Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Fox Cancels Firefly

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02, 02:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fox Cancels Firefly

From TimMinear.net
Well, it's official. After much speculation, Firefly has been cancelled.

Tim had the following to say, "We did get word tonight, Fox won't be ordering any new eps. That translates to 'cancelled.' We will finish shooting the ep now in production (I'm directing, in fact Joss came down to the set to break the bad news to cast and crew -- we wrapped early, but are back at it in the am), we'll finish post on all eps, and Fox says they're going to somehow air all eps."
So, it looks like we'll still get to see a few new episodes (at the very least, it doesn't sound like they're yanking the currently scheduled ones from the air). It was a good show, but it never really had a chance to gain an audience.

Darn.
Old 12-13-02, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, that just about figures.

Fox's next idea will be to just show the first 45 minutes of a show. Who wants to see the ending anyway?

If you're going to pay a creator to do something, let them create. Don't dick them around, show their stuff out of order, and make them redo episodes.
Old 12-13-02, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Although this is totally expected, it really sucks. Firefly was easily one of my favorite new shows of the year. I would have followed it wherever they moved it. Damn you, Fox.
Old 12-13-02, 04:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I like Joss Wedon a lot.. I think he's a good story teller and wonderful writer but the concept of his show didn't work for me..

I lost interest after 3 episodes

I didn't get the whole western motif in outer space thing
Old 12-13-02, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Man this pisses me off! This was easily my favorite show of the season. My entire week was just a build up to watch Firefly! (sad, huh? ).

And for the record, I've never watched a show Wedon has done, and don't consider him any different then anyone else (except he created a hell of a show called Firefly, that Fox just cancelled )
Old 12-13-02, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts
It just sucks that FOX will cancel a good show like Firefly but keep crap like Fastlane on the air! Oh well, guess I'll have to find something else to keep me awake until L&O SVU comes on.
Old 12-13-02, 07:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Agreed. Totally expected and most frustrating. I don't see how they expect anyone to get interested and pay attention to their shows when they refuse to give anything a chance. I don't even know what they wasted their time with this one. They did everything possible to make it a failure, from skipping the pilot, to air the episodes out of order, to burying it in the morgue Fridays at 8pm. What the hell did they expect to happen.

What a waste ... this show could have been really cool.

das
Old 12-13-02, 08:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts
Fox sure is quick to cancel shows aren't they? Granted, most are crap, but they only replace it with worse crap so why bother?
Old 12-13-02, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by lisadoris
It just sucks that FOX will cancel a good show like Firefly but keep crap like Fastlane on the air! Oh well, guess I'll have to find something else to keep me awake until L&O SVU comes on.
Well, I'll be the only person I'm sure to admit this, but I enjoy Fastlane What can I say, I find it entertaining, which I suppose is the point of it.
Old 12-13-02, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by shanester
I like Joss Wedon a lot.. I think he's a good story teller and wonderful writer but the concept of his show didn't work for me..

This is PROBABLY because FOX dicked around with the order of the episodes (skipping the pilot and a few episodes there after).

BTW the pilot "Serenity" is scheduled to finally air next Friday. Tonight's episode is "Objects in Space"

A bounty hunter sneaks aboard Serenity to capture River and collect the reward money.
Hmm... great to see the PILOT of a show as one of its final aired episodes and after it has been canceled.

I'm sure the Glutton Bowl-caliber shows they will inevitably fill the slot with will do backflips over the ratings Firefly got.

DAMN YOU FOX.

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-13-02 at 09:03 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

This and John Doe were the only two new shows that I watched this season, and Firefly's really been getting noticably better each week. Now there won't be enough to motivate me to watch the rapidly decreasing in quality (IMO) John Doe.
Old 12-13-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by shanester

My thoughts exactly.

I'm sorry to see this go, because (a) I know some people were really enjoying it and (b) I trust Wedon and would like to see what this could have become in a season or two.

But, I really just didn't enjoy the show.

Anyway, this move wasn't very surprising. We all basically called this before the season even started (for all the reasons that das listed).
Old 12-13-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This is very disappointing news. Oh well, let's enjoy what we will get out of Fox in the coming months should they decide to show every episode that's in the can.
Old 12-13-02, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,653 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I pulled this from another site, but it's supposedly from the official Firefly board straight from Joss:

Message from Joss on the Phoenix Board:

joss - Dec 13, 2002 7:49:36 am EST #7717 of 7737 Mark
Kiba owes me her life.

Four AM. Can't sleep. Who'd have thought?

There's a couple of things I'd like to say. And a few things I really can't. First of all, I'm prouder of this show and the people I worked with on it than I can express in words, monkey noises, or hyroglyphics. I believe this has been some fairly great TV. And the experience of making it... I've had crew members who've been working for 20 years say they've never worked around such excitement, support and love. You walk on that set, you're transported. The cast: 9 count 'em 9 incredibly talented actors who are all decent, wonderful people. This phenomenon cannot be explained by science.

Second of all, don't think for a second that I have given up on this show. I think it has been mistreated shamefully, but the Fox network has indicated that they would not stand in the way (which they can) of my finding a new home for the show. That's no easy prospect. But I will do everything in my power, as always, to keep this bird in the air. Of course I'll post if there's any news.

But even if the show goes back up elsewhere, I'm going to lose a good portion of my crew. Production will halt, they'll need to find new jobs. You can't imagine how that feels. How much they brought to the table, how hard and well they worked. And their Christmas bonus is this. As much as the cast, the staff, and my not so secret lover Minear, I honor those guys, and hope to get them back on board.

So for now, I proudly take my place beside Profit, The Ben Stiller Show, the Tick, and Action. But I won't rest until I've found safe harbour (no, not the Gregory Harrison show) for this vessel.

I've got the time.

It ain't like I'm sleeping.

-joss.
I'm very disappointed, but I hope it finds another home. I'm sure it won't, but I'll keep hoping.
Old 12-13-02, 10:54 AM

Damn.
Old 12-13-02, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Joss Whedon
and my not so secret lover [Tim] Minear
Huh?!? Maybe I'm daft on this subject or misreading the context. ("not that there's anything WRONG with that " nor to go off topic or anything...)

Last edited by rfduncan; 12-13-02 at 11:14 AM.
Old 12-13-02, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by rfduncan
Huh?!? Maybe I'm daft on this subject or misreading the context. ("not that there's anything WRONG with that " nor to go off topic or anything...)
He's making a joke. All of his posts have stuff like that in them.
Old 12-13-02, 11:28 AM

There is a chance it could get picked up by UPN, right? The network where cancelled shows get a 2nd chance. Buffy followed by Firefly would be pretty sweet.
Old 12-13-02, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally posted by bedhead_75
There is a chance it could get picked up by UPN, right? The network where cancelled shows get a 2nd chance. Buffy followed by Firefly would be pretty sweet.
Yeah, put it up against Smallville and 24. It's sure to get a good following then!
You're right, though, it'd be nice to see UPN pick it up, and even re-air everything in the correct order.
Old 12-13-02, 11:51 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
This isn't a big surprise. I quit watching after 4 episodes, I just couldn't get into this show. I'll probably check out the pilot episode next week.
Old 12-13-02, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, if he removed the space ships, other planets, futuristic setting and stuff and just had them riding horses on Earth, maybe the Sci-Fi Channel would pick it up?

Old 12-13-02, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by MrX
This isn't a big surprise. I quit watching after 4 episodes, I just couldn't get into this show. I'll probably check out the pilot episode next week.
This is a shame, because the quality improved DRASTICALLY after the first few episodes, in my opinion. I think it would have worked even better had the episodes played in their proper order.
Old 12-13-02, 12:43 PM
Banned

I tried to like it but just couldnt get in to it.
I know how fans feel though. I got Farscape taken away from me a few months ago.
Old 12-13-02, 01:10 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally posted by lisadoris
It just sucks that FOX will cancel a good show like Firefly but keep crap like Fastlane on the air!
Doesn't Fastlane take Firefly's space in the timeslot of death next month? That's a move that doesn't make sense. Why put a show that is aimed at young males on a Friday night? Then again we are talking about Fox.
Old 12-13-02, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think it has a decent chance at a future on UPN. I can't really see the WB, the only other network that I think would take it, getting on board.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.