Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

New Pics of Home Theater (Revised)

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-02, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

Here is a link to my home theater. Take a look at the pics and let me know what you think.

Any questions or comments are encouraged.

Thanks,

David

(The link is in my signature)
Old 12-18-02, 02:29 PM
razorbackfan

Very nice.
Old 12-18-02, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sweet! what size TV is that? 36?
Old 12-18-02, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks heavywear! It's a 35" Mitsubishi. I just had it ISF serviced. Originally it was up near 9500 degrees, now it's at 6510...which is much better for the set and the eyes. Oh...and my ISF guy took the red push out of it as much as possible too.

It looks so nice now.
Old 12-18-02, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Very Nice.
Old 12-19-02, 09:04 AM

Front Projector

It is very nice... I would seriously look into a front projector, especially since it appears you have control of ambient lighting. I would assume this is a basement location.
Old 12-19-02, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You could go with one of the cheaper Sanyo or Sharp DLP projectors ($2 - $3.5k) or if you have the bones go with a Runco DLP for about $5k (lower end model but a lot nicer than the other budget models).

Keep in mind that if you go front projector you will need to add a screen (another grand or so depending on your choice) plus wiring and other setup issues.
Old 12-19-02, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks jinhopark and cheddarmuff! I would absolutely LOVE a front projection system but that's gonna be a while. Just not in the budget right now.
Old 12-19-02, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Cheddarmuff
You could go with one of the cheaper Sanyo or Sharp DLP projectors ($2 - $3.5k) or if you have the bones go with a Runco DLP for about $5k (lower end model but a lot nicer than the other budget models).

Keep in mind that if you go front projector you will need to add a screen (another grand or so depending on your choice) plus wiring and other setup issues.

Or you could go with,

A CRT projector,they are monsters but still produce the best pictures,1,000 to 1,500

80x45 screen,50.00- make it yourself,

Scalar,set-up,cables 2,000 and your in heaven

ts
Old 12-20-02, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by tommy28
Or you could go with,

A CRT projector,they are monsters but still produce the best pictures,1,000 to 1,500

80x45 screen,50.00- make it yourself,

Scalar,set-up,cables 2,000 and your in heaven

ts

What type of CRT are you buying for $1,500?? The only reason I didn't recommend CRT is because it is way more expensive than LCD and DLP.

I think you should expect to pay around $8 - $10k for a base model CRT. Do you have a brand/model? I would like nothing more than to pick up a cheap CRT as long as the quality exceeds that of the Runco DLP.

Also, yes you can make a screen yourself, heck you can just use a painted wall if you want, however, you will not get the quality you will see from a screen designed for HT.

debbert....you are wise to know your budget and not get out of control. You can always spend more money on bigger and better equipment. If you are happy that is all that matters!
Old 12-21-02, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Very nice set-up. My HT is also the family room so I had to make several concessions. But they were neccessary and I'm happy with how they came out. I promised myself an ISF technician and never did it. I think I may do that with my bonus this year.

So tell me; how long do you stay down there and what do you do while you are watching that requires a shower?
Old 12-21-02, 12:05 PM

nice, but definetly do something about that tv!
Old 12-23-02, 08:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by JimRochester
Very nice set-up. My HT is also the family room so I had to make several concessions. But they were neccessary and I'm happy with how they came out. I promised myself an ISF technician and never did it. I think I may do that with my bonus this year.

So tell me; how long do you stay down there and what do you do while you are watching that requires a shower?
My roommate and I share the first floor and basement of a duplex. The space that my home theater room is is was originally built as an economy apartment. Therefore, it has the shower as well as a bedroom.