Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Same game, multiple platforms...which is the BEST?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-02, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was wondering if there is such a site or a thread here about some video game titles that stands out on a particular system.

I can't decide between a few games and price is also a factor.

Splinter Cell - Xbox or PS2 when it comes out
Triple Play 2002 - Xbox, GC, or PS2?
Timeslitter 2 - Xbox or PS2?
NFL Blitz 02 or 03 - Xbox, GC, or PS2?

Those are just examples of the many titles out there. I'm only asking because when I was checking out Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2, PS2 has the highest and THE BEST rating out of the three systems. I just want to get the best for my money as I'm sure most of the other folks would like that too.
Old 12-12-02, 08:52 PM
zig

I think NFS:HP2 is one of the rare games where there's a big difference between the PS2 versions and the others. Other than that, I'd just go with whatever console has the controller you like best. If you care about graphics or memory card space, the xbox is probably the best for multiplatform games most of the time.
Old 12-12-02, 08:53 PM
Mod Emeritus

XBox Splinter Cell will be better than PS2, definitely. TS2: XBOX I heard, NFL Blitz, again XBOX. TP 2002, dunno, but XBox I'd guess.
Old 12-12-02, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 961 Likes on 668 Posts
I think usually it follows the trend of the power of the system.

XBox
GCN
PS2

but this is not always the case. Usually the gaming magazines will tell you if there are multiple platforms.
Old 12-12-02, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Generally, each game is designed on a single platform and ported to others. This really isn't a system issue.

Splinter Cell likely won't port perfectly over to PS2, just like Max Payne didn't.

But Hot Pursuit 2 was crap on Xbox, and many of the EA games have inexcusable lag on the Box.

NightFire and Time Splitters were apparently designed for GC, although the scores on these came out a wash, with the Xbox version of Timesplitters having a tiny lead; like 2% higher average Gamerankings composite.

Basically, if a game has multiplay, and you think you'll use it, get it for the systems you have the controllers for. Gamecube gives you the most reasons of any console to own four controllers (with apologies to Halo fans), and Wavebirds allow a better comfort level for those multiplayer gamefests.

PS2 has it on sports. They're designed for the PS2 controller and they suffer on the others, and especially on the Gamecube, where the 2 shoulder buttons limit your options. Gamecube's controller wasn't designed for dual analog gameplay, so take that into consideration.

Xbox titles are often marginally better looking, but you have to figure out how the controls are.

Generally, the safest bet is to stick mostly to exclusives, with sports on PS2. Multiplatform games outside of the sports genre are rarely the best of anything. If you see one you want, read all the reviews you can, and make a choice based on that.
Old 12-12-02, 10:07 PM
Mod Emeritus

Meh, I'll put the S controller up against anything else out there. If they come out with a wireless version, it will easily compete with a Wavebird.
Old 12-12-02, 11:14 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by ScandalUMD

Generally, the safest bet is to stick mostly to exclusives, with sports on PS2. Multiplatform games outside of the sports genre are rarely the best of anything. If you see one you want, read all the reviews you can, and make a choice based on that.
That's definitely true. Off the top of my head, I can't think of a single non-sports multiplatform title that I'd rate as an AAA title.
Old 12-12-02, 11:30 PM

Here's my thoughts on cross platform games. Most games are designed for the PS2 first, since it has the highest install base, i.e. most money, and then usually tweaked or farmed out when brought to the GC and XB. Theoretically, the XB should have the best version, followed by the GC, and then the PS2. However, when developers use the LCD, the PS2, they're not using the full potential of the "more powerful" systems. If you are fortunate to own all, I'd probably say go with the XB version, but definitely try and research your options. You also have to consider which controller you prefer. I think the GC controller is comfy, but not ideal for certain games (like fighting games). You can also take into consideration online capabilities (the PS2 versions of THPS3 and THPS4 can go online, but not other versions). Also, some games may have extra features compared to the other versions (ex.: Spider-Man for the XB has some extra characters and whatnot). To each their own.
Old 12-13-02, 12:41 AM

If you have a HDTV then X-Box is the only one that nearly always has 480p. And 5.1 sound. Controller- S is great. So if you have a stereo and HDTV........

