Reload this Page >

my Metroid concern.....

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

my Metroid concern.....

Old 12-15-02, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
my Metroid concern.....

I'm a FPS fan for PC. I love my keyboard/mouse combo. I then bought Halo and xbox a year ago and adjusted rather quickly to the conroller. Really the only FPS I had tried on a console. Then picked up MGS2:substance. I tried and tried to adjust to the "no camera control while controlling Snake and vice-versa" thing but just could not handle it! I must have camera control and character control in an FPS style game.

Now to the MP part..... Just ordered a gamecube with MP. I now (after the fact of course...) read that the controls on MP also take some adjusting. Like you can't look up, strafe and fire at the same time.... I suppose the auto lock feature would help a bit but having to hold the R trigger to look up and down sounds... well.... So my question is.... "are there any FPS fans for the pc that have picked up Metroid Prime and have adjusted fairly well?" or am I just spoiled by keyboard/mouse combo and have ruined now the second FPS game (MGS2 first) on a console.....
Old 12-15-02, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I absolutely love the control scheme on MP. It fits with the game perfectly. I cant even play most console FPS games because of the controls, I need a mouse/keyboard.
Old 12-15-02, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by flashburn
I absolutely love the control scheme on MP. It fits with the game perfectly. I cant even play most console FPS games because of the controls, I need a mouse/keyboard.
I agree. I can never aim and fire accurately when running or strafing with 2 analog thumbsticks, no matter how much I practice. The lock-on feature with Metroid Prime is perfect for me!
Old 12-15-02, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

you CAN strafe and fire at the same time...
Old 12-15-02, 01:43 PM

Actually you can look up, strafe and fire at the same time. Just press and hold R, aim up, press and hold L, release R and now you're strafing and aiming upwards...fire at will.
Old 12-15-02, 01:57 PM

I play a lot of PC FPS's and also loved the controls on Halo. I've had no problem with the Metroid Prime controls. They do take a couple minutes to adjust to coming from Halo but ultimately seem very appropriate for Metroid's style of gameplay. Contrary to outward appearances, Metroid really isn't a FPS. Great game.
Old 12-15-02, 02:00 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the MP controls.

Like the other guy, I never was able to get the hang of moving and aiming at the same time with two analog sticks.

Plus it's not much of an issue in MP. First, you lock on to things with the L trigger, there's not all that many instances where you need to actually aim yourself. Second, shooting isn't as much of an emphasis as something like Halo. IMO the controls are suited perfectly to the gameplay.
Old 12-15-02, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Re: my Metroid concern.....

Originally posted by Shuki
"are there any FPS fans for the pc that have picked up Metroid Prime and have adjusted fairly well?" or am I just spoiled by keyboard/mouse combo and have ruined now the second FPS game (MGS2 first) on a console.....
You know I'm big into FPS for the PC... I think Metroid Prime controls are pretty wonky. I got used to them and it's really not a problem cuz the game is quite easy, but it's still not something I'm happy about. I would've much preferred the controls to be traditional, but as they are it's okay too. You'll like it probably if you give it a chance.
Old 12-15-02, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sometimes I think I'd rather have more Halo-like controls for Metroid Prime. But MP's controls are great, considering it's not the same game as Halo at all. Halo is much more dependent on just running through and blasting enemies on the move. You will get used to MP's controls; you might not like them as much as Halo's but that will be an afterthought considering you will be having too much of a good time with the game itself than complaining about the control scheme. I can attest to a certain feeling of disorientation when trying to play Halo after a couple hours of Metroid Prime.
Old 12-15-02, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 230 Likes on 164 Posts
Geez, you messed up my last thread theme
Old 12-15-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

yeah i agree, the controls are excellent!! I'm not too good with FPS controls though, the way the controls are designed in MP are done in such a way that it distances itself somewhat from FPS games. Locking on the enemy is really helpful and efficient.

You will have to get adjusted (as with any new type of game), but it only takes about 10 minutes or so. It'll feel weird at first, i know personally i was at a total loss in the very first room, but later in the game you'll appreciate why they made the controls as they are. Right from the start there's a handy on screen commands that guide you into the new controls as you play.

You don't need to constantly worry about looking up and down while shooting enemies because its a non issue with lockon that fixes that problem when using a controller. You will have to actually look at the enemy TO lock on though, thats where using R comes in occasionally, but its never a problem it will become second nature. the only other time you use R is to search for ways to solve a certain puzzle or scan. Plus its pretty damn cool seeing the camera fly back and forth from enemy to enemy as you blow them up. However the game still throws in its challenges. yesterday i tried 7 times to beat this one boss, but each time i got better. It felt pretty good when i beat him today .

Last edited by Outlaw; 12-15-02 at 03:03 PM.
Old 12-15-02, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

sorry GatorDeb

Man I'm pretty excited again now thanks to the encouraging words.... especially from mr. FPS I was really getting down a bit but am now as anxious as ever to give it a real "go"....

thanks all....
Old 12-15-02, 03:32 PM
zig

I (used to) play lots of PC FPS games.. I love the controls in MP and think they're perfect. Then again I get used to just about any control scheme pretty easily.

Only problem I have with the game is now that I'm playing through the second time, I hate having to scan stuff.. didn't mind the first time through because it was the first time I got to read all that stuff.