Search
TV Talk Talk about Shows on TV

Taken

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-02, 12:32 AM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Taken

I missed the whole first week, and started watching the series on Monday and have watched every episode since. I'm anxiously awaiting the last episode tomorrow night. I know there have been several episode discussions but how about a series in general one What does everyone think so far? Any predictions for the final episode when everything is (hopefully) explained? Anyone read the book that they keep advertising? Did it come first, or is it just adapted from the series? Will you buy the enevitable DVD box set?
Old 12-13-02, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait for the last show.

Prediction:
Spoiler:
The aliens take her away because she's too dagerous to stay on earth
Old 12-13-02, 10:36 AM
Banned

Overall I like it and am anticipating the conclusion. There's some cheesiness to it and it lost momentum midway, but generally it's well written and entertaining pulp. The villains are nicely done and deliberately complex (even Donahoe's finally became more interesting).

Will not buy dvd, no. Will never watch again. I'd maybe rent it if I hadn't seen it.
Old 12-13-02, 11:14 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts
I had low expectations after the first ep but have really enjoyed it since then. Their were a couple of things that could have been left out and were just filler, the Alaska storyline, but I thought the story went well. I can't wait for the ending tonight.

I don't think I'll be buying the dvd. I can't imagine how much it's going to cost but for a 10 episode miniseries it won't be cheap and I can't see spending alot of money on it.
Old 12-13-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't watched it yet, but I'm going to TiVo the weekend marathon and watch it all at my own pace...
Old 12-13-02, 05:37 PM
Suspended

Well I'm liking it so far and looking forward to tonight. Still bummed I missed the first half but then I didn't even know it was this many parts, I figured it would be the usual 3-4 nights like most mini-series seem to be. I know I'll be working when the first half marathon is on so I'll prollyjust skip it. I think I'd consider the DVD if it isn't way over priced, but with 12 parts I bet we'll have 12 discs and it'll be way over $100 But I dunno if I'd watch the series on DVD more than once. I love collecting shows on DVDs but most of my box sets have been watched once and I never fealt like watching em again. I'm sure SciFi will be replaying this series a billion times though.

I thought the acting has been good all around too. Anyone know who plays Lisa and what she was in? She looks so familiar but I can't place it. Frewer has been great, I've liked him in everything I've seen him in, especially the Stand , but I'm feeling iffy with Donahue. I loved the blair witch and thought she was great, but I dunno if she's ready to play a "bad guy" just yet, or maybe she just has to just get that "eeewww" look off her face

How much of this is Spielberg's work? Did he just get paid to put his name on it? Or something more besides producer?
Old 12-13-02, 09:58 PM

Good ending - you saw it coming didn't you? How else could they have possibly ended such a huge mess?

The first ten hours was more enjoyable for me, IMHO. I figure the second half could have been rounded up in about 5 hours or less.
Old 12-13-02, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The ending i believed would happen. I know there was no sequal book but with the ratings of this 10 parter you never know what sci-fi may do

capt
Old 12-14-02, 02:00 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The ending was pretty much what I expected. 2 things that bothered me just for being dumb were

1. I thought Tom was a pretty smart guy, but how dumb do you have to be to take her to the house in Texas? Did he actually think they wouldn't eventually look there.

2. The army raid on the house at night. Using the army to kidnap a 9 year old in full view of people and TV cameras isn't a bright political move if those in charge want to keep their jobs during the next election.

Overall I thought it was good. Their was alot of stuff that could have been left out to shorten it but I guess Scifi wanted to cash in as much as possible. Ar far as a sequel it wouldn't surprise me if they tried it. They left it open with the last line Lisa spoke.
Old 12-14-02, 04:04 AM

I am happy it is over. It was a little too long and the ending was predictable. I would rate it 6.5 out of 10.

I enjoyed the first week more than the second. There were times when I had to stop myself from fast forwarding through Wednesday (12/11) and Thursday (12/12) night episodes. Charlie, Lisa, and the Crawford woman started to wear on my nerves after awhile and it was dumb of Tom to take them back to Texas. I, however, loved seeing Matt Frewer again and enjoyed Dakota Fanning’s performance.

I am happy I have a Tivo, because I would not have been able to watch Taken live because there were too many commercials nor would I have had the patience to deal with taping it.

