Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > TV Talk
Reload this Page >

My Tivo missed Alias tonight!!! ARRRRGH!!!!

Community
Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-02, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has this ever happened to anyone??? I have a season pass and every week, it records it. For some really strange reason, it missed it tonight. I've checked, double checked and triple checked. There are no changes in my season pass line up, there are no programs that overlap. It just flat out missed it!!!
Old 12-16-02, 03:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mine missed the end of it - but i had my phoneline unplugged for about a week, so not sure it got updated in time.
Old 12-16-02, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
You can pull up the recording history to see why it wasn't recorded.
Old 12-16-02, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by juiio
You can pull up the recording history to see why it wasn't recorded.
how do i do that?

thing is, i turned on the tv abou 10 minutes after 10:00. first of all, the channel was already on ABC and it wasn't earlier in the day (i was watching ESPN before i left my apt). i checked the buffer and it had the first 10 minutes of the Practice in it (but i wasn't recording it), but nothing before that. it should've contained 30 minutes worth of tv. if i'm not mistaken, it only erases the buffer if it just ended a recording or changed a channel. but it didn't change channels because it wasn't recording the practice. so it was like my tivo recorded SOMETHING, but it's not showing up on the recorded list.
Old 12-16-02, 04:19 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
History is the first line on the 'to do list' - hit '2' from the main screen.
Old 12-17-02, 03:16 PM

I have the episode on my ReplayTV. Just send me your internet ID and I'll send it to you...

.. oh wait, you have a TiVo.

sorry.. i just had to say it.

Merry Christmas!
Old 12-17-02, 04:45 PM

I have a question...I'm debating whether to get TiVo or ReplayTv. I don't want this to turn into an argument over which is better, I just want to know if they both do this:

What happens when stuff pushes forward the time of a shows airing? i.e. If a show is supposed to come on at 9pm, the president makes a speech that goes 'till 9:10pm and the show then runs from like 9:15-9:45. Do these players (unlike a VCR) adjust their record times to adapt to the new time?
Old 12-17-02, 05:00 PM

Unfortunately, both ReplayTV and TiVo won't be able to handle this. Both units strictly use the guide data retrieved online. If this guide shows that your episode will air from 9:00p - 9:30p, then the unit WILL tape from those times only. I suppose you could "pad" your show an extra 15 minutes at the end (both units allow this), and the show will always tape an extra 15 minutes, but it doesn't really solve the problem you outlined.

Darq

.. sorry for hijacking this thread. In response to hahn, hit "TiVo" and then "2", and then press "Select" when "View Recording History" is highlighted. Hopefully it'll give you some idea why it didn't tape. Have you had any connection problems recently? (yes, i have a TiVo also.. =)
Old 12-17-02, 06:29 PM

Originally posted by Darq
Unfortunately, both ReplayTV and TiVo won't be able to handle this. Both units strictly use the guide data retrieved online. If this guide shows that your episode will air from 9:00p - 9:30p, then the unit WILL tape from those times only. I suppose you could "pad" your show an extra 15 minutes at the end (both units allow this), and the show will always tape an extra 15 minutes, but it doesn't really solve the problem you outlined.
Thanks. I always set my VCR from 7-9 every Sunday in case Football goes long and 'The Simpsons' gets pushed ahead, so I guess I'll just have to keep up the tradition when I buy a Digital recorder.
Old 12-19-02, 06:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

hahn, if you still need to see the show and you have a fast internet connection, e-mail me.