Best Sellers
The Longest Day
Buy: $54.99 $24.99
DVD Blowouts
Alien [Blu-ray]
Buy: $19.99 $9.99

PDA
DVD Reviews

View Full Version : Is it worth buying the British Queen Margot?

pro-bassoonist
12-13-02, 12:07 AM
Is this disc worth the money or not....is it at least anamorphic?

I tried to find a review of the R2(British) disc but could not get my hands on anything at all....

Please comment on the quality......

pro-bassoonist
12-13-02, 11:44 AM
anyone??

Shiv Shankly
12-13-02, 11:55 AM
According to this newsgroup thread, it's anamorphic, but there isn't much about the quality otherwise. I'd like to get this one myself, since Miramax doesn't appear to be in any hurry to release it here...

Margot UK DVD (http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&threadm=8d2oqd%24lt7%241%40lure.pipex.net&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26oe%3DUTF-8%26q%3Dreine%2Bmargot%2Bdvd%2Banamorphic%26sa%3DN%26tab%3Dwg)

pro-bassoonist
12-13-02, 01:34 PM
Shiv....thank you for the link.....

They seem to disagree on the quality however (very little mentioned).....and anamorphic is mentioned

I would love to read a review of this one....and figure which version it is indeed....looks like the shorter one...

Lucas
12-13-02, 02:30 PM
The UK release of La Reine Margot is very good.

Anamorphic and very clear English subtitles. It was cheap (US$13) a few months back but the price has increased again.

pro-bassoonist
12-13-02, 05:15 PM
Lucas....tell us about the picture quality....that's what I need to know...the picture....?????

Moon33
12-13-02, 11:17 PM
No worry about the picture quality. The transfer is clear. It is the short version btw.

pro-bassoonist
12-13-02, 11:56 PM
Thank you Moon33.....considering the fact that Miramax is not planning a release anytime soon I am off to place an order.

ps
By the way the British version is the only one with English subs right (excluding any Asian "clones")?

Shiv Shankly
12-14-02, 10:26 AM
Anybody out there who can read Korean who can tell us about this this (http://www.madmad.co.kr/video/video_detail.html?video_id=489) release?

pro-bassoonist
12-14-02, 05:33 PM
I can not read Korean but this looks like a ripoff of the French version....I would avoid it!!!

Then again this is just my personal opinion....

Shiv Shankly
12-15-02, 09:35 AM
The line listing 162 (the original runtime) was what sparked my interest.

Lucas
12-16-02, 12:08 PM
Picture quality is very good (both released by Fox Pathé) with some grain. This is an 'old' DVD release (3+ years) and perhaps it could be improved (like any DVD!). I'm not too sure that the French disc is the longer version that appeared on French TV. I've seen the longer version on VHS and there's not much too interesting in the extra minutes. There was 3 versions I believe.

The original UK disc did have some compatibility problems with Toshiba DVD players (ie they refused to recognise the disc). So, buy new discs only.

The French release has no subtitles at all.

pro-bassoonist
12-16-02, 02:44 PM
Thank's Likas:

This is what I ended up ordering....

http://www.bensonsdirect.co.uk/dvd/products/5/7000000055465.htm

Let's hope it comes here safe and sound and it is the newer one you mentioned (though I did not know that there was a "newer" one)>

benjrol
12-18-02, 10:30 AM
La Reine Margot is my favorite film ever. I really want Miramax to release a R1 DVD.

I have seen the 162 minute version and I have to say I love the extras. I would be kidding myself to hope that Miramax would release the uncut version in the US.

pro-bassoonist
12-18-02, 03:27 PM
I have given up with Miramax and their foreign movies....it is a shame that they so many great foreign productions!!\

Answer: import them!!

Lucas
12-20-02, 05:39 AM
Just noticed, the UK disc is on sale at the moment for £9.99 (US$16 + shipping) from www.hmv.co.uk

Click on the sale on the front page or search for REINE in the DVD section.

pro-bassoonist
12-20-02, 11:16 AM
Thank's Lucas...but I already ordered from Benson's....besides thay have free International shipping!!

wz42
12-20-02, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
Thank's Likas:

This is what I ended up ordering....

http://www.bensonsdirect.co.uk/dvd/products/5/7000000055465.htm

Let's hope it comes here safe and sound and it is the newer one you mentioned (though I did not know that there was a "newer" one)>

Pro-bassoonist - You can order from bensonsdirect and live in the U.S. ? The About Us for Bensonsdirect says:

Bensons Direct sells only DVDs and we can only ship to UK addresses. If you require delivery outside of the UK, or you want VHS titles, please visit Bensons World

There's a disc there that's *alot* cheaper than on Bensonsworld so it'd be great if it could be ordered to North America.

pro-bassoonist
12-20-02, 10:32 PM
actually....there's not much of a difference in the titles I have looked at...Margo is only a pound more expensive....

...but to answer your question...Yes, you could order from Benson's if you live in the US!!

ps
Shipping to the US is .50p!!

wz42
12-20-02, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by pro-bassoonist
actually....there's not much of a difference in the titles I have looked at...Margo is only a pound more expensive....

...but to answer your question...Yes, you could order from Benson's if you live in the US!!

ps
Shipping to the US is .50p!!

I tried placing an order but www.bensonsdirect.co.uk only had a dropdown menu for "states" within England. Is there a way to get around this or when you say "Bensons" are you referring to www.bensonsworld.co.uk ?

Thanks for any info on this. The price difference is *great* so much so if I can't order it off the "direct" site it'd be most likely cheaper to order the R1 from Amazon.

pro-bassoonist
12-21-02, 08:19 AM
wz42....I think that I should clear this out....I used Bensonsworld.co.uk......their prices are usually a pound more than bensonsdirect.com.....which makes up for the cheap shipping.

I am not sure what do you mean by getting the r1 release from Amazon....Queen Margo is not available in r1.

Or did you mean r2 from Amazon.uk......if so, how can getting it from them is going to be any cheaper?

wz42
12-21-02, 01:52 PM
ah, that makes sense now. I was actually referring to a different disc that Bensonsdirect sells a fair bit cheaper than bensonsworld. Thanks for clearing it up.

I was hoping there was a special way for N. Americans to order from bensonsdirect.

benjrol
12-24-02, 01:36 PM
Miramax is re-releasing the VHS on February 4, 2003. Why bother?

I WANT MY QUEEN MARGOT DVD!

Sorry for the little outburst.