across the plains in an aerial shot, how you could totally tell that the dwarf on the horse was a mannequin.

And (this was a total laugh of appreciation, as it turned out to be my favorite shot in the whole film) the scene where the tear coursed down Grima’s cheek when he realized the full magnitude of Sauron’s power and malice.

Otherwise the audience I was with clapped for the horse mounting scene and laughed obediently at the comic foible that Gimli became. Also, there was a lot of giggles during the Smeagle/Gollum conflict. This part was putting tears in my eyes. I guess it’s how you see it and not what’s in front of you.

Tyler_Durden
12-20-02, 07:37 PM
I hate it when people clap (or make noises) during a movie. I've always wondered why it's so common in America to be so rowdy while watching a film. Luckily, this almost never happens where I live.

Regardless, if I had to pick one moment where to clap during TTT, it'd be the aforementioned scene with Legolas jumping on the horse.

I guess mostly the audience I saw TTT with was too much in awe to react audibly. There was a lot of laughter at Gimli's, eh, shortcomings (what is with me and bad puns?).

Darknite
12-20-02, 11:05 PM
Well this weren't clapping moments but more like woo hoo moments.

Many of the females in the theater were cheering when Legolas first appeared on screen by yelling at "woo hoo".

But as soon as that was over Gimly appeared right behind Legolas for the first time and the camera was zoomed onto Gimly's face so about half the guys in the theater were doing the "woo hoo's" for Gimly, just like the females were doing for Legolas.

It was very funny.

rocketsauce
12-22-02, 04:59 AM
Not one damn time, thank god. When the credits strated i thought they would but they didnt. I just think its lame.

RevLiver
12-22-02, 02:36 PM
When the movie started.
Legolas mounting the horse generated more of a collective "Whoa" than applause.
Aragorn and Gimli fighting on the bridge.
The charage of Gandalf and the Rohirrim down the mountain.
The Ents destroying Isengard.
The end of the movie.

There was much laughter during Gimli's scenes and the Gollum/Smeagol split personality scenes.

atlantamoi
12-22-02, 03:33 PM
Only at the end... and only a few. The only time I have ever clapped at the end of a movie was for "Crouching Tiger"

chess
12-23-02, 09:16 AM
no clapping here, but i was surprised to see how many people hung around for the credits.

off the cuff, i would say that TTT got more of an emotional response from me personally than FotR...in spite of the fact that it's not nearly as good of a film. it evoked emotion in a Rocky/Armageddon sort of way...beating impossible odds and whatnot.

there were times that i certainly would have clapped if i thought that were an appropriate response in a theater.

come to think of it, i have done it once...the "get away from her you bitch" scene in Aliens. :up: