Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

I want to buy a console in Jan. Or Feb... or should I wait for Next Gen. consoles?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

I want to buy a console in Jan. Or Feb... or should I wait for Next Gen. consoles?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no idea when the next generation consoles are coming out, but I am guessing it will be in the next year or so?

Anyone have any advice? Will it be worth my money to buy a console in a couple of months or will it be outdated by the the time I get it out of the box?

Oh, and where can I get the best deal? I saw a couple of bundles yesterday... XBox with 3 games, dvd remote, extra controller for $280, PS2 with games, controller memory cards $299, Gamecube with games, etc. $199.

The games included aren't necessarily what I would buy, but I do want a dvd remote, etc. Are those deals about as good as it gets?

Thank you in advance for your advice.
Old 12-16-02, 09:36 AM
Video Game Talk Editor

Next gen = possibly 2005, probably 2006.
Old 12-16-02, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This is a great time to take the plunge. The current generation of hardware is cheap with tons of great games.

The gaming industry is healthier today then ever with fierce competition to get gamers dollars, producing a great enviorment to get AAA games and low prices.

The only "downfall" to the current market is the split between exclusive games. Each manufactor has a lineup of games that only appear on their console. Most 3rd party games appear on all the consoles.

Really your choice shouldn't be about waiting or not, it should be about what console to buy. That decision is best decided by looking at the games you most enjoy to play. If anyone replys to this thread telling you to purchase "XXXXX" system, promtly ignore them. Remember it's all about the games.

Last edited by jeffdsmith; 12-16-02 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-16-02, 10:22 AM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are going to wait until Jan or Feb, you might as well wait for a price drop.

All systems should drop $50 again sometime next year, probably around E3 in may. That would put the PS2 and X-box and $149 and the GC at $99.

Of course it's your money, and you'll have to decide if playing games a few extra months is worth. Plus there's a chance that there could be a longer wait on another price drop, but I doubt it.
Old 12-16-02, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I say buy now! Decide on a system and take full advantage of MSN wallet and blockbusters buy 2 get the 3rd game free on pre-played games
Old 12-16-02, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are a casual gamer than I say wait for the price drop.

Personally there are too many great games out there for each system. I've caved and bought all the hottest systems currently out there and even if waiting would of saved me money I couldn't wait any longer.
Old 12-16-02, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thank you, everyone, for the advice.

Without opening a discussion of the merits of the various consoles... are the bundles that I mentioned above going to be the best value? Or should I put together my system piecemeal?

Thanks again.
Old 12-16-02, 01:57 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

well most stores have a xbox with the controller S (a smaller version of the orginal controller that most people like better), Sega GT 2002 ( a realstic driving game along the lines of the Gran Turismo series, just not as polished) and Jet Set raido future( afuturistic inlin skating game that has cel shaded graphics, which is the latest crave, even though Jet Set Raido was one of the first games to use cel shading), all of this for $199

or you can get a Indigo gamecube with a 59 block memory card, a controller and Super Maio Sunshine( very similiar to Mario 64) for $189.99

and there is no ps2 bundle, any ps2 bundle you see is made up by the store to entice the consumer to buy from there store. The ps2 is $199.99

I would buy now if you have the money.

Certain sources have indicated that Xbox 2 (project name) could be out as early as 2004, but in the meantime start gaming.

The system you should get depends on what kind of games you like, most people tend to think that Xbox and PS2 are very similar and that gamecube is more of a kiddy system, but they have been on a roll, with Metriod Prime and RE0, and others.

But I have all three systems and wouldn't have it any other way, so if you have $500 and more for some games, go right ahead and buy all 3 systems.
Old 12-16-02, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Research the games in the bundles. Each time I buy a system in a bundle I end up hating those games that I got with the system.

I bought my PS2 way back when and got GT3 with it. It's an ok game but I'm not a huge racing fan. It's realistic but got boring after some time.

Bought the XBOX bundle that is out now. Ugh. Both the games are junk. SegaGT is worse than GT3 and the inline skating game was kinda fun at first but I only ever put it in 3 times or so.

When I bought my GC i went without a bundle and I'm glad I broke the cycle. The Metroid bundle some places would of been nice but I wasn't sure about the game at first. Now I realize a bundle with Metroid in it would of been great.

Look around...see what bundles are out there....then come back to the net and read everything you can about these games. It'll payy off in the long run and you'll enjoy your games and your new system far more.
Old 12-16-02, 03:01 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by MasterofDVD
Research the games in the bundles. Each time I buy a system in a bundle I end up hating those games that I got with the system.

I bought my PS2 way back when and got GT3 with it. It's an ok game but I'm not a huge racing fan. It's realistic but got boring after some time.
Same here. Too dang realistic for me... I just wanted to drive fast. Sold it to a buddy of mine who is into cars & realistic racing, and he loved it... but it wasn't for me.
Old 12-16-02, 05:22 PM
Shawn

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
Certain sources have indicated that Xbox 2 (project name) could be out as early as 2004, but in the meantime start gaming.
Hmm...I didn't see this. Do you have a link?
Old 12-16-02, 05:46 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I haven't seen that either. Some have said they may try to beat the PS3 launch, but that would probably still mean spring 2005 at the earliest as the PS3 is unlikely to launch before fall 2005.
Old 12-16-02, 06:56 PM

Originally posted by Corky Roxbury
[B]Certain sources have indicated that Xbox 2 (project name) could be out as early as 2004[B]
Translating for the benefit of YellowLedbetter... "certain" sources = "incorrect" sources.
Old 12-16-02, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What ever system you're leaning toward the "next generation" probably won't surface till 2005 at the earliest. So you'll probably get a good 2 or even 3 years of gaming out of which ever you choose. One thing you might want to wait for is the next price cut.

Old 12-17-02, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

All of this is helping my decision...

So the price cut is expected this summer??
Old 12-17-02, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It's our "best guess". I wouldn't wait for $50 though if I were you. Nothing is for certain - so I wouldn't hold off buying. Take the plunge, enjoy your games. Six months is a long time to hold off - especially if the rumors don't come true.
Old 12-17-02, 10:59 AM
MPK

Were are some good Gamecube deals?
Old 12-18-02, 02:07 AM
QjO

Quit pussyfooting, wallflowering and wavering and get out there and buy something - my God - what more incentive do you need, or are you not really a gamer? That's what its sounding like - if you've not bought a system before and are looking to get into it but are looking for some idealistic 'deal of the century' - look around - any or ALL of the current systems ROCK - and are at rock-bottom prices. Don't listen to speculations about how all the systems are supposed to fall another $50 bucks - where is the solid evidence of that happening? Does that mean in turn that the PS1 and LCD screen combo will drop yet again? GBA drop to 50 bucks?

Really now people - I'd venture to guess that the pricing on these systems will stay solid until NEXT Christmas season - its already a steal at these prices...