The only games I buy for my other systems is if they are exclusive to that system...Metroid, GTA3:VC etc. I can't stand the crappy textures used in most of my PS2 games. I would love an X-Box version of Devil May Cry or the Resident Evils'. (Cube rarely does 480p and has weak sound)

I also think the Box is best for sports. Although the PS2 controller is much better for SSX Tricky, I need those 4 shoulder buttons.

It irks me when reviews say" X-box has a slight edge graphically" but they make no mention of progressive scan. I do not like interlaced games on my HDTV. They tend to look sort of blurry, so that alone makes me lean towards the X-Box version. Although most good reviews are starting to mention progressive scan more as HDTV becomes a little more common.

On NFS:HP2, the games were developed by different companies. PC, X-Box and Cube users got a completely different game than PS2 gamers. That is why the disparity in the scores. PS2 game is much better than the dreck for all the other systems. This is the exception, not the rule though.

By the way do you have all 3 systems already?
Old 12-13-02, 01:00 AM

Playing in Dolby Digital on the Xbox is a form of satisfaction that even the much-hyped PLII cannot match

I tend to stick to which system it was designed for as well as primary .... sometimes on ports developers will spend the time to correct bugs/add content (a la Dead to Rights) and then it becomes a matter of preference.

For me, when it's released on all systems at once, Xbox is first choice, PS2 and GC I seem to only own the exclusives for.
Old 12-13-02, 01:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Now that I have all three it takes a great deal of research to figure what system to buy for.

I bought Tiger Woods 2003 for PS2 because I prefer the PS2 controller for golf games and my game saves from 2002 gave me a head start.

I bought Nightfire on XBOX because I planned on playing a great deal as multiplayer with buddies and the 4 controller ports made it easier.

As people stated games are normally made for 1 system and ported so 1 will tend to be stronger. When it's too close to call go for what you like. My PS2 memory cards are getting full so if I had to pick I'd got XBOX all the way unless the XBOX versions are crappy ports.
Old 12-13-02, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I own all three consoles and I usually buy the XBOX version. Most of the multi-platform games I own are sports titles though. There's usually not much difference between sports games, content-wise, so I much prefer them on the XBOX. Most people seem to prefer the PS2 versions, but I think they are just as good, if not better, on the XBOX. Better picture, better sound, and the controls are just as good IMO. Other than sports games, I don't think I really have any cross-platform games, except for Splinter Cell, which isn't on the other systems yet. I'd just go with whichever controller and system you like better.
Old 12-13-02, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Same game, multiple platforms...which is the BEST?

Splinter Cell - Xbox or PS2 when it comes out
Easily X-Box. I just cannot belive that the PS2 will look graphically on par with the X-Box version. The controls may be slightly easier, but this game was built around the X-Box.

Triple Play 2002 - Xbox, GC, or PS2?
How about none of the above? EA has scrapped the Triple Play series and sent their baseball franchise to EA Canada in the form of MVP Baseball. You'd be better off getting World Series Baseball on the X-Box if you need a baseball game now or wait until around March when the new batch comes out (WSB will be on all platforms).

Timeslitter 2 - Xbox or PS2?
Difficult one. Each system runs it at 60 fps and I have played it on both systems. The PS2 has slightly better control and this game is not any graphical tour-de-force to have to worry about which one has the best graphics. I would recommend getting this game only if you are into multiplayer. The single-player campaign is great, but you'll blow through it in no time.

NFL Blitz 02 or 03 - Xbox, GC, or PS2?
Toss up. Once again, this game is not a graphical tour-de-force. You really only have to worry about 2 buttons, so it all depends on which controller you like the most.

In most cases I buy multi-platform games on the X-Box unless something is seriously wrong with that version (like in the case of NFS: HP2). The PS2 still arguably has the best controller, but only because of the L2 and R2 buttons which are easily accessible in relation to the white and black button on the X-Box controller.

My biggest thing is the amount of memory taken for the game. The GC is usually the last system I would get a multi-platform game for because of the limitations of the memory cards. The PS2's memory cards can fill up quite fast if you're really into sports games and franchise modes. With the X-Box you have a hard drive that everything is saved on...no need to worry about space limitations or anything.

And as others had said, NFS: HP2's X-Box, GC and PC ports were done by a different company. When originally announced, the game was ONLY coming to the PS2...they added the other ones later. They were obviously looking to cash in on it.

The key thing is to be on the lookout of another NFS: HP2-type problem. Of course you may not know until it is too late.
Old 12-13-02, 01:01 PM

Re: Re: Same game, multiple platforms...which is the BEST?

Originally posted by AgtFox
How about none of the above? EA has scrapped the Triple Play series and sent their baseball franchise to EA Canada in the form of MVP Baseball. You'd be better off getting World Series Baseball on the X-Box if you need a baseball game now or wait until around March when the new batch comes out (WSB will be on all platforms).
Someone beat me to it... Triple Play?!? For the love of all that is good in gaming, avoid Triple Play! Besides, the new baseball games are out in less than 2 months now (February, not March).

At least switch over to All-Star Baseball if you still want to analyze a multiplatform baseball game from last season for any advantages/disadvantages. It was this year's top-selling baseball game, and many would happily argue that it deserved to be.
Old 12-14-02, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Generally, each game is designed on a single platform and ported to others. This really isn't a system issue.

Splinter Cell likely won't port perfectly over to PS2, just like Max Payne didn't.
Max Payne was a PC game first, it was made for a mouse and keyboard...
Old 12-14-02, 04:10 AM

I agree with the above consensus: XBox over GC, PS2 last.

For example: look at iGNs review of Jedi OUtcast. The XBox game gets an 8.8, the GC veresion gets a 7.4. Why? 99% of it boiled down to gameplay controls. GC controller is an amazing layout, but just a few buttons short. Graphically, I love the GCs framerate and ability to stay with the XBox, but games just don't play as well because of limited controller capacity.

For example, lets compare my favorite Xbox game to my favorite GC game: Halo vs. Metroid Prime.

Lets say I wanted to aim up, strafe, and fire, a pretty common move.

XBox: Aim up using targeting stick
Strafe using using movement stick
Fire

GC: Press L button to activate vertical aiming
Press down on control stick to look up
Press R button to activate strafe
Move control stick to side to strafe
Fire with A button

this move on the GC is virtually impossible top pull unless you are someone who holds the controller in a very awkward way. Of course, the good people at Nintendo know this, hence the auto taregt feature to avoid having to do this, but this is a simple move that simply exceeds the capacity of the GC controller- and this isn't some shoddily designed game, this is THE signature game for the GC!

the GC controller is simply too limited in its capabilities, and it's for this reason more than any other that I would choose an Xbox over a GC if the same game were released. Graphics would probably be better on Xbox, framerate would probbaly be better on GC, but gameplay would DEFINITELY be better on Xbox.

If this wasn't convincing enogh, the DD5.1 pushes it way over the top in favor of Xbox
Old 12-14-02, 04:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

How hard is it to check for that specific game? If you go by the XBox 1st rule you would have got the short end of Turok.
Old 12-14-02, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by joltaddict
How hard is it to check for that specific game? If you go by the XBox 1st rule you would have got the short end of Turok.
You get the short end by just picking up Turok for any system
Old 12-14-02, 10:26 AM
Banned

For sports games, I'd say EA Sports games on PS2 and Sega Sports games on X Box.