Do the people at the Sci-Fi Channel really think people will watch The Dream Team, Tremors – The Series, and Scare Tactics?
Old 12-14-02, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I dont know what they think people would watch. You think they would learn there lessons with all the other crap they try to put on

capt
Old 12-14-02, 09:22 AM
Banned

Agreed with most others I guess... The first week was worthwhile, but I'd like my second ten hours back please. My sentiments of the finale remind me of what I wrote after episode 7... craptacular kitchen sink of loose-ended cliches. And the pacing of that last episode! This time I DID fast forward through more than just those ads for shows I have no intention of watching.

I've got to learn to give up on these cash cow tv series when they start going bad... I mean, there's a pattern here with a number of shows and I'm starting to feel like a sucker. 24, Sopranos, QAF... If Six Feet Under follows suit, I'm gonna kill my set.
Old 12-15-02, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I am at part 5 at the point where the paramedic gets picked up on the highway by his buddy. Can anyone please sum up for me what happens after that so I don't have to watch the next 10 hours?

THanks,

dg7
Old 12-15-02, 05:30 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

here the main points

Jesse was the paramedic I believe, anyway he has a son named Charlie. Jacob has a daughter named Lisa. Charlie and Lisa are taken and are mated together while in the spaceship and have a daughter named Ally. Ally is the little girl who narrates througout the series. When Ally is 9 her Lisa and here have a chance meeting with Charlie and eventually realize Charlie is Allys father. They basically spend the rest of the series running from the government and in the end Ally realizes she can't stay on Earth and live a normal life so she leaves with the Aliens.
Old 12-15-02, 06:27 PM

The aliens performed this experiment because:

Through evolution, the aliens developed powers and a higher reality, but lost basic human traits during that process. After losing their humanity, their ability to feel love, pain, desire - they decided to breed with humans to create a mixture of the two species. Ally was the end result, a human/alien hybrid that had both emotions and humanity, as well as the higher state of conscious and their powers of stopping time, altering thought, etc.

At the end, Ally saw where the military was going with their manhunt and how many people would die and suffer because of their quest for her. As the army raided Ally and her parent's hideout and a buttload of people from talk radio who showed up ganged up on the cops/military, she saw the endless stream of violence that would continue.

So she "called in" the aliens, who promptly arrived and tossed a force field on her. Then the big goodbye, feel-good ending. Mom and dad were let go.

In reality (a stretch mind you), if all this occurred, mom and dad would have been imprisoned in an army base someplace for the rest of their lives and forced to spit out baby after baby until they got another Ally. Welcome to the 'gubmint!
Old 12-15-02, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks, you just saved me 10 boring hours from what I hear
Old 12-16-02, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by homeslice
The aliens performed this experiment because:

Through evolution, the aliens developed powers and a higher reality, but lost basic human traits during that process. After losing their humanity, their ability to feel love, pain, desire - they decided to breed with humans to create a mixture of the two species. Ally was the end result, a human/alien hybrid that had both emotions and humanity, as well as the higher state of conscious and their powers of stopping time, altering thought, etc.

At the end, Ally saw where the military was going with their manhunt and how many people would die and suffer because of their quest for her. As the army raided Ally and her parent's hideout and a buttload of people from talk radio who showed up ganged up on the cops/military, she saw the endless stream of violence that would continue.

So she "called in" the aliens, who promptly arrived and tossed a force field on her. Then the big goodbye, feel-good ending. Mom and dad were let go.

In reality (a stretch mind you), if all this occurred, mom and dad would have been imprisoned in an army base someplace for the rest of their lives and forced to spit out baby after baby until they got another Ally. Welcome to the 'gubmint!
Thanks, I did not catch all of the last show. Now I can sleep in peace.
Old 12-16-02, 08:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by datagirl7
Thanks, you just saved me 10 boring hours from what I hear

You had to be there ......

Actually, I liked it for the most part, and don't feel it was a waste of time watching the whole series.
Old 12-17-02, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Here's a bit of "Taken" trivia: Joel Gretsch, who played Captain Crawford, is William Shatner's son-in-law.
Old 12-18-02, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Does anybody know the actress's name who played Dorothy (one of the support group people - a blond with a gap in her front teeth). I looked on imdb and they don't have her listed. She looked familiar but I can't figure out why and can't find her name.