Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

opening mp3's?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
opening mp3's?

I'm all new to the whole mp3 thing so I don't much understand how it works and not sure I need to if someone can help me with an mp3 file. I've got an entire album as one mp3 (like 80MB) and would like to open it up to name each track individually. That way I can skip tracks if I choose and also see which track is playing (as I name them). So, would anyone happen to know how to go about doing this?
Old 12-18-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
You can't open it up because MP3s don't hold individual tracks inside (albumwrap and .TAR files do but that's beside the point). An MP3 basically takes a .WAV file (very large audio files) and compresses it, in turn lessening the quality of the audio. The higher the bitrate (64kbps to 320kbps) the better the quality (usually).

So, to make a long story short, search on Google for MP3 cutter and use one of those utilities to split it into different files. Then name each individual file. You might want to get a buddy or read the readme/FAQ thoroughly as this isn't necessarily the most straightforward thing in the world.
Old 12-18-02, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
great! thanks BUS!
Old 12-18-02, 04:50 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
If possible, it might be easier just to re-rip the entire album into seperate MP3 files rather than to split up the one big file.
Old 12-18-02, 05:28 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Please note that requests for software advice - even software used for music-related purposes - should now be posted on the Computer Forum.

Benedict
Moderator, Music Talk