Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

What cleaner to use on my new TV screen

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-02, 03:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just got a new TV and need to clean it when it gets real dusty. Besides a duster or canned air for light dust what kind of products can I spray on to clean the glass but not harm it?
Old 12-17-02, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For a standard CRT tube TV, I recommend using Windex (or a cheap clone). I apply the Windex to a clean rag, and use the rag to clean the screen. I personally wouldn't spray Windex directly on the TV screen. And turning on the television first is a good idea.
Old 12-17-02, 04:08 PM

I heard Windex was a big NO NO ??? Was I wrong??
Old 12-17-02, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'll hear a lot about how any kind of spray on window cleaner is bad for monitors and TV's. What they really mean is that it is bad to actually spray these products straight onto the TV. If you spray it on the TV it can run down and into the inside, causing shorts or who knows what type of problem. There's an easy solution.... don't spray it directly onto the TV. Do as skar suggets, spray it into a clean rag, then clean the screen.
Old 12-17-02, 04:23 PM

Greetings

I'm a bit anal about the way I clean my 36' direct view-I only use a brand new cellulouse sponge (rinsed thouroghly and often in warm water,after washing my hands several times with only ivory soap and a clean dry towel handy)
with the clean sponge barely moist I go left to right or up and down gently and slowly to remove the dust (which can scratch) first - rinsing out the dust often - then drying w/same really dry sponge-usually do this once a week.
2 or 3 times a month (because I smoke) I do the same procedure,
but after the dust is removed,I put a tiny amount of ivory soap on my fingers,rub it on the sponge and clean the screen again-removing the small amount of suds w/the other side of sponge,and rinsing out the sponge often-I never use anything else - the wife is allowed NO where near the equipment - she has the bad habit of spraying windex/furniture polish directly on stuff
and not on the cloth/sponge.
Like Skar pointed out-I would not suggest spraying anything directly onto a surface.
I'm Anal like that w/ all my stuff,but it keeps me happy
and many CRT manufacturers recom. a sponge for this purpose also.

CHEERS ! jefff
Old 12-17-02, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 71 Likes on 62 Posts
The instructions w/my new widescreen HDTV said "clean with a dry cloth only." So far I'm just sticking with that, since I'd be scared to put anything else on it...
Old 12-17-02, 06:43 PM

The best way I've found to clean my tv (projection) is to take a to take a really soft cloth (like an old t-shirt) and wet in warm water with a small amount of ivory liquid mixed in. Then ring out as much water from the cloth as possible, fold it in a square and wipe a strip from the top of the screen to the bottom, then immediately wipe down the same area with a dry cloth. I repeat this until I've wiped across the entire screen, re-wetting the cloth as needed.

If you have a tube tv, I wouldn't use windex - I cleaned a computer monitor with windex once and it left a dull film that never came off.

Also, if you have a projection tv, don't use those swiffer type cloths, because they just seem to move the dust around without removing it all and they will scratch the plastic screen protector.

Last edited by Roy28; 12-17-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-18-02, 06:11 AM

Most people at htf say to go to a eyeglasses store and buy a really fine cloth and glasses cleaner. This should give you best result.
Old 12-18-02, 11:11 AM

I use cheese cloth and a warm bowl of water with a touch of ivory liquid soap. Windex is good for general glass, but most tv sets have some sort of a glare reducing coating or just a protective oating in general that can be damaged. Most times, tv sets just get dusty, so warm soapy water should work just fine. If you're a smoker, you might find it more difficult to get the tar stains off with just soap and water (and if you're smoking around your tv set, you should be shot! lol).

Just make sure that you use a lint-free rag, as no amount of cleaning will help to get each piece of lint residue left (i.e. paper towels - ugh).
Old 12-19-02, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about "Endust" for electronics, in the blue can?

I have a RPTV that I havn't cleaned the screen yet because I didn't know what to use. Looks like dry dusting may be the wat to go. I don't smoke, no kids, and only dog hair would be my main problem.
Old 12-19-02, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You definitely don't want to put any chemical on a RPTV screen. I use a wet soft cloth.
Old 12-21-02, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use a brillo pad and a solution of ajax powder mixed with pure lemon juice. So far I've managed to scratch the hell out of my screen, but it is really clean.