Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

It is because of my deep love of joshhinkle that I bought a gamecube...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-02, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

okay, maybe not.

I finally bought the GC because of the recent rebates, etc. and the fact that my mother said to buy it and she would pay for it so she could scratch me off the Christmas list.

What made me go with GC when I had not real qualms with any of them? The PS2 was my no brainer because of the library and backward support (though I still have my PS1, anyway). The X-box was another I considered heavily because of the 2 games, and I think it is the best "machine." The GC was not really even in consideration. What finally did it was the wavebird. That makes it worth it. Getting me there was also the fact that they will come out with an adapter for the GBA games. That put me on the edge....but the wavebird made me jump. I always knew I would eventually get it for the Mario games, etc., but figured it would be last on the list.

And I have never played or even seen Resident Evil, but have heard so much for it, that I bought it as well.

Anyway, just the story of stupid kvr. I'm not one to bash consoles, nor do I have any loyalties, but I know some people are interested in why people choose one over the other.
Old 12-09-02, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I had a Best Buy employee look at me funny when I told her the games were for me She said it was a kiddie system. I held up the back of Jedi Outcast and asked - this is for kids? And she said yes kids and preteens.

Old 12-09-02, 02:53 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being a moron is a requirement for employment at Best Buy.

I hope your happy with your puchase Dave, though it sounds like the PS2 might have been a better choice for you, give that you sounded more impressed with it's game lineup.
Old 12-09-02, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dave, check out Smugglers Run: Warzone at Best Buy for 20 bucks this week. Awesome game for that much money. Congrats on your new GC too.
Old 12-09-02, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I had a Best Buy employee look at me funny when I told her the games were for me She said it was a kiddie system. I held up the back of Jedi Outcast and asked - this is for kids? And she said yes kids and preteens.

Show them Eternal Darkness and Resident Evil/Resident Evil 0...I'd like to see them try to say it is for kids and preteens...heh. If it is they may have some nightmares playing those games
Old 12-09-02, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

check out Smugglers Run: Warzone at Best Buy for 20 bucks this week.
Is this for real? I almost bought this game for full price when it first came out but I thought better of it. It definitely seems worth $20 though. Any thoughts?
Old 12-09-02, 04:14 PM
Mod Emeritus

Is this different than the Smuggler's Run that came out right away for the PS2? How is it?
Old 12-09-02, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

SR: Warzones is the superior version of the 3 available according to IGN. Warzones is equal to the PS2 game SR2, with extra missions, multi-player games, and vehicles, etc. PLus better graphics.

This is not a game on sale, rather a game I found on the shelves for 20 bucks. I highly recommend it for that much money.
Old 12-09-02, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle

I hope your happy with your puchase Dave, though it sounds like the PS2 might have been a better choice for you, give that you sounded more impressed with it's game lineup.
Some day I'll get the PS2, but I am in no hurry. I probably won't have time to play this much anyway. And, actually, the impressibe part of the PS2 lineup to me was the "Greatest Hits" selections (based mainly on price), and that isn't a big deal to a bargain hunter, anyway. Besides, Metroid Prime was $31 after rebate, and resident evil was around $15. Tough to complain.
Old 12-09-02, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk God

And it looks like Smuggler's Run is $19.99 at bestbuy.com as well. Thanks for the heads up. Looks to still be $49.99 at buy.com and others.
Old 12-09-02, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

okay, maybe not.
Well, that's why I bought mine.

<small>Well, that and Mario, Metroid, and Zelda.</small>
Old 12-09-02, 10:31 PM

Buy Metroid Prime!!!

...you can thank me later.
Old 12-10-02, 03:33 AM

You want some real kiddie games? Buy Super Monkey Ball and Super Monkey Ball 2.

Oh wait. Those games get damn near impossible.
Old 12-10-02, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Congrats on your purchase! I think all 3 systems have some great games on it so no matter which one we will find some great games on each! I picked up an Xbox last week and having fun, but damn I do wish I can play Metroid Prime!
Old 12-10-02, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just got a gamecube...it rocks. I'm dying to play Metroid Prime, but it's on my Christmas list, so I'll have to wait... but having a hell of a time with Eternal Darkness and Mario Sunshine... two really wicked games, very happy with the system.

MATT
Old 12-10-02, 03:06 PM

LastBlade,

go the the 'best deal on GameCube" forum, and follow those instructions to get a GC plus Prime for $85.00 (this week only because rebates expire). Then, play Prime till you hearts content, and sell it and the GC, actually turning a fat profit.
Old 12-10-02, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good Choice Dave.
GC is awesome.

Get NCAA 2003 Football !
Old 12-10-02, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by jabbas
LastBlade,

go the the 'best deal on GameCube" forum, and follow those instructions to get a GC plus Prime for $85.00 (this week only because rebates expire). Then, play Prime till you hearts content, and sell it and the GC, actually turning a fat profit.
Can't buddy, I purchased an xbox and steel battalion last week. Mucho money gone... cannot justify another system purchase for awhile
Old 12-10-02, 04:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just picked up a GC and Metroid Prime the day before Thanksgiving (early Christmas present from my mom) and I have to say that I'm HIGHLY impressed by it. Out of the three systems, I assumed that it would be the last that I picked up, but having played Metroid Prime for around 13 or 14 hours of game time (still not quite done with it yet), rented Resident Evil 0 and borrowed Mario Sunshine from my 11 year old cousin, I've become quite content with my choice. Mario Sunshine is addictive, yet frustrating at times as with all Mario games.
Old 12-10-02, 09:29 PM

I bought a GC on Sunday and I'm in love. I have a PS2 and was torn between the GC and X-Box but Metroid, Mario, and Zelda (and the reissue of Ocarina) forced me to settle with Nintendo.

Or maybe its because I'm reading Game Over at the moment, the history of Nintendo...
Old 12-11-02, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by Struz
Good Choice Dave.
GC is awesome.

Get NCAA 2003 Football !
How's the AI? I got no one to play with until my boy ages a few more years
Old 12-11-02, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by kvrdave
How's the AI? I got no one to play with until my boy ages a few more years
There are sliders for basically everything if you feel the computer is too easy/hard. There are 4 difficulty levels as well.

I play sports games single-player most of the time...it is a rarity that a friend comes over and wants to play a sports game with me and I would never be able to convince my wife to play with me on a sports game.