Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Do all Wal Mart electronics suck?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay here's the thing, about 4 years ago I bought a television from Wal Mart. It's an RCA. About 3 months after I buy the stupid thing, it starts giving me problems. Namely, it makes this high frequency "whistling" sound that comes from the RF port where you connect the cable television wire. I call Wal Mart and they essentially tell me "the warranty expired so you're out of luck".

Now fast forward to 2001, I buy a DVD player from Wal Mart ( An Apex 500W). I figure I can't have the same problem twice in a row. Again it worked fine for 3 months and then it gave me problems. Namely skipping on just about EVERY DVD I own. I was bringing so many movies back then it dawned on me that all the movies I'm buying can't be defective. Again I called Wal Mart and they gave me the same line, "the warranty is expired and you're out of luck".

Is this just me or does every piece of electronic equipment that comes from Wal Mart explode, meltdown or just stops working after a while? My case can't be isolated.

Old 12-10-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"the warranty expired so you're out of luck".

the TV has to have a warranty longer then 1 month or 2?

ts
Old 12-10-02, 05:56 PM

by law 3 months is the minimum a manufacter has to offer you for a warranty. and believe me, they have it down to a science... if i had a dollar for everytime i heard of someone's dvd player doing out like 2-3 days after its out of warranty, i would be a rich man.

do 2 things, just buy shampoo at wal-mart and forget about getting your electronics there, or see if they offer extended warranties.
Old 12-10-02, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, walmart carries RCA and Apex. What do you expect?
Old 12-10-02, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by asabase
Well, walmart carries RCA and Apex. What do you expect?
You need to step up to Emerson for quality at Wal Mart.
Old 12-10-02, 09:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 27'' RCA I bought at Wal-Mart 6 years ago. No problems.

Some of us can't afford a $500 27'' Sony.
Old 12-10-02, 09:59 PM

6 years ago rca made ok stuff... not anymore.

plus, a panasonic isnt much more than an rca. you end up spending like $50 more, but it lasts twice as long.
Old 12-11-02, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Bring it to wal mart and exchange it. They will almost never say no. I used to work there, we once had a lady who bought a comforter left it in her closet for YEARS her cat peed on it and Wal-Mart took it back.

Shadow
Old 12-11-02, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shadowhawk2020
Bring it to wal mart and exchange it. They will almost never say no. I used to work there, we once had a lady who bought a comforter left it in her closet for YEARS her cat peed on it and Wal-Mart took it back.
People at my local Wal-Mart used to buy artificial Christmas trees, use them during Christmas, and then return them afterwards. A few local Wal-Marts have started only allowing people to return trees for the lower, after-Christmas clearance price.

I bought a 27" Phillips TV for my bedroom and a 27" RCA tv for my S.O.'s apartment, and both are working fine. My Visa card lets me double the warranty on any purchase I make, so that helps extend the manufacturer's warranty. Sometimes, Murphy's Law will just kick in though, no matter what you do.
Old 12-21-02, 01:55 PM
Banned

Stay away from Wal mart, when buying electronics, or any other A/V componets. If you want halfway decent quality, then check out: Circuit City, or Best Buy.
But for far more better quality such as high end, or state of the art equipment see a professional A/V dealer near you.
Old 12-23-02, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
IMHO you get what you pay for.
Old 12-23-02, 08:59 AM
Premium Member

I got a 6.8" portable DVD (Initial / Shinco) there about 6 months ago and it rocks. I could noto even beat the price in Hong Kong!!!

But for the most part they are looking for the bottom price point from each manufacture. So you are buying the cheapest think the company can make.