Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD & Home Theater Gear
Reload this Page >

Does this happen on a non-projection TV?

Community
Search
DVD & Home Theater Gear Discuss DVD and Home Theater Equipment.

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-02, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone run into this situation? I've recently watched Scooby-Doo (live action) & Kung Pow: Enter the Fist and noticed that some of the text (that runs close to the screen edge at the beginning of each movie) run off screen. I have a Mits. Rear-Projection TV and figure maybe my screen is out of alignment? The TV has a way to center the image and I've tried it in every position, but the words still get cut off.

One scene I remember quite well was in Scooby-Doo where Fred and Thelma are talking in the airport and Fred shows her his book (which is basically at the far left edge of the screen), my tv cuts off like half of the book, making it difficult to read the title.

The scene in Kung Pow is at the beginning where you first see him walking through the desert-like area and the titles and intro credits come up. Some of the text on the left hand side of the screen gets cut off...

Has anyone noticed this? Is this something that projection TV's are known for?

p.s. I wasn't sure if this should go in the 'DVD & Home Theater Hardware' forum, but I thought I'd try here first to make sure it isn't a DVD issue.
Old 12-10-02, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts
It's called "overscan". A person trained as a calibrator can fix this problem. Another possibillity is that the tv may have a zoom, or stretch mode. I'm not familiar with Mits. tv's, but most have them.
Old 12-10-02, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yup, most likely the overscan... Or, the horizontal alignment is off. Or both... At any rate, it can be fixed in the service menu with Avia or Video Essentials. If you don't feel comfortable doing this, call your local shop or Mitsu authorized folk.
Old 12-10-02, 02:17 PM

Originally posted by parrotheads4
It's called "overscan". A person trained as a calibrator can fix this problem. Another possibillity is that the tv may have a zoom, or stretch mode. I'm not familiar with Mits. tv's, but most have them.
The tv has all those zoom/stretch modes, but I understand them all so it's not a case of having it accidentally turned on (I watch everything in 'normal' mode anyways)

I figured it was possibly some sort of 'overscan' or cropping that is common in projection tv's. I also have the control where I can move the picture around (a few inches left, right, up or down), but even with it all the way to the right, it still crops the left off so I thought I'd double check to see if anyone else experienced it.

The other thing that got me thinking was the 1.66:1 ratios? I think that's the one I'm thinking of...the one where the black bars are VERY small? I think The Truman Show was like this. It says it's widescreen letterbox, but are these movies shot this way or are they slightly zoomed in to compromise halfway between fullframe and 16x9?
Old 12-10-02, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
No, Darth, it isn't the movies. Your TV is overscanning and needs to be adjusted.
Old 12-10-02, 05:53 PM

call the store where you got it and have a tech come out. this is NOT something that can be done by you, mitsubishi's need to be opened up and aligned.

if its new (<1 year), you are in luck! if not, expect to pay a couple hundred to have someone adjust that for you. unless of course you got the extended warranty, where its usually covered.
Old 12-10-02, 06:54 PM

Thanks everyone, now that I think about it, when I use the condensing feature that adds the grey bars to each side of the screen so you can watch a 3x4 show, the bars aren't the same width.

Since my tv is almost a year old, I might have to live with it.
Old 12-10-02, 07:00 PM

those bars arent supposed to be the same width.

what happens with a mitsubishi tv is when you make it 4x3, it changes the width of those bars each time. it does this so you dont have a line burned in. if they were always even, there would be a nice burn in line .

so uneven gray bars is normal.

Originally posted by DarthMarklar
Thanks everyone, now that I think about it, when I use the condensing feature that adds the grey bars to each side of the screen so you can watch a 3x4 show, the bars aren't the same width.

Old 12-10-02, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by DarthMarklar

It sounds like you have a Mits HDTV widescreen set from last year. I have the 55819 and I adjusted my overscan to 4.5% all around by performing the tweaks found in the tweaks section of hometheaterspot.com. If you feel comfortable going into the service menu and have a copy of Avia this is pretty easy to fix yourself.

As for the grey bars not being the same width in narrow mode; this is the way that Mits tvs are designed. The grey bars and your image will change horizontal position from time to time very gradually so that burn in of the CRTs is avoided. Any static image left on for prolong periods of time will cause uneven wear of the CRTs so by moving the image ever so slightly this is avoided. So sometimes the bar on the right will look wider than the left and tomorrow it might be reversed but the amount of image you see is always the same because the image moves with the bars left or right.
Old 12-10-02, 07:46 PM

Originally posted by chipmac
It sounds like you have a Mits HDTV widescreen set from last year. I have the 55819 and I adjusted my overscan to 4.5% all around by performing the tweaks found in the tweaks section of hometheaterspot.com. If you feel comfortable going into the service menu and have a copy of Avia this is pretty easy to fix yourself.
Mines HD-Ready...the WT-46807 (Last years model). I'll check out that web site.

Originally posted by chipmac
As for the grey bars not being the same width in narrow mode; this is the way that Mits tvs are designed. The grey bars and your image will change horizontal position from time to time very gradually so that burn in of the CRTs is avoided. Any static image left on for prolong periods of time will cause uneven wear of the CRTs so by moving the image ever so slightly this is avoided. So sometimes the bar on the right will look wider than the left and tomorrow it might be reversed but the amount of image you see is always the same because the image moves with the bars left or right.
Thanks...It makes sense, even though it seems like the bars on the left have been wider than the ones on the right for quite some time now (probably 6 months?). How slow is the change?
Old 12-10-02, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The change is real small rather than slow and since I don't use that mode too often I'm not certain if it changes with each time you turn it on or each time you switch to that mode. I don't think it moves as you're watching it though. If it is each time you turn it on even if you don't use that mode again for a few weeks it might seem like it's in the same place as the last time since it might have changed several positions and is back to that point again.