Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]

Community
Search
International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Malata and beyond: discussing Region-Free DVD player options [PART 6]

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-02, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
PROBLEMS PLAYING BURNED DISCS?

My Malata N996 has problems playing all burned discs. I've burned VCDs, SVCDS and CDs and all have skipping problems. SVCDs seem to be the worst of them. I've tried different media and tried burning at slower speeds but nothing seems to work. Every few minutes the screen will go all blocky, like a corrupted JPG file as someone else put it. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering buying a new player because it's such an annoyance. Really disrupts watching a movie.

So, anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem others have or is my player having issues?
Old 12-06-02, 10:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: PROBLEMS PLAYING BURNED DISCS?

Originally posted by Nosebleed

My Malata N996 has problems playing all burned discs. I've burned VCDs, SVCDS and CDs and all have skipping problems. SVCDs seem to be the worst of them. I've tried different media and tried burning at slower speeds but nothing seems to work. Every few minutes the screen will go all blocky, like a corrupted JPG file as someone else put it. It's gotten to the point where I'm considering buying a new player because it's such an annoyance. Really disrupts watching a movie.

So, anyone else have this problem? Is it a problem others have or is my player having issues?
Try cleaning your Laser
Old 12-06-02, 09:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you are truly making these yourself, make sure you are not exceeding the maximum bitrate for the Malata. I forgot what it was though, but have made xVCD at the max
Old 12-08-02, 09:56 AM
Banned

Just wanted to let y'all know....

got "body of evidence" last night...
(don't laugh)

ANY of the scenes that have a red light to them (fireplace sex scenes) have the scrolling effect I was talking about. Are we SURE this isn't the chroma bug??? It ONLY happens on the reds.
Old 12-09-02, 10:41 AM
Banned

ummm...hello? anyone? I don't understand why no one can explain this phenomenon.
Old 12-11-02, 11:47 AM
Cool New Member

Malata & Samsung tv?

Has anyone tried playing Pal R2 on the Malata with a Samsung TSH 2758 television?

out,

copacabana
Old 12-11-02, 01:00 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

paranoized: I have a few questions that hope fully you can answer for me. I have the Sony Wega 36xbr800 4x3 tv, I will hook up my dvd player through component inputs, this is not my main dvd player I also have a panny rp-91 for all of my region 1 dvd's. but my questions are:
1. I want to play movies with subtitles like Salo, and Battle Royale. Will I be able to view the subtitles on my tv.
2. WIll I suffering anying combing or shimmering thorugh component inputs.
3. I want the Malata 520vga so that x-y scaling is "stored" when I turn off the player, is there a cheaper place to buy it than from hkflix.com.

At this point I only want to buy Salo, Battle Royale tin and a few Aussie discs that are 16x9, so will this player work for me.
Old 12-11-02, 03:15 PM
Banned

wow...still no response...how many posts till i get one. Anyone? anyone??
Old 12-11-02, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
wow...still no response...how many posts till i get one. Anyone? anyone??
did you try switching the video filters?
Old 12-11-02, 10:52 PM

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
paranoized: I have a few questions that hope fully you can answer for me. I have the Sony Wega 36xbr800 4x3 tv, I will hook up my dvd player through component inputs, this is not my main dvd player I also have a panny rp-91 for all of my region 1 dvd's. but my questions are:
1. I want to play movies with subtitles like Salo, and Battle Royale. Will I be able to view the subtitles on my tv.
2. WIll I suffering anying combing or shimmering thorugh component inputs.
3. I want the Malata 520vga so that x-y scaling is "stored" when I turn off the player, is there a cheaper place to buy it than from hkflix.com.

At this point I only want to buy Salo, Battle Royale tin and a few Aussie discs that are 16x9, so will this player work for me.
1. Yes, subtitles will be viewable.

However, when you use the XY scaling on a Malata the subtitles are also "scaled" with the image. It's no big deal unless you are zooming OUT a lot.

2. No; you won't have any problems as long as you're running component in and have the player in progressive scan mode. Enjoy.

3. Not that I know of.
Old 12-12-02, 08:02 PM

Paranoized, I read your FAQ. Lots of good information there. I do have one question though. If I go to Best Buy and pick up a JVC XV-S500BK, will it do PAL -> NTSC conversion? I have a set of Region 0, Pal discs I want to view, but I don't need a Region free player at this time. Will the JVC XV-S500BK do it for me?

Thanx for all your hard work!
Old 12-13-02, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by dvdbase
If I go to Best Buy and pick up a JVC XV-S500BK, will it do PAL -> NTSC conversion? I have a set of Region 0, Pal discs I want to view, but I don't need a Region free player at this time. Will the JVC XV-S500BK do it for me?

Best Buy = NO, NO, and NO

It has to be modded. They won't work out of the box (like Best Buy etc). I got mine for $243 shipped from http://www.codefreedvdmart.com

Came really quick and their mod is seamless (Just pop in any region disc that is PAL or NTSC) and it plays without a hitch.
Old 12-13-02, 10:05 AM

Originally posted by dvdbase
Paranoized, I read your FAQ. Lots of good information there. I do have one question though. If I go to Best Buy and pick up a JVC XV-S500BK, will it do PAL -> NTSC conversion? I have a set of Region 0, Pal discs I want to view, but I don't need a Region free player at this time. Will the JVC XV-S500BK do it for me?

dvdbase -

Yes, the XV-S500BK does the PAL->NTSC conversion out of the box... it's even stated in the manual. The player only needs to be modified to circumvent region coding.

As long as your DVDs are truly PAL Region 0, they will play through. Enjoy.

Last edited by paranoized; 12-13-02 at 10:09 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 10:09 AM

Originally posted by paranoized
dvdbase -

Yes, the JVCs do the PAL->NTSC conversion out of the box. It's even stated in the manual. They only need to be modified to circumvent the region coding.

As long as your DVDs are truly PAL Region 0, they will play through. Enjoy.
They are truly Region 0, Pal. The discs in question are the Robin of Sherwood series (8 discs, Four 2 disc boxes). I'm currently using a cheap apex, which actually did an ok job on the conversion. But lately, it seems to only want to load discs sporadically. It also, at times, stutters or freezes completely. It does this with any disc, not just the PAL discs. I shoulda know when I picked it up for $70 what I was getting myself into.

Thanx again for the help!
Old 12-18-02, 06:18 PM

Yet Another Which Player Do I Buy Post

So it's impossible to ignore all the posts that say "go with Malata" but let me ask this question for my own peace of mind.

I already have a collection of Region 1 DVDs, but my job has forced me to relocate and it'll be cheaper to start buying DVD's out of Australia. I also want to order from the HKL collection. There seem to be a lot of little "inconveniences" with any of the region free players and I'm a little worried about getting in over my head. I'll probably buy the Malata 520, but nobody has mentioned anything about the Jaton players. How are they?

I just want to make the best decision.

Thanks
Old 12-21-02, 08:34 PM

I found these four region free DVD players (among many others) at codefreedvdmart.com

Daewoo Code Free DVD DVG 3000N in built converter ($114.99)
Panasonic RV31EN Code Free DVD Player ($249.99)
Philips 724 Code Free Progressive Scan DVD Player With PAL/NTSC Converter ($189.99)
JVC XV-S500 DVD Multi Region Built-in Converter ($219.00)

From what the descriptions state, it sounds like the Daewoo offers the best for the money... but I'm not sure; All I need is a player I can plug in and with which I can watch my Region 2 Dvds...

Any recommendation? I don't know what the difference between these two is...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Old 12-23-02, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Not sure if this would help but... the new Philips player - 963SA is quite a hot commodity. Not that that is any indication the 724 is good, bad or indifferent - just might be worth looking into.
Old 12-24-02, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by Leila
I found these four region free DVD players (among many others) at codefreedvdmart.com

Daewoo Code Free DVD DVG 3000N in built converter ($114.99)
Panasonic RV31EN Code Free DVD Player ($249.99)
Philips 724 Code Free Progressive Scan DVD Player With PAL/NTSC Converter ($189.99)
JVC XV-S500 DVD Multi Region Built-in Converter ($219.00)

From what the descriptions state, it sounds like the Daewoo offers the best for the money... but I'm not sure; All I need is a player I can plug in and with which I can watch my Region 2 Dvds...

Any recommendation? I don't know what the difference between these two is...

Any help greatly appreciated!
Wow, I go away for a few days and people are already buying Daewoos... unbelievable.

1. Avoid Daewoo... UNLESS you really feel the need for more pain and frustration in your life and you really love returning items to the store.

2. Do you really want to give your money to a business that's shady at best? There are more reputable places out there.

3. If you have an HDTV or HDTV-ready TV, get one of the JVCs or Malatas immediately. Model numbers can be found by going to the link in my signature.

4. Read #1 again.
Old 12-24-02, 12:46 PM

Originally posted by stingo
Not sure if this would help but... the new Philips player - 963SA is quite a hot commodity. Not that that is any indication the 724 is good, bad or indifferent - just might be worth looking into.
Yes, it's hot... but it does not convert PAL.
Old 12-24-02, 12:57 PM

Re: Yet Another Which Player Do I Buy Post

Originally posted by kyuzo13
I'll probably buy the Malata 520, but nobody has mentioned anything about the Jaton players. How are they?

Pass on the Jaton.

The construction is about as impressive as an 8th grade electronics project built inside a shoebox. In fact if you could find one in a store, you'd probably be too embarrassed to even be seen touching it.

Stick with a JVC or Malata.
Old 12-24-02, 05:52 PM

Thanks paranoized! Which specific players (model numbers) would you recommend? Can I plug any of these in and let them roll?
Merci!
Old 12-24-02, 06:50 PM
Banned

Hey all,

Just got the U2 video collection for christmas and i noticed that it only has a PCM audio track. Does this mean my annoyance with my Malata 520 is not going to play it? This will (most likely) push me over the edge into selling the machine. They're more trouble than they're worth.
Old 12-25-02, 04:26 AM

Hey paranoized! Did you say that codefreedvdmart.com is not a good place to buy from?

Do you have a recommendation?
Before I came here and saw your advice, I had already ordered a Daewoo 5800 from another on-line retailer. When it arrived, it didn't play my region 2 dvd's. But I found the info on your site on how to fix that. I thought everything was fine then, but I have a six-disk set - brand new, and it'll play 2 out of the 6 disks - the others freeze and won't play.

I just want to be able to watch my region 2 dvd's. I don't have hdtv.

If I want to plug & play - you recommend Malata over JVC, right?
Any more advice you have would be appreciated.
Old 12-25-02, 07:55 AM

Originally posted by Leila
Thanks paranoized! Which specific players (model numbers) would you recommend? Can I plug any of these in and let them roll?
Merci!
It depends on what you want in a player. There are a number of single disc, changers, and DVD-Audio compatible players that will do the job:
model numbers

They are not all plug & play

So if you want a JVC or Toshiba, you need to buy from a dealer that does the internal region code modification.
Old 12-25-02, 08:03 AM

Originally posted by digitalfreaknyc
Hey all,

Just got the U2 video collection for christmas and i noticed that it only has a PCM audio track. Does this mean my annoyance with my Malata 520 is not going to play it?
What are you talking about? Do you mean MPEG audio? On the 520 you won't be able to access an MPEG audio track. That's a glitch that should have been fixed with a firmware upgrade a long time ago, but it looks doubtful at this point.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.