Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Classic game system hunt...any other stories?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 09:02 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As an offshoot of
this thread , I figured I'd share my recent classic gaming system hunt exploits. I'd love to hear others stories!

A few weeks ago, I decided I wanted to pull out my old systems and get them hooked up, and get all of those other systems that I never had as a kid!

Some background. I'm 30 years old, and have been playing video games since a kid. Luckily, my dad has always loved games too, so I never had too much of a battle getting systems My interested in video games has gone up and down over the years, but here's what I've had, in chronological order:

1. Odyssey Pong - big yellow unit, MIA
2. Atari 2600 - still have it, with over 100 cartridges, and a back-up 7800
3. Nintendo Entertainment System - MIA, and I had R.O.B!
4. Sega Genesis, Sega CD, 32X - still have, but sold off alot of games a few years ago
5. Game Boy - still in use
6. PlayStation - use for PS1 imports
7. Dreamcast - in use
8. PS2 - in use
8.5. Game Boy Advance - in use
9. XBox - in use
10. Gamecube - in use

My goal is to get the 2600 and Genesis hooked back up, which I will do after hauling them back from my parents.

I've also been on a quest to fill in the gaps, which is not as expensive as it might seem. Old systems can be found on eBay and in shops for pretty reasonable prices. However, I am a bit anal-retentive, and like to have the games with all the original packaging, which is a slight hurdle. Now, here's what I've picked up.

1. N64 - used for $30 at Electronics Boutique with a brand new Conker's included free!
2. Phillips CD-I - $91 on eBay with about 30 games all in their origina packaging
3. Sega Saturn - $51 on eBay with 13 games, all complete packaging
4. Sega Game Gear - will hopefully trade for one shortly, picked up 8 unopened games for $10 on eBay

I'm on the hunt for a 3DO, Super Nintendo, Sega Master System, and NES. After that, I'll maybe take a break to enjoy the games before I continue the hunt Long term, I'd like to get an Intellivision, Colecovision, and Jaguar but those aren't must-haves yet!

I'd love to hear any stories of finds people may have come across at auctions, thrift stores, etc!

FS
Old 12-16-02, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was down on St. Marks Place in NYC once and I was walking past this store called Trash And Vaudville (anyone who's been down to St. Marks will know it, a big white buidling with steps and wrought iron railings) and as I was walking I saw a sign in the next window that said "Old School Atari $40". I said to myself "I've got to check this out". I went in and these guys had every, and I mean EVERY, video game system known to man!! Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 400 computers, Commodore 64's, Colecovision, Mattell Intelevision, Atari Jaguar, Sega Genisis, NES....the place was packed to the rafters. They also installed mods to play import PS1 games ( this was back in '98) and they had a good selection of import games. These guys must have been some kind of electronics geniuses and went into business for themselves. They were pretty cool from what I remember too.

If anyone lives in NYC if you can remember the name of the place I'd appreciate you sharing it.

Old 12-16-02, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I was down on St. Marks Place in NYC once and I was walking past this store called Trash And Vaudville (anyone who's been down to St. Marks will know it, a big white buidling with steps and wrought iron railings) and as I was walking I saw a sign in the next window that said "Old School Atari $40". I said to myself "I've got to check this out". I went in and these guys had every, and I mean EVERY, video game system known to man!! Atari 2600, 5200, 7800, Atari 400 computers, Commodore 64's, Colecovision, Mattell Intelevision, Atari Jaguar, Sega Genisis, NES....the place was packed to the rafters. They also installed mods to play import PS1 games ( this was back in '98) and they had a good selection of import games. These guys must have been some kind of electronics geniuses and went into business for themselves. They were pretty cool from what I remember too.

If anyone lives in NYC if you can remember the name of the place I'd appreciate you sharing it.

Can't help you with the name, but I have been in that store a few times... NExt time I go I will try to remember the name! I can never buy anything there tho, it is like ebay prices in that store, can't blame them tho, it is NYC after all.
Old 12-16-02, 11:41 AM

I've got a 3do and some other stuff in my closet.I used to collect a lot of old systems then i kinda got bored of it.Shoot me an email if you wanna know what stuff i have
[email protected]
Old 12-16-02, 06:36 PM

I haven't keept all my systems as you have....but this is what I still have.

NEC Turbo Grafix with Turbo CD
Sega Genesis, Sega CD, 32X
Nintendo N64
Sega Dreamcast
Nintendo Gamecube

I only have the 3 most recent hooked up but that is just because of space and organization. If I can come up with a way to have them all hooked at once and keep it organzied and the cables managed I would have them all hooked up. In fact I would probably throw together a little shuttle PC so I could have my MAME collection accessible as well.
Old 12-16-02, 09:07 PM

I too recently went on a "hook up all the old systems" kick. I dragged out the:

Odyssey 2
Colecovision
Sega Master System
Turbografix 16

It was a blast, but these things are definitely ready for the burn barrel (or ebay). An afternoon of fun every year or two simply does not justify eighty pounds of ancient electronics.
Old 12-16-02, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I sold my orginal NES way back in '94 or '95 and i regretted it ever since. Then about 2 years ago i got one at a yard sale for $20 with everything and like 5 games.

After playing it for some time and deciding i needed to fix it, i bought a new 72-pin connector off ebay. Fixing up this NES made me break out my Genesis again...i love that thing.

I ended up with a Playstation earlier this year that i wasnt really wanting to keep but i have it now.

And Mister Beefhead, if you wanna unload that Master System or TG-16 i'm interested.
Old 12-16-02, 09:58 PM
Banned

And Beefhead, I'd be glad to take the Colecovision off your hands!

Grimm, there are switch boxes to easily connect everything at once. I'm keeping the 3 newest systems on my main TV and the rest are going into the bedroom on a smaller TV. Target sells these stackable shelving units. One unit is about 2 feet high and has 2 shelves. Each shelf should hold 2 systems, and there only abou $12 each. They're just pressed wood, but they make nice display shelves for the systems!

FS
Old 12-16-02, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No big stories here, but I've been picking up the systems I wanted when I was younger as of late.
I'm 21, been gaming since the NES released. I still have every single game/item that I have ever owned except for one - the only trade I ever made was trading a friend a gold Zelda for Super C way back in the day. The trade we are doing is a sad moment for me, as it will be the first time in all these years I've released something from my gaming collection.
In the past 2-3 months I've purchased:
- Sega Saturn w/controller; 8 games(Clockwork Knight, Virtua Fighter Remix, Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop, Panzer Dragoon, Resident Evil, Die Hard Arcade, NiGHTS); 5-in-1 cart
- TurboGrafx 16, controller, Keith Courage In Alpha Zones
- DreamCast, 3 controllers, VMU; 7 games(Shenmue, The House of the Dead 2, Zombie Revenge, Sega GT, NFL Blitz 2000, NFL 2K, King of Fighters Dream Match 1999)
- Super Nintendo, 2 controllers, Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Super Smash T.V., NBA Jam

The only other system I want right now is a Sega CD w/Night Trap, Sonic CD, and Snatchers. I also have a huge amount of games I want for the above systems, which I'm going to concentrate on instead of getting more PS2/GC games.
Old 12-17-02, 02:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Right now Im trying to round out my DC,SNES, and Saturn collection. My DC collection consists of really cool games but most are fighting and shooters. Im looking to round it with some solid racing titles, puzzle, and action. Same can be said about my SNES collection so heres my listings..

My DC collection as of today is

Power Stone (Import)
Soul Calibur (Import)
Marvel Vs Capcom(Import)
Marvel VS Capcom 2(Import)
Capcom VS SNK(Import)
Capcom VS SNK PRO(Import)
Capcom VS SNK 2(Import)
Sonic Adventure 2 10th Anniversary Brithday Pack(Import)
Sonic Adventure
Virtua Tennis
Crazy Taxi
Crazy Taxi 2
Giga Wing 2
Cinfidential Mission
House of The Dead 2
Jedi Power Battles
Cannon Spike
Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2
Phantasy Star Online
Shenmue
Jet Grind Radio
JoJoS Bizzare Adventure
Zombie Revenge
Resident Evil:Code Veronica
Power Stone 2
Mars Matrix
Last Blade 2
Speed Devils
Soul Calibur
Street Fighter 3: Third Strike
Street Fighter Alpha 3:Saikyo Dojo

Still Need

Mark of The Wolves
Cosmic Smash
Ikaruga
Super SF 2X
Samba De Amigo
Spider-Man
Guilty Gear X

My Saturn collection is modest but I have..

X-Men VS Street Fighter W/4MEG RAM Cart.
Marvel VS Street Fighter
Burning Rangers
Dungeons and Dragons Collection
Dracula X:Nocturne in Moonlight
Capcom Generations 1
Capcom Generations 2
Biohazard
Vampire Hunter
Street Fighter Movie:Interactive VCD
Nights Into Dreams
Street Fighter Collection 1
Marvel Super Heroes
Virtua Cop
Daytona USA
Virtua Fighter

Still Need
Capcom Generations 3 through 5
Christmas Nights
Street Fighter Zero
Street Fighter Zero 2
Street Fighter Zero 3

SNES Games In box

Super Star Wars
Super Empire Strikes Back
Super Return of The Jedi
Mortal Kombat 2
Super Castlevania 4
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Yoshi's Island
Killer Instinct

SNES games not in box...

Contra 3
Captain Commmando
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars
Street Fighter 2
Street Fighter 2 Turbo
Super Punch-Out
Fighter's History
Maximum Carnage
NBA Jam TE
Castlevania - Dracula X (Import)

still need...

Kirby All Star
Mario RPG

A lot of these games I got form import shops or ebay. And sometimes funcoland.
Old 12-17-02, 09:51 AM
Banned

Another observation...

What did people do witht he boxes and instructions for old games? I have to admit, I trashed my Atari 2600 boxes, but I was 5 then I can see cardboard boxes getting tossed, but boxes for Genesis and Saturn games were durable, yet I'm amazed how many auctions, ete do not have these boxes! The hardest to find in boxes seem to be Nintendo games; IIRC, the Gamecube was their first system to have a non-cardboard box...

FS
Old 12-17-02, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Picked up Earthbound complete with oversized box, etc. on Ebgames last year for about $12 after coupon. Sweet.
Old 12-17-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Still need for my DC

Giga Wings
Giga Wings 2
Old 12-17-02, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
Still need for my DC

Giga Wings
Giga Wings 2
Why not ask MrBeefHead in the DC thread about how to get both games and break many copyright laws in the process.