Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > International DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Max Headroom - Avail any region?

International DVD Talk Intl. DVDs, Region Free Players, RCE, Hong Kong DVDs & More

Old 12-15-02, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is Max Headroom available on DVD in any region? So far I've found nothing, but I could've sworn I'd seen or read something about it around a year ago.

Any info?
Old 12-17-02, 03:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Max Headroom was one of my favourites.....

As someone who works for a small DVD label in the UK, I've always wondered whether this title would sell. Unfortunately, we can't take on titles just because they are good - unless they have a chance of selling!

I've never had anyone ask for this title ever.... so it doesn't look good!

Thanks,
Old 12-17-02, 09:51 AM
Suspended

Originally posted by mutts
I've never had anyone ask for this title ever.... so it doesn't look good!
I don't know, it seems to me that every show has some kind of audience that would buy. Look at the plethora of TV shows that are starting to surface in the US. One would think that it's almost reaching market saturation, where it's so much that nothing would be profitable - and yet the season boxed sets continue to flow.

I cant imagine that a cult show like Max Headroom would have any less of a underground following that say, the Transformers or Land of the Lost - and both those shows wound up on DVD. Max wasn't super huge, but it had enough of a fan base that it would seem a natural to me.

Why don't people ask for the show? I have no idea. I've never asked anyone before because I don't know WHO to beg - but if did hit disc, I'd buy the series in a hot second. I'd also bet that if you asked in the main forum, you might get more traffic too.
Old 12-17-02, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Compared to some of the shows being put out on DVD I'm also surprised it's not out. Maybe a lot of people on this board are too young (no, I'm not your grampa, quit rolling your eyes) to remember but Max was quite the icon of the 80's. His show may not have been that popular, but Max was everywhere on TV back then.
Old 12-18-02, 08:54 PM

I've been waiting for this since I got my player back in '99. It would be nice. I have all the eps taped from Bravo Canada and I've heard Tech TV is airing it latenight but the shiny format would be good.

I honestly can't believe this doesn't have a market.
Old 12-19-02, 09:19 AM

http://www.petitiononline.com/maxondvd/petition.html

The movement has to start somewhere - so why not here.

There *has* to be a market for this in some region.
Old 12-20-02, 07:42 AM
Suspended

Apparently, Matt Frewer is interested in reviving Max Headroom. If this happens, I'd think that would increase the market for the existing episodes on DVD (preferably in a box-set that includes the original British pilot).
Old 12-20-02, 04:45 PM

Originally posted by Tom Campbell
Apparently, Matt Frewer is interested in reviving Max Headroom. If this happens, I'd think that would increase the market for the existing episodes on DVD (preferably in a box-set that includes the original British pilot).

Thats great news - Thanks for posting. I always kinda suspected he'd be waiting to do it again. Aside from the ST:TNG ep and those Sherlock Holmes TV movies Max Headroom was his career. I wonder if there could be financial backing for it.

Would you happen to have a url with any rumours or anything?
Old 12-20-02, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 256 Likes on 181 Posts
Originally posted by wz42
Aside from the ST:TNG ep and those Sherlock Holmes TV movies Max Headroom was his career.
Are there really no Doctor, Doctor fans left in the world? I'm serious.

Matt Frewer actually has quite an extensive filmography, including working in a hit movie about some guy who shrinks his kids. He gets a pretty consistent amount of work and recently appeared in that Taken miniseries on the Sci-Fi Channel.

He only appeared in one episode of Star Trek, however. Hardly a career defining moment. Are you sure you aren't thinking of Dwight Schultz?

Last edited by Josh Z; 12-20-02 at 06:45 PM.
Old 12-20-02, 07:54 PM

hehe.

I forgot about Doctor, Doctor. The hehe is from remembering the series btw - it was good. I stand corrected for *sure*.

Yep I wouldn't forget about Barcley - heak I even have the Barcley action figure and Barcley pog included. It was the one ep I was thinking of. I'd kinda consider it the third high point in his career (after MH and DR DR).

I did check out his other work but imho nothing holds a candle to Max Headroom (though Doctor, Doctor was really good.)
Old 12-21-02, 09:23 AM
Suspended

Access the following site and you'll see a short bit mentioning it. Apparently, Matt brought it up during a SciFi chat.

http://stupidevilbastard.com/archive...sion/index.php
Old 12-22-02, 06:37 AM
Mod Emeritus

<small>
Originally posted by renaldow
Only it wasn't in his career.... Dwight Shultz of A-Team fame played Barclay!
</small>I read it that way first but then I reviewed the comments and Josh said "are you sure you aren't thinking of Dwight Schultz" and the subsequent Barcley reference (I thought) was a reply to that with the added confirmation/distinction that he was thinking about the one-episode-only character Frewer had played.

I'm no Trekker expert so, this aside, I hope a decent MH DVD does arrive someday: the tv action series largely passed me by because it was shown in the middle of the night in the UK without much advertising. I think I only saw one episode

I did see the original film and wrote to the producer for some quotes for an article for a school magazine. He was very forthcoming and answered all my questions and also sent me publicity stills etc. I don't know if he produced the US tv series but I was impressed with his friendly co-operation.
Old 12-22-02, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Now that I read it again while I'm less infuriated I think you're right, Benedict. My apologies to wz42 for posting so rashly! I've deleted it.

Sign the petition, everyone!
Old 12-22-02, 10:47 AM

Never mind those who don't remember 'Doctor, Doctor'...

what about 'Shakey Ground' ?
Old 09-21-05, 09:23 PM

I LOVED Max Headroom! The show had such an "edgy" quality to it, and predicted a lot that we take for granted today, from debit cards to all-pervasive TV (when was the last time you were in a bar or restaurant *without* a tv?), to "Security Systems: No matter where you go - there WE are," or another quote, "Security Systems, they have access to more private information than any *single* government".
I taped my eps off ABC when they re-ran in the summer, then picked up the last four un-aired eps off US Bravo (back in the day when Bravo didn't air ads!), but I'm still missing "Raking". I'd buy the series in a second! (And there's only 13 episodes, which would fit on 4 DVDs).

One place you can "vote" for new TV show releases is: www.TVonDVD.com
(I think that's the URL, not sure), an account is required to "vote" but it's also free. This site *isn't* affiliated with anyone official though.

--Brit TV fan
Old 09-21-05, 09:28 PM

HI--

Okay, I admit it -- I also liked "Doctor, Doctor". Frewer's a good Canadian actor, and he does have an impressive resume.

I also like Dwight Schultz, even though all I've seen him in is "The A-Team" and a couple of Star Trek eps as "Barclay" (not a big ST:TNG fan here, sorry).

Take care,

--Brit TV fan
Old 09-21-05, 09:30 PM

Sorry the url for voting for TV shows on DVD is:

TVShowsonDVD.com
Old 09-21-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Add me to the list of MH fans - i signed the petition long ago. Here's some info on why there wasn't a Season 3.
(If you look around the site, some Max seasons may... umm... "rain